Prospect Info: 2014 Habs Board Prospect Rankings #7

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Michael McCarron is the big guy. He is slow, and did not have a good 1st ohl season, but he can work on his skating, and Tinordi also did not have a great 1st ohl season at the same age, and he is now our 2nd best prospect.

Wrong

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Poll loses all credibility if Nygren is a better prospect than Mac.

It already lost credibility when people voted based on their personal opinions of Nygren leaving and draft position. Nygren is clearly our most ready NHL prospect and has top pairing potential.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
It already lost credibility when people voted based on their personal opinions of Nygren leaving and draft position. Nygren is clearly our most ready NHL prospect and has top pairing potential.

You're mistaken if you think everybody makes their evaluation the same way as you do. Personally, a prospect being NHL ready doesn't make me rank him higher if his potential is a #7 D like 'say Pateryn.

That top pairing potential claim is pushing it too, let's see how he does in the NHL first, as he hasn't played ONE game yet. He certainly has the offense, but does he have the defensive acumen, the mobility and the durability to handle first pairing duties? I have serious doubts.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

I hope.

Voted Nygren

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011

Slow may be the wrong word since we saw a clear upgrde since his drafting, but his skating still needs to be worked.

When I look at him skating, I find it a bit of awkward. But that can be work.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
As of right now, I think it is between 5 players that all brings something different.

Arturri Lehkonen is that small skilly prospect. At this point, he has more upside that any other choices.

Michael McCarron is the big guy. He is slow, and did not have a good 1st ohl season, but he can work on his skating, and Tinordi also did not have a great 1st ohl season at the same age, and he is now our 2nd best prospect.

Charles Hudon is the small hard working player, who could become a good 3rd player on an offensive line. His defensive play is good, and he has a great hockey IQ. But, at 20 years old, he is already injury prone, and while he is small, that is not good. If he can overcome this, I could see a future line with Hudon-Galcheyuk-Scherbak.

Magnus Nygren is the offensive PMD. He has good upsides, but he wouldn't be the first defenseman to show great thing in Europe, and not being able to esthablish in NA. Plus the fact he do not want to play in Hamilton.

Greg Pateryn is the more sure thing, and NHL Ready. But, I don't think he will be anything more than a #5-6 defenseman.

I never saw Sekac, so I cannot say anything about him, and I think I'm going to vote for Lehkonen.

Add Dumont. Delmas is no longer a habs prospect

I have Reway ahead of Hudon.

I also can't comment on Sekac, but also don't want to comment on McCarron and Nygren. I haven't seen any of them excel against AHL players or in a North American League. McCarron may turn things around, but I can't rank him ahead of people like Lehkonen who accomplished a lot at the world juniors.

Lehkonen. Add Dumont.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

Does that include Beaulieu and Tinordi?
If so, that's some pretty high praise. From the little I've seen of him in europe and in the A, he seems to have the fundamentals to be a solid NHL-caliber defenseman. Not sure on his upside yet.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Does that include Beaulieu and Tinordi?
If so, that's some pretty high praise. From the little I've seen of him in europe and in the A, he seems to have the fundamentals to be a solid NHL-caliber defenseman. Not sure on his upside yet.

He was significantly and clearly better than them in the AHL.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Maybe so, but I felt Beaulieu was significantly better during his call up than what he was showing in the AHL.

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
Poll loses all credibility if Nygren is a better prospect than Mac.

Sorry what? Nygren has decent upside and has just come off a really good season. McCarron has very little upside and has come off a very poor season, I can see why people are voting for him.

Personally I like Lehkonen the most.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
I have Reway ahead of Hudon.

I also can't comment on Sekac, but also don't want to comment on McCarron and Nygren. I haven't seen any of them excel against AHL players or in a North American League. McCarron may turn things around, but I can't rank him ahead of people like Lehkonen who accomplished a lot at the world juniors.

Lehkonen. Add Dumont.

This is not how I would rank them, those a just 5 players that I feel could of been my choice, because they all bring something that the others don't.

I do not say that Hudon is better than Reway, but as a small skilly guy, Lehkonen is better than Reway IMO. Hudon brings something else in a small hard worker, so depending on what you look for, Hudon could be your guy.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Can someone explain what is that we are measuring here? is the potential of becoming an NHL player? talent? charisma?....I really don't understand.

You should vote on the overall value of the prospect. Say you would trade him, who do you think fetches the biggest return ? Say you keep him, who has the best value to the organisation ? This takes into account the whole value of the player and not only upside/developpement.

As for Tokarski, a 10 game streak is nothing in the NHL. He's already 24 and counting. He's two years younger than Price. Hardly a gem.

We should flip him while his value is somewhat high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad