2014 Free Agency and Trade Discussion Part VI

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Didn't Snow want Bogosian on draft day?

Regardless, I think Winnipeg holds onto him after moving Byfuglien to forward. Plus, his contract isn't bad, and Winnipeg doesn't have cap issues.

Snow also reportedly wanted Doughty and Pietranglo;)

Bogo's developement has hit some speed bumps. He has not developed as well as I thought he would. Still he'd be an upgrade in the isles top 4. As you point out though, the Jets have no reason to trade him.

I think he grew up near Winnipeg and loves playing for the franchise.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Snow also reportedly wanted Doughty and Pietranglo;)

Bogo's developement has hit some speed bumps. He has not developed as well as I thought he would. Still he'd be an upgrade in the isles top 4. As you point out though, the Jets have no reason to trade him.

I think he grew up near Winnipeg and loves playing for the franchise.

Bogo is an American, an upstate New Yorker. He played two years for Peterboro Petes in the OHL after attending high school in Massachusetts.
He has not developed into the player he was thought he could become, but he is still young for a defenseman and has plus skills. At 6'3 and 215 he has good NHL size and could settle down into a nice player once he gets "it". I would not give up a top prospect but possibly an excess roster player (*JB*) if that deal came open.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Winnipeg has no reason to give up Bogosian for nothing less than a package containing a top prospect.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Bogo is an American, an upstate New Yorker. He played two years for Peterboro Petes in the OHL after attending high school in Massachusetts.
He has not developed into the player he was thought he could become, but he is still young for a defenseman and has plus skills. At 6'3 and 215 he has good NHL size and could settle down into a nice player once he gets "it". I would not give up a top prospect but possibly an excess roster player (*JB*) if that deal came open.

That's what it's going to take. While Bogo has not reached his "potential" yet, he's still a top-4 defenseman. They don't grow on trees. Especially young ones with room to improve.

How many times in the past 5 years has a top-4 D been traded (outside of a deadline trade)? It's VERY rare simply because they're so hard to come by.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Ah for some reason, I thought Bogo was playing near his childhood home.

As a few posters have already pointed out, Bogo won't come cheap. Jets have no reason to trade him unless some team overpays.

Would I want Snow to overpay for Bogo, when the isles have several quality blueline prospects turning pro, headed for either the AHL or NHL in 2014-2015? No.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Ah for some reason, I thought Bogo was playing near his childhood home.

As a few posters have already pointed out, Bogo won't come cheap. Jets have no reason to trade him unless some team overpays.

Would I want Snow to overpay for Bogo, when the isles have several quality blueline prospects turning pro, headed for either the AHL or NHL in 2014-2015? No.

And that is probably why a trade is not going to happen. Any of these young defenseman are going to be an overpayment, proven or not. Hopefully the offense can make up for it but I still think this is another season with the wrong kind of unanswered questions and unknowns. Hopefully it will be the last one for awhile as these rookies assert themselves on the backend.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Winnipeg has no reason to give up Bogosian for nothing less than a package containing a top prospect.

Luckily for Winnipeg, they drafted a defenseman recently who's already better (Jacob Trouba)than Bogosian. They can afford to let Bogosian go if he continues to bust. I'm not impressed by Bogo, never have been, doesn't past the eye test. Reminds me of Scott Lachance, drafted high but never became a star.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Luckily for Winnipeg, they drafted a defenseman recently who's already better (Jacob Trouba)than Bogosian. They can afford to let Bogosian go if he continues to bust. I'm not impressed by Bogo, never have been, doesn't past the eye test. Reminds me of Scott Lachance, drafted high but never became a star.

i agree. i would not offer much, as he has yet to impress consistently. much like Bailey. i would pursue a swap, and offer a bit more, but not the moon, that's for sure.

even if Bogo focused solely on shutdown/defense, he would help us tremendously, IMO.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
He's certainly not a bust. He's more of a Hamonic type D-man. He should stick to being a good shutdown D-man and not worry about offense.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
If he can play like Rich Pilon, you do the deal. Not a star? Not living up to his assigned draft status? Oh well....a big tough SOB that brings you closer to the Stanley Cup is still a plus.

What his contract demands are? That's the ONLY thing that would dissuade me. But him not being a star yet being able to clear the crease, punish forecheckers and bring a respectable game and a sizable compliment to a young offensive defenseman is something a basic hockey knowledge would appreciate.

What's the price....my only concern.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
If he can play like Rich Pilon, you do the deal. Not a star? Not living up to his assigned draft status? Oh well....a big tough SOB that brings you closer to the Stanley Cup is still a plus.

What his contract demands are? That's the ONLY thing that would dissuade me. But him not being a star yet being able to clear the crease, punish forecheckers and bring a respectable game and a sizable compliment to a young offensive defenseman is something a basic hockey knowledge would appreciate.

What's the price....my only concern.

Expensive. Winnipeg hasn't made a significant trade to shake up the team, which probably means that the GM is asking for the moon for any player. He can't even get something done with Kane, and Kane's done everything short of demanding a trade out.

Additionally, Winnipeg is in the awkward position of needing to improve their team immediately, they can't sell assets for futures that won't help the team tomorrow. A trade for the 5th overall wasn't happening. They'll want a Nelson or Strome plus another significant asset, who knows what.

The only issue with his contract is he has a full NMC. Otherwise he's pretty affordable and signed long term.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I was always more intrigued by Buff to the Isles, as it would cost less (who knows how much less though). I just don't see Winnipeg doing ANYTHING. They haven't done anything with goaltending and their situation was somehow worse than ours.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Didn't Snow want Bogosian on draft day?

Regardless, I think Winnipeg holds onto him after moving Byfuglien to forward. Plus, his contract isn't bad, and Winnipeg doesn't have cap issues.

He actually did. When Doughty, Bogo, and Pietrangleo were drafted he decided to trade down. I'm kind of glad we didn't take Schenn, but Bailey isn't doing us any favors.

And to the posters bashing Bogo, injuries have really slanted his development. And... He was rushed into the league at 19. You don't do that to defense men, defense men take longer to develop.

Also, good comparison with Hamonic. Bogosian and Hamonic are very similar defense men. I wouldn't be upset at all to trade for Bogo, but the cost will be high. He's a 2nd pairing RHD. We should develop our own guys and wait for them to be ready.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
He actually did. When Doughty, Bogo, and Pietrangleo were drafted he decided to trade down. I'm kind of glad we didn't take Schenn, but Bailey isn't doing us any favors.

And to the posters bashing Bogo, injuries have really slanted his development. And... He was rushed into the league at 19. You don't do that to defense men, defense men take longer to develop.

Also, good comparison with Hamonic. Bogosian and Hamonic are very similar defense men. I wouldn't be upset at all to trade for Bogo, but the cost will be high. He's a 2nd pairing RHD. We should develop our own guys and wait for them to be ready.

Agreed. I don't think WPG developed him well at all, and in some ways have thrown him under the bus. Perhaps with a smaller salary and a better support caste, and a real head coach, and a GM who communicates in more than grunts and drool... He could still move towards the defenseman everyone expected him to be.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
just wondering what the difference between Bogo and Bailey is? one seems to get a pass, the other is used toilet paper...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad