2014 Free Agency and Trade Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

In all seriousness, I think it comes from the TYPE of moves moreso than the moves themselves.

They've been a lot less Leaf-like since the Dubas hiring.

They're still not a contender though.

Not that I want it to happen as I have a soft spot for the Leafs fanbase and their misery (although at times its funny and I will forever hate their team and that Isles/Leafs series), but it would be so Leaf-like if that hiring blew up in their face.

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Ya it is pretty terrible. I have no idea what Edm does if they tank again this year.

Brock for Petry is a steal for Edm. I think it would take a lot to get brock. Snow jumped up to get, so you know he loves him.

As everyone says, Nelson is going nowhere. I think neither Edmonton nor the Islanders make a major trade with anyone before the start of the regular season. Petry may be on the verge of developing.

The Oilers would likely have made a stronger play for Legwand in free agency if they really wanted a center. Their thinking may be RNH, Draiaitl, Gordon, Lander, with Arcobello as a back-up to fill in wherever. Draiaitl might get protected minutes, with the Gordon line taking on top units from other teams. Arcobello is like an NBA player whose best at coming in off the bench (like Lou Angotti was for the Black Hawks).

BroadwayJay*

As everyone says, Nelson is going nowhere. I think neither Edmonton nor the Islanders make a major trade with anyone before the start of the regular season. Petry may be on the verge of developing.

The Oilers would likely have made a stronger play for Legwand in free agency if they really wanted a center. Their thinking may be RNH, Draiaitl, Gordon, Lander, with Arcobello as a back-up to fill in wherever. Draiaitl might get protected minutes, with the Gordon line taking on top units from other teams. Arcobello is like an NBA player whose best at coming in off the bench (like Lou Angotti was for the Black Hawks).

If I'm Edmonton, I'm not too excited for what you've got there.

Of course, there's always the draft!

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
For the 2015 Free Agency thread? Andy Greene just signed an extension with the Devils. 5 years, 25 mil.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Just throwing it out there. 1 year deal for 2 million. Offer it to Del Zotto and see if he bites. The Isles have a hole and he might be worth the risk.

I'd rather they trade for Yandle but I just don't think that'll ever happen.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Just throwing it out there. 1 year deal for 2 million. Offer it to Del Zotto and see if he bites. The Isles have a hole and he might be worth the risk.

I'd rather they trade for Yandle but I just don't think that'll ever happen.

Several weeks ago, someone asked Staple on twitter, why the isles did not sign MDZ. Staple said the isles had considered MDZ during the season, but they had been desperate then. They now feel there will be better options available.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Several weeks ago, someone asked Staple on twitter, why the isles did not sign MDZ. Staple said the isles had considered MDZ during the season, but they had been desperate then. They now feel there will be better options available.

I'm expecting some players to shake loose as teams resolve their cap issues. Maybe we can hold on to our forward depth until someone good becomes available...

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

I think they need to be desperate now for a Dman. Not saying be stupid and do something ridiculous but at worse a one year option is staring them in the face.

Really don't think a better dman who going to fall from the sky from another team with cap issues that is worthwhile.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I think they need to be desperate now for a Dman. Not saying be stupid and do something ridiculous but at worse a one year option is staring them in the face.

Really don't think a better dman who going to fall from the sky from another team with cap issues that is worthwhile.

What hole do you feel MDZ fills? Do you think he's a top 4 dman? We have a bottleneck with people who are #5-8.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
His CF sucks considering his ZS% too.

I'd take a flyer on him, but nothing more than that.

Yep.

A bit of an aside, but it would be nice to create a new statistic of CF adjusted for ZS%. Basically just do a regression of CF on ZS% and subtract out the effect of ZS% on CF (i.e., look at the residuals of the regression). Call it "adjusted CF" or something.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Yep.

A bit of an aside, but it would be nice to create a new statistic of CF adjusted for ZS%. Basically just do a regression of CF on ZS% and subtract out the effect of ZS% on CF (i.e., look at the residuals of the regression). Call it "adjusted CF" or something.

No offense but all that BS you just wrote along with pretty much every post by Broadway Jay is pretty much just ruining any hockey discussion on this board nowadays. I just want to enjoy watching the sport and let my eyes tell me who is good, who is great, who stinks, etc. If I wanted to worry about math and formulas I would cheer for a local academic algebra team.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
No offense but all that BS you just wrote along with pretty much every post by Broadway Jay is pretty much just ruining any hockey discussion on this board nowadays. I just want to enjoy watching the sport and let my eyes tell me who is good, who is great, who stinks, etc. If I wanted to worry about math and formulas I would cheer for a local academic algebra team.
:handclap:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Del Zotto is more than a little redundant at this point. I think Brennan and Donovan will have their shots at being smaller puckmovers, and at some point within 2 seasons (or sooner, if either is really, really impressive) Pulock and Pokka will take over and add their puck distribution benefits.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I think the D is set up perfectly ATM.

CdH - Hamonic
Reinhart - Visnovsky
Hickey - Donovan vs Strait vs Brennan

...this eventually transitions to this:

CdH - Hamonic
Reinhart - Visnovsky
Hickey - Pulock vs Pokka

CdH - Hamonic
Reinhart - Pulock vs Pokka
Hickey - Pokka/Pulock vs Mayfield vs Graham

CdH - Hamonic
Hickey vs Pelech vs Czuczman - Pokka/Pulock vs Mayfield vs Graham

Just let the D play out the way it's intended to.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I think the D is set up perfectly ATM.

CdH - Hamonic
Reinhart - Visnovsky
Hickey - Donovan vs Strait vs Brennan

CdH - Hamonic
Reinhart - Visnovsky
Hickey - Pulock vs Pokka

CdH - Hamonic
Hickey - Pokka/Pulock vs Mayfield vs Graham

CdH - Hamonic
Hickey vs Pelech vs Czuczman - Pokka/Pulock vs Mayfield vs Graham

Just let the D play out the way it's intended to.

I love the eventually, just nervous about the next two years and was really hoping to get a good sturdy veteran defensive defenseman to avoid playing too many rookies, overwhelming a natural 5-6D into #4 (heretofore know as the AMac Syndrome) and having one too many lower pair defensemen in the lineup. Who knows, maybe Viz stays healthy for most of the year, Griff is Top 4 immediately or another young kid pulls a Dehaan.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013

I respectfully disagree. I like having more information and choosing to add it to the stuff I see on the ice. Broadway (and other posters) seem to have a good handle on this stuff and I like how he can chime in and give relevant info on certain players. It sure makes things easier when I don't have to dig through this data myself.

I'm more of a reader than a poster here, but throwing in this sort of information when it's germane to a discussion is much appreciated by this Islander fan.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
If we're going to stand pat, I really hope Pokka looks good in camp and gets a shot to make the team. I realize that starting with Reinhart and Pokka would make us awfully young, but if we're trying to win games, I think we should go with the best players regardless of age. Camp should be an open competition IMO.

ledzep1212

COYB
Apr 5, 2007
Lindenhurst

Who needs actual evidence to tell you why a player sucks, right? Keep living in the stone age while the rest of us continue to evolve.

BroadwayJay*

Yep.

There is a lot out there on that already.

I've got friends visiting from out of town, but I'll get some of it to you next week.

BroadwayJay*

I'm sorry we've ruined things for you.

What would you like us to do?

BroadwayJay*

Del Zotto is more than a little redundant at this point. I think Brennan and Donovan will have their shots at being smaller puckmovers, and at some point within 2 seasons (or sooner, if either is really, really impressive) Pulock and Pokka will take over and add their puck distribution benefits.

I see Pulock as an ideal replacement for Vis.

I'm hopeful he's ready to open the building in Brooklyn. He's a late birthday so I don't think that's a pipe dream.

Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Pulock.

BroadwayJay*

If we're going to stand pat, I really hope Pokka looks good in camp and gets a shot to make the team. I realize that starting with Reinhart and Pokka would make us awfully young, but if we're trying to win games, I think we should go with the best players regardless of age. Camp should be an open competition IMO.

I think the concern is more centered around losing assets.

If Pokka and Reinhart make the team, we have to pass guys through waivers and it forces a decision which could come back to haunt us in the event of injury.

The more conservative approach would be to keep the guys with options down at the farm, then call them up to replace injury (or just replace, if it is deemed that a waiver-eligible player isn't cutting the mustard).

I will add that I think this team is dramatically better than last season and is possibly the fourth-best team in the Eastern Conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad