Prospect Info: 2014 Habs Board Prospect Rankings #2

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Zykov, Sherback and De la rose is still a possibility though.

All in all, I'm not happy with this pick. A first rounder should be considered to be one of your top prospect after one year.

I don't even know if he's top 10 right now FFS

He would've been a perfect second round pick. Not a first rounder. And I know I was excited about him on draft day, just not in the 1st.

But what's the difference if De La Rose was, hypothetically, ranked above McCarron on Timmins' list but they took McCarron first knowing full well he'd be gone by their first second round pick? You still end up with the same prospects.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
But what's the difference if De La Rose was, hypothetically, ranked above McCarron on Timmins' list but they took McCarron first knowing full well he'd be gone by their first second round pick? You still end up with the same prospects.

You think De la rose was a worthy pick for the top round ? I don't. Both low upside picks.

Great prospects, really. But low upside.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
At 25? Absolutely.

He was probably a better pick at 25 than McCarron for sure.

We still got him in the second, so its irrelevant. What is relevant is that we picked McCarron over way better prospects.

Klimchuck, Theodore, Dickinson, Hartman, McCoshen, Erne, Zykov and Petan for once are all much better.

We do need size, but we also need skill. A guy like Dickinson would give us just that.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal

We still got him in the second, so its irrelevant. What is relevant is that we picked McCarron over way better prospects.

Klimchuck, Theodore, Dickinson, Hartman, McCoshen, Erne, Zykov and Petan for once are all much better.

We do need size, but we also need skill. A guy like Dickinson would give us just that.

I think what's relevant is the Habs probably got both the guys they targetted. And McCarron is a hell of a unique prospect. It's clear that he's a longer term project, but at over 6'5, with his skillset, it's hard to make any judgements against his peers until he's a pro.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think what's relevant is the Habs probably got both the guys they targetted. And McCarron is a hell of a unique prospect. It's clear that he's a longer term project, but at over 6'5, with his skillset, it's hard to make any judgements against his peers until he's a pro.

What is McCarron skill set exactly ? I just see a big goofy kids overpowering small kids.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
Hesitated between Slick Nik and DLR. Went with Jacob. My expectations of Tinordi have lowered just a smidge. I'll have him at #4

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
What is McCarron skill set exactly ? I just see a big goofy kids overpowering small kids.

... Really?

He has a heavy, pro-level shot. His hands and skating are remarkable for a guy his size. It's just a question of putting it all together. The improvement has been there consistently since the beginning of his draft year (2012). Not much else I can say here if you can't see the qualities he brings to the table.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
... Really?

He has a heavy, pro-level shot. His hands and skating are remarkable for a guy his size. It's just a question of putting it all together. The improvement has been there consistently since the beginning of his draft year (2012). Not much else I can say here if you can't see the qualities he brings to the table.

What are the NHL comparables ?

Point is, no player of his type ever panned out aside from Lucic.

All his "skills" come from him being bigger and stronger than everybody. This doesn't happen in the NHL.

I hope more than anyone that he pans out and becomes a top 6 forward.

But what are the chances ?

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
What are the NHL comparables ?

Point is, no player of his type ever panned out aside from Lucic.

All his "skills" come from him being bigger and stronger than everybody. This doesn't happen in the NHL.

I hope more than anyone that he pans out and becomes a top 6 forward.

But what are the chances ?

Don't you find it funny that comparables usually stop when players turn pro? Or that most first rounders are compared to HOF players? That's probably because it's a lazy and ineffective way to evaluate a player. Especially a guy like McCarron.

Bottom line is he's a truly unique prospect.

Anyway, this thread isn't about him, though I think I explained my point of view.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Don't you find it funny that comparables usually stop when players turn pro? Or that most first rounders are compared to HOF players? That's probably because it's a lazy and ineffective way to evaluate a player. Especially a guy like McCarron.

Bottom line is he's a truly unique prospect.

Anyway, this thread isn't about him, though I think I explained my point of view.

You're right, it isn't about him. But it should damn well be. And that was the purpose of my first post.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012

At the time of the draft I was all for Ryan Hartman but in hindsight, I would take Jason Dickinson or Shea Theodore instead of McCarron.

Petan is skilled but just too small. Erne and Zykov both fell to the 2nd round. 8 and 11 teams passed those two other tha just us. There must be something involved in that decision that we, the fans don't know. I personally see middle 6 scorers in those 2. Klimchuk and McCoshen would be decent adds to our prospect pool but would rather have Dickinson or Theodore.

Those are the only 2 I would take over the package that McCarron brings.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
At the time of the draft I was all for Ryan Hartman but in hindsight, I would take Jason Dickinson or Shea Theodore instead of McCarron.

Petan is skilled but just too small. Erne and Zykov both fell to the 2nd round. 8 and 11 teams passed those two other tha just us. There must be something involved in that decision that we, the fans don't know. I personally see middle 6 scorers in those 2. Klimchuk and McCoshen would be decent adds to our prospect pool but would rather have Dickinson or Theodore.

Those are the only 2 I would take over the package that McCarron brings.

Dickinson was a huge favorite of mine and I'm pretty sure he'd be our 2nd best prospect right now.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hard not to pick an NHL ready Dman over kids who are still playing against kids

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Puck protection, board work, net front presence, heavy hitter, excellent puck retriever. Not many players will be able to take the puck away from him when he's filled out.

always straight to the net this kid will make it if he works hard and stay focused.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Zykov, Sherback and De la rose is still a possibility though.

All in all, I'm not happy with this pick. A first rounder should be considered to be one of your top prospect after one year.

I don't even know if he's top 10 right now FFS

He would've been a perfect second round pick. Not a first rounder. And I know I was excited about him on draft day, just not in the 1st.

I remember a time where Subban, a 2nd round pick, was ranked around 18th. Point is these projections are meaningless. Wait 3-5 years and then we'll see who we all "would have preferred" cause right now who knows what they'll become.

Timelord

Stanley Cup polisher
Dec 18, 2011
Scherbak, add Thrower.

DLR's nhl debut is imminent, while Scherbak is likely years away, but, even at this early stage in his development, he is at least as likely to make an impact eventually. He's got the positive attitude, size, high end talent, along with a knack for picking up languages. Anything else we need?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Went with Scherbak because his upside is #1 winger. Tinner is a #4 at best, while DLR will be a very good top 9 player.

Scherbak's skill is too good to overlook.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
It's a toss up for me over the next few. Went with Tinordi, I like the whole package he can potentially bring. But it was close.

And holy hell, Cichy is still a prospect? LOL, seems like that guy has been around a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad