2014 Free Agency and Trade Discussion Part VI

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Sheldon Brookbank remains unsigned. Not an all-star by any means. Upgrade over Carkner and probably Strait as well. Right-handed and somewhat physical. He was serviceable during the season and did okay in the playoffs against tough competition. Wouldn't be unhappy if he was signed and one or both of Carkner/Strait moved on.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Sheldon Brookbank remains unsigned. Not an all-star by any means. Upgrade over Carkner and probably Strait as well. Right-handed and somewhat physical. He was serviceable during the season and did okay in the playoffs against tough competition. Wouldn't be unhappy if he was signed and one or both of Carkner/Strait moved on.

Anybody is an upgrade for the #6 over those 2 at this point. Would still like to see a move for Johnny Boychuk. He fits what we need, #4 RHD 1 yr left but Bruins probably won't deal him.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

Need to stop focusing on bottom 3 F and bottom 2 D, need to focus on improving the top pairings. Teams will need to make moves I am confident we will be able to get someone who is a current reliable 3-4 on a cap strapped team by the start of the season.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

I don't think they'll sign anyone that's merely a marginal upgrade over the existing #6 and #7. That's just too many bodies and not enough upgrade to justify it.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Anyone else surprised that the Habs are apparently offering Subban a 1 year, $5.25 million contract? He's been underpaid for the past couple of years, and then they low-ball him again? That kind of makes me think he could available at some point. Just for crazy speculation purposes. :)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=458470

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
It's questionable whether he's even an upgrade. Other than being a RHD I don't see him being an improvement over what we already have. I'd rather see the prospects move up if they showed they are ready.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Anyone else surprised that the Habs are apparently offering Subban a 1 year, $5.25 million contract? He's been underpaid for the past couple of years, and then they low-ball him again? That kind of makes me think he could available at some point. Just for crazy speculation purposes. :)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=458470

That offer is just for arbitration purposes but it still looks insane. Someone else mentioned that a similar thing happened with Shea Weber in arbitration... he was offered under 5 million for one year and got a much higher reward, and then I think he signed that offer sheet the following year.

It's just really stupid. He signed the bridge deal, played out of his mind the following two years. He's a god in Montreal now. Pay him 8x8 and close the books.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Just to be clear, PK is asking for 8.5 mil, the Habs offer 5.25 mil. Which offer do you think is closer to his real value?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Pk for griffin Reinhardt, josh bailey and our 2015 3rd round pick

Not even close. Think Reinhart/Pulock, Dal Colle/Strome, 2016 first, maybe something else.

Anyway, the hearing is over, and PK seems pretty bummed about how this has all gone down. Results due in 48 hours, no plans to negotiate a long term deal, according to his agent. I can't get over how dumb Bergevin is right now.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Not even close. Think Reinhart/Pulock, Dal Colle/Strome, 2016 first, maybe something else.

Anyway, the hearing is over, and PK seems pretty bummed about how this has all gone down. Results due in 48 hours, no plans to negotiate a long term deal, according to his agent. I can't get over how dumb Bergevin is right now.

Agreed. PK signed a bridge deal already and won a Norris during it. That's the trade-off on locking him up long term at a cheaper rate rather versus signing the bridge deal and needing to pay him on the performance of that.

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
Just to be clear, PK is asking for 8.5 mil, the Habs offer 5.25 mil. Which offer do you think is closer to his real value?

Maybe this is why I'm not an NHL GM but I don't understand at all why Montreal has a problem throwing 8 - 8.5 million long term at him. The guy is the most dynamic and explosive young defenseman in the NHL. He's their superstar. Kane and Toews just got 10.5 each. A lot of people said that was a little high, so 8 million sounds just right for Subban to me.

I'd love to dig up the thread in the trade proposals section and throw it back in the faces of Montreal fans who scoffed at the idea of a MTL - NYI Subban trade and said "if you want Subban, start your offers with Tavares and no less. He's our Tavares."

Can you imagine if Tavares was offered one year at 5.25 million when the time comes and then it went to arbitration? The fanbase would implode. People everywhere would mock the team for being cheap with their most valuable asset.

He was on a bridge deal and did more than enough to prove himself. Played like a champion in the playoffs and was essentially separated from the Finals by a goaltender injury. What more was he supposed to do to earn a big money, long term deal?

If I'm Subban, I would feel deeply disrespected for not having what I've done for the team recognized and aptly rewarded with a long-term deal. Dealing with this BS after doing all I had to do to prove myself would make my blood boil.

Montreal is making a huge mistake with the way they're handling this. If they do end up getting a long-term deal done then obviously some of it is forgiven, but it sounds like with arbitration a one year deal is inevitable. At this point I don't think it would be surprising to see Subban in a different team's jersey at the start of the 2015 season, hell maybe even for the home stretch after the trade deadline of this upcoming one. EDIT: maybe not because apparently he'll still be an RFA at the end of the deal that comes out of arbitration from what I'm seeing in other threads? This stuff is confusing.

Last edited:

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Actually, I would include Hamonic in any deal for Subban, I think that would work a little better. Offsets some salary, Canadiens get a fair replacement back who is locked in for several years.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Actually, I would include Hamonic in any deal for Subban, I think that would work a little better. Offsets some salary, Canadiens get a fair replacement back who is locked in for several years.

I think I may have suggested Hamonic in a Subban deal awhile back. I love Hamonic, but he makes the most sense as a chip going to MTL if a deal is going to get done. Subban would be on the 1st pairing. Pulock or Pokka would be RH on the 2nd pairing eventually. No long term pain. Not sure what else MTL would want. MDC+?

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Maybe this is why I'm not an NHL GM but I don't understand at all why Montreal has a problem throwing 8 - 8.5 million long term at him. The guy is the most dynamic and explosive young defenseman in the NHL. He's their superstar. Kane and Toews just got 10.5 each. A lot of people said that was a little high, so 8 million sounds just right for Subban to me.

I'd love to dig up the thread in the trade proposals section and throw it back in the faces of Montreal fans who scoffed at the idea of a MTL - NYI Subban trade and said "if you want Subban, start your offers with Tavares and no less. He's our Tavares."

Can you imagine if Tavares was offered one year at 5.25 million when the time comes and then it went to arbitration? The fanbase would implode. People everywhere would mock the team for being cheap with their most valuable asset.

He was on a bridge deal and did more than enough to prove himself. Played like a champion in the playoffs and was essentially separated from the Finals by a goaltender injury. What more was he supposed to do to earn a big money, long term deal?

If I'm Subban, I would feel deeply disrespected for not having what I've done for the team recognized and aptly rewarded with a long-term deal. Dealing with this BS after doing all I had to do to prove myself would make my blood boil.

Montreal is making a huge mistake with the way they're handling this. If they do end up getting a long-term deal done then obviously some of it is forgiven, but it sounds like with arbitration a one year deal is inevitable. At this point I don't think it would be surprising to see Subban in a different team's jersey at the start of the 2015 season, hell maybe even for the home stretch after the trade deadline of this upcoming one. EDIT: maybe not because apparently he'll still be an RFA at the end of the deal that comes out of arbitration from what I'm seeing in other threads? This stuff is confusing.

The $8.5M number is what Subban submitted to the arbitrator for a 1-year deal. I have to imagine that if he was asking for that long-term he would be signed already.

It's easy to blame Montreal, but we don't know what Subban wants long-term. Is he asking for $10M+? Who knows.

Montreal really ****ed up by giving him the bridge deal. They could have signed him long-term for $5M or so. Now they are pretty much screwed.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I don't see any way that Montreal deals Subban without getting established NHL talent in return.

Yeah I realized that after posting. Hamonic is best bet in a swap IMO. Two right handed top pair d-men, obviously we'd have to make a significant add to make it work.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I'd offer Nielsen, Reinart and a 2016 1st for Subban. If they asked for Dal Colle instead of the 2016 1st, I'd think long and hard about it.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Need to stop focusing on bottom 3 F and bottom 2 D, need to focus on improving the top pairings. Teams will need to make moves I am confident we will be able to get someone who is a current reliable 3-4 on a cap strapped team by the start of the season.

If you had the opportunity to upgrade a position, why wouldn't you?

JetsMetsIsles

Nov 20, 2009
I'd offer Nielsen, Reinart and a 2016 1st for Subban. If they asked for Dal Colle instead of the 2016 1st, I'd think long and hard about it.

I love Reinhart as a prospect though. I truly think he will be a great NHL talent. As much as I want Subban Ive been so excited to see Reinhart play in the NHL that if we traded him I would be heartbroken.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Nielsen is my favorite Islander and that's who is on my Stadium Series Jersey, but if Montreal said yes to this as an fan first I wouldn't be able to say no.

Also, I can't believe how they are toying with Subban either. Even at 10mil he is worth is with the perspective of the Kane and Toews deals. They overpaid Eller but they can't wrap up Subban? Absurd...

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Hell be a UFA in two years, lets wait until then.

Subban, like Tavares, is one of those franchise defining players at this given time. He's a complete TWD, Norris winner already in his career (25 yrs old).

I agree with you seafoam. MTL is playing with fire by not even giving him a fair contract. They are going to get burnt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad