Speculation: 2014 Free Agents Thread

• Thread starter Yzlamic Preacher*
  • Start date

Yzlamic Preacher*

Top 30 UFA from Capgeek - http://mynhltraderumors.com/free-agents/2014-top-30-nhl-free-agents/

List of UFA from Capgeek - http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents

thanks to stanleycup2014 for the links.

Who's on the wishlist?

I am thinking depending on the price now and if Ottawa doesn't sign him Ales Hemsky. Hemsky can fit nicely on the right side with Stammer. The problem is can he stay healthy and what cost? Perfect world, he plays all 82, he scores 20, assists 35-45, and signed at low price.

Realistic signing goes to: Fayne, Belov, Nikitin. I would be happy with one of those.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we buy out Malone, and only if, I think Dave Bolland could be a nice fit in our bottom six.

I would also consider Markov if we lose Salo.

Let Lindback go and go after one of several UFA goalies who would be better suited to backing up Bishop.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
I don't want to pay first day prices on ANY of the available UFAs.

The defeseman market is really gross. The goalie market has enough in it to be of little immediate concern. The forward group is full of enough variety that I think we'll be able to fill our few needs even if Callahan isn't re-signed.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Go for Montoya, Fayne/Belov/Nikitin, and a forward. The wishlist.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
If we buy out Malone, and only if, I think Dave Bolland could be a nice fit in our bottom six.

I would also consider Markov if we lose Salo.

Let Lindback go and go after one of several UFA goalies who would be better suited to backing up Bishop.

In that case, are you sliding Bolland off to a wing position? Stamkos-Flip-Johnson-Thompson seems pretty set for the middle.

The conclusion I'm arriving at is that, even though this team will have plenty of money at their disposal, there's little worth throwing large sums of it at. As I said in another thread, Vanek would be the obvious guy where offering a large deal would be worth it, but everything points to him landing in Minnesota, all the way down to the fact that Daniel Heatley's horrific cap hit is off the books at the end of the year which clears space. No point in fantasizing about something like that. Outside of that, I don't really see a forward UFA who is going to be particularly worth pursuing (I'm categorizing Callahan in the re-sign department). This off-season should be about finding ways to balance the roster on the blueline and I think Y is going to take the same approach.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
In that case, are you sliding Bolland off to a wing position? Stamkos-Flip-Johnson-Thompson seems pretty set for the middle.

The conclusion I'm arriving at is that, even though this team will have plenty of money at their disposal, there's little worth throwing large sums of it at. As I said in another thread, Vanek would be the obvious guy where offering a large deal would be worth it, but everything points to him landing in Minnesota, all the way down to the fact that Daniel Heatley's horrific cap hit is off the books at the end of the year which clears space. No point in fantasizing about something like that. Outside of that, I don't really see a forward UFA who is going to be particularly worth pursuing (I'm categorizing Callahan in the re-sign department). This off-season should be about finding ways to balance the roster on the blueline and I think Y is going to take the same approach.

I would have no interest in Vanek because we're growing a solid top six. It's the bottom six that needs some work, and that's where a guy like Bolland comes in. I'm not too concerned with who would play the wing, much like the Stamkos/Drouin situation. But I think we need some upper-tier role players if we're going to contend. Bolland is that.

I agree about the defense. I think that's priority #1. But it needs to be a pretty precise fit.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
God no on Hemsky, for as much as he is skilled he's twice that in terms of lazyness and effort, unless you want Teddy Purcell 2.0 I'd say no.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Bolland is a good guy, and I'd love to have him. However, he really loves being home in Toronto (Mimico to be exact!) and I expect he'll lower his asking price to stay a Leaf. Dude brought the cup to my local pub, so that was cool.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Since this will be the second and final year of the compliance buyouts I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a handful of real good options coming out of that.

Brad Richards comes to mind...although we don't need a center.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Bolland is a good guy, and I'd love to have him. However, he really loves being home in Toronto (Mimico to be exact!) and I expect he'll lower his asking price to stay a Leaf. Dude brought the cup to my local pub, so that was cool.

Remember that Toronto signed Phaneuf and Kessel to huge deals recently though. Bolland's asking price will have to come way down, and I'm not sure it will.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Since this will be the second and final year of the compliance buyouts I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a handful of real good options coming out of that.

If it ticks Marty off it's worth it :laugh:

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL

Yeah, Richards was more fun a couple years ago. I hate to say it because that 19 was and is my favorite Bolt, but there's no room for him on the roster going into 2014-15.

I've been throwing this out there because most people here don't like him and his cap hit is $4.5M, but what percentage odds would anyone place on a Purcell trade? I think he's inefficient financially going forward, but if he were to have a strong finish on Stammer's wing, that might be enough to keep him around; I think, anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad