2014 KHL Draft

Kennel

Aug 17, 2012
Jokerit's player coordinator Janne Vuorinen
http://www.jokerit.com/vuorinen-tyytyvainen-draftin-antiin

Semi-drunk translation:
What kind of vibes did you get from the first draft session?
Very positive. All arrangements went fine and we were able to draft pretty much the players we wanted.

How did you prepare?
We had precise information about the Nordic players who we pursued. Personally, I've seen several matches of each of our draftees. Naturally we used coaches and other contacts to help our planning.

What principles were used?
Our objective was to get players who have potential to join Jokerit in the future. The first phase is that they break in their own team among the adults. After that, the natural step would be joining Jokerit in KHL.

Of course we understand that their main goal is NHL. Every player has his personal development and therefore their career's are unique. It's quite possible that talented young Finns are playing in Jokerit.

In practice, what does the draft mean for the next season?
Drafted players stay in their team and we believe they all have possibility to develope there. We'll observe each individual and keep an eye on them.

Is KHL draft necessary?
I believe so, even though European sports culture is different than North American, where drafting has been commonplace for several years. If we can find the right pieces in the draft it will be a great help for Jokerit in the future.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Kozyrev is an easier loss to swallow, then Podluboshnov, karnaukhov, krashennikov etc...even though, the guy is on u17 NT (one of the candidates) but CSKA school is strong, and many try to poach.

Zhebelev - he may bolt to CHL after this draft! I thought he projects to be a decent player....

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Did I miss any interesting drafts of players from smaller nations? Like Germany Switzerland, France, Norway, Denmark etc.

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Thanks! Good website to see the list.

I think that also Luka Zorko from Slovenia is an interesting pick. Very small hockey nation. But apart from him only Roger Karrer.

Last year we saw players from Japan, South Korea and Denmark, and the year before Norway and Germany if I remember correctly. This year not so many "exotic" players.

I'm actually a bit surprised to see so few Swiss players on the draft. The country is probably the biggest hockey nation among the smaller ones. They have a lot of talent.

Also Germany, Denmark and Norway should have more potential to get draft picks in the KHL than NHL in my opinion. Should be some potential players each draft. How come so few are picked? Perhaps to play it more safe with their picks.

Bu players like Mattias Norstebo from Norway and Leon Draisaitl from Germany should be very attractive.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think that also Luka Zorko from Slovenia is an interesting pick. Very small hockey nation. But apart from him only Roger Karrer.

Last year we saw players from Japan, South Korea and Denmark, and the year before Norway and Germany if I remember correctly. This year not so many "exotic" players.

I'm actually a bit surprised to see so few Swiss players on the draft. The country is probably the biggest hockey nation among the smaller ones. They have a lot of talent.

Also Germany, Denmark and Norway should have more potential to get draft picks in the KHL than NHL in my opinion. Should be some potential players each draft. How come so few are picked? Perhaps to play it more safe with their picks.

Bu players like Mattias Norstebo from Norway and Leon Draisaitl from Germany should be very attractive.

Zorko is Slovenian but since he's already playing in the MHL and is quite successful there one could've seen him being drafted.

Small number of drafted Swiss players is no surprise too since they have NLA and a number of Swiss players who are too good for NLA and not good enough for NHL is extremely small, which is also quite evident from the fact that Martin Gerber is the only Swiss player who has ever played in the KHL.

I think the same reason applies to Germans, Danes and etc., there are just too many risks involved that at the end of the day that pick is going to be useless. I mean Russian clubs only have 5 spots for foreigners and they are filled with players on top of their games so if you draft a 16 year-old German you have to hope he won't make it in the NHL, then wait until he outgrows DEL and is a good fit 10 years later.

Like Nostrebo and Draisaitl. One is likely to never be good enough to play in the KHL, the other one is bound to be too good to ever play in the KHL so the margins to pick a "right" foreigner is extremely thin. Sure, it's different for non-Russian clubs but it does show in the way they draft.

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Yes you are right I believe, the risk is not worth taking I would assume. Still I will hope to see more "exotic" players in future drafts, from NHL also.

Domenica

Draft Day

It appeared that Lada Tolyatti were going to have to wait until the second round, since they'd traded their first-rounder to Avtomobilist. However, Avtomobilist then used that pick, the 42nd of the draft, to try to select forward Denis Guryanov... from Lada's youth system. The Tolyatti team vetoed the selection and took Guryanov for themselves.

I think the vetoing is the best thing about the KHL draft.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Draft 2015, midseason preliminary rating of russian prospects

1 Dmitri Sokolov, F, Avangard Omsk
2 German Rubtsov, F, Vityaz
3 Maxim Afanasev, D, Lokomotiv
4 Michail Sergachev, D, Ak Bars
5 Egor Zaytsev, D, Dinamo Moscow
6 Alexander Yakovenko, D, Traktor
7 Pavel Ryzhenkov, D, Ak Bars
8 Vitaly Abramov, F, Traktor