Prospect Info: 2014 Flyers prospect ranking: #8

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Rankings:

1. Samuel Morin - 39.34%
2. Scott Laughton - 39.25% (winning by 1 vote)
3. Shayne Gostisbehere - 64.55%
4. Travis Sanheim - 83.64%
5. Robert Hagg - 79.81%
6. Anthony Stolarz - 66.27%
7. Nicolas Aube-Kubel - 55.43%
8. ???

As for Jason Akeson, I decided to keep him in the poll after seeing the results of the other question I polled.

Also now from what I can tell the polls should start to get a lot closer and there may be guys you think deserve to be listed as an option but are not. So if you think I should add a player tell me. But only add a player if you think he should get votes within the next couple polls and not because he might be better than Petr Straka.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
This was a tough one. Torn between Alt, Leier and Lindblom, but went with Alt in the end since he seems to be a little further along in his development.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
people still voting for the shiny new toys when Akeson has already put up consistently solid performances at the NHL level

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
maybe some don't view him as a prospect? I know its a very debatable issue for both sides but I am going to vote for the younger prospects who have a ton of upside.

It's silly, he just turned 24. And is, by the rules, a prospect. This isn't some weird case where some 31 year old player that was drafted a decade+ ago comes over and is "technically" a prospect.

Ranking a prospect all depends on his upside, sure, but also his progress. Which is why a lot of guys on this list naturally go higher on this poll every year.

I'd call leading your pro team in points almost 3 years in a row and sticking out in a few NHL regular season AND playoff games pretty impressive.

Simply put, Akeson should be way higher on this list. He's going to wind up as #10 or something because he's better than the others and it'll wind up looking silly when it's all done.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Team Leier.

Goulbourne-Leier615.jpg

Alt and Akeson are close, though. I see both of them playing some NHL games this season.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
As someone who watched Alt a ton last season I have to go him here. I guess since we are considering Akeson here also this could be Jasons spot. I consider Leier close also.

I just think Alt has more potenial than the other two. Leier (who I came to like) I see maxing out as a 3rd liner and while thats good I want to go with someone with more potenial. Akeson I do like but his size with his ok at beat skating scares me. His play making is great though and I will most likely go him next. I personally think Alt has a chance to be a 4. Not a close chance but there is one. The guy is extremely athletic and you could see that last season.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Akeson one more time, he showed us he's got what it takes at least, which is more than can be said of the rest of the list.

Except for Goulbourne of course!

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'm voting Taylor Leier. After that It will be Alt or Akeson for me. I think the Lindblom hype is a bit premature. Also, I'm surprised Freidman isn't getting any love at all.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Leier I think in time will be a serviceable NHLer. I don't how long from now, but I am confident that he can be a bottom six guy at some point. Didn't he play on a line with Laughton on the WJC team? How was their chemistry? Maybe a future third line of Leier-Laughton-Raffl in a couple years could be a thing?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Leier I think in time will be a serviceable NHLer. I don't how long from now, but I am confident that he can be a bottom six guy at some point. Didn't he play on a line with Laughton on the WJC team? How was their chemistry? Maybe a future third line of Leier-Laughton-Raffl in a couple years could be a thing?

Leier and Laughton were a PK pair, but at even strength they didn't play much together. If I recall correctly, Laughton played wing on a line with Horvat and Reinhart. Leier was sort of a floater, but I think most of his ES time was with Drouin and Mantha.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Since akeson is an option I'm going with him. Aside from one really huge bone head fall down move in the playoffs he played very well in the playoffs so I have hard time putting other guys ahead of him at this point.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Akeson is missing size -- that's about it. He also has a small chance to be up and even smaller chance to play on the top line and had some flashes with Couts. Perhaps he needs more defensive aptitude, but the size would help here. Defensive IQ as well?

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Voted Akeson. I've liked how he has played in all of his NHL performances.

I'd like to see him given more time on the 2nd PP unit. Only problem is, I dont know where he might play in our lineup. I think he's done well with Giroux when they've played together, but I feel like they need someone better defensively at that spot and with more size. Maybe Bellamare, Raffl, Schenn, or Umberger will be able to fill that role. So then, maybe he'll play with Couturier and Read again. I liked what I saw from that line, it really sparked Couts and Read's offensive games. I'd also like to see Umberger or Bellamare tried at this spot as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00