OT: 2014 football thread iv: falcons docked pick for being dumb.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I don't recommend rebuilding teams pick RB
Giants are not a rebuilding team. They got less that a 5 year window.
Give Eli the best weapon available.
If that corner falls I can see them taking him.
Unless you think this o line guy is jumbo elliot it makes no sense to me.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I don't recommend rebuilding teams pick RB
Giants are not a rebuilding team. They got less that a 5 year window.
Give Eli the best weapon available.
If that corner falls I can see them taking him.
Unless you think this o line guy is jumbo elliot it makes no sense to me.

The O-Line guy might be that rare combinations with BPA also is a need.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
Gurley at #6 is picking up steam...I like him alot but that injury tho!

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
if the Jets take gurley at #6, i will film myself eating the sole of my shoe.

and i won't bail like machinehead did.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
if the Jets take gurley at #6, i will film myself eating the sole of my shoe.

and i won't bail like machinehead did.

Meh it won't happen because Running backs never get picked that high. If they really wanted to get him they could trade the 6oa drop down and take him then and would likely gain another first rounder in the process. Things could get very interesting if Mariota falls to the Jets at 6. I imagine they would receive a phone call or two.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Rivers has the experience and maturity.
But he has more of the typical wear and tear from that.
And while he likes CA, he's a family guy (Peter Griffin:laugh::naughty::D:amazed::nod:) who may not be too enamoured w/NYC. SF is loud and proud, but it is also reclusive and exclusive enough to be a good fit.

=======

I am now thinking
Ten says they are committed to their guy, a pocket passer
Other teams can't offer a difference maker at 6, plus a Wilkerson blue chip.

6OA
Wilkerson
Geno Smith (not with the Mariotta toolbox, but with some similar tools, makes a nice contrast, pushes the other guy without being overly threatening, potential trade asset thrown in if he matures)
next year's 4th, upgradeable to next year's 2nd based on Mariotta performance

for 2OA = Mariotta

THEN do a different deal w/SD for Rivers
Rivers for Kapernick
[of course, adds on all sides to both]

then Kap-meister to NYJ;
competition of 2 comparable style QBs
Kap wins on experience, Marriotta is groomed
then after 1-2 years w/both
trade 1 for assets at a profit.

Could see with Mariotta the seed today better developed at end of year, that desperate Chip Kelly and Eagles would seriously OVERPAY, even more than today.

Philip Rivers was not coming to the Jets except on the outside chance Mariota fell to #6. Even then I don't think Rivers would come here. It's just nice to think about having a proven stud QB in the green and white.

I don't see anyone taking Geno Smith in a trade. Jets aren't trading Mo except for a ridiculous offer. Maybe Mo is overrated but a new HC/GM combo don't want to immediately alienate the fanbase.

From what little I've seen I don't want Mariota. Can't say what the Jets will do if he's available and can see both sides. But there are other promising QBs in the draft. Rex pulled a risky move by moving up to take Sanchez at #5 and early on it looked like it worked out but in the end it didn't. I can see a tough decision between taking Mariota at 6 vs trading the pick. Depends what the offers are. Can't blame them for making the pick at 6 but I think it'd be a disaster if they traded up to 2 for it. And moreso if they threw in Mo.

Jets trading for Kaep would be even worse.

Gurley at #6 is picking up steam...I like him alot but that injury tho!

Similarly, the Jets new GM and HC do not want to alienate the fanbase by drafting a RB at #6.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Why take a guard at 9?

Well if they take him I assume it's because they think he can play tackle.

Even if worst case he plays inside, a mauling line (featuring Zack Martin) produced the 2014 Cowboys run game which is the only reason they were a competitive team. Giving their defense rest and keeping it off the field was the only reason why they finished 11th in YPG...not a talented group at all. Not to mention the benefits to the passing game from having a versatile offense.

I don't love it and more than that I'm not sold that Reese will do it. But I could see the argument.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Scherff is already a more powerful player than Pugh could ever hope to be. I still wouldn't take him at 9. You just can't waste that pick on anything less than an elite skill player or defensive player. Guards can be had just as good as Schreff in the second round. You can't waste the pick. Take Schreff if you trade back. Otherwise it is a reach at that spot to take a guard. Just not good asset management and he is not for certain a difference maker. Will he help? Absolutely, inside he looks like a run mauling beast. Exactly what we need. But so is A.J. Cann. So is Laken Tomlinson.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
To me its a tie. White looks like a future elite player. Cooper looks like a career number 1a/1b type. I don't think he'll be super awesome. But he'll be very very good. White has more of a Dez Bryant kind of feel. Except he could remotely bust.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
I can see the Jets trading down to 8 with Atlanta. Atlanta wants defense and the Jets could still get Gurley or maybe even White at 8.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Would be happy with the Jets getting a pash rusher or an offensive lineman. Probably favor taking an offensive lineman, play him at guard for a year, and then release Brick and let them take over tackle after next season. Probably make a case a rookie could start at the other tackle position for Giacomini this season who is about as average as they come.

I know that sounds pretty boring, but the Jets oline looks very similar to last years, and that is not a good thing.

DaBrick is a bit less then he's been, but he is still not the problem, and he still can be put inside to G.
We need a mountain man, 6'5-8, huge, coordinated to both tackle slots.

Good luck to us getting that!:cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad