Prospect Info: 2014 Flyers prospect ranking: #2

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Rankings:

1. Samuel Morin - 39.34%
2. ???

I do not know how to close polls for previous threads, which I need to do for #1. So if a Mod could either tell me how to do it or do it themselves that would be appreciated.

Damn, I am messing up. Forgot Stolarz the first poll and forgot Hagg in this one. Since they didn't deserve any votes in either poll, no harm no foul.

At 4PM EST I will finalize the results from this poll. Since I don't know how to end the voting, I will go with the final total at 4PM.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Shane Gostibehere is #2 on my list.

His offensive ability and his ++ skating have me extremely excited for him. It was a toss up between him or Sanheim. I am a fan of Laughton still but think he is a 60 point player at his peak if he develops to reach his full potential. The sky is the limit with our defensive prospects.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If Morin is #1 then Ghost has to be 2nd. Laughton is good but doesn't have a high ceiling and Sanheim isn't proven enough... yet.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Shane Gostibehere is #2 on my list.

His offensive ability and his ++ skating have me extremely excited for him. It was a toss up between him or Sanheim. I am a fan of Laughton still but think he is a 60 point player at his peak if he develops to reach his full potential. The sky is the limit with our defensive prospects.

If Laughton every becomes a 60 point center, to go along with his defensive ability, he's likely to be a selke finalist a bunch of times. That's basically Kesler. I think that's more valuable than an offensive defenseman.

Voted Laughton, again. I think his game translates to the NHL really well and that he will be a great 2-way 3rd line center with the ability to play 2nd line when needed. His potential isn't as great as Ghost, Hagg, or Sanheim but he's much more likely to reach his ceiling at this point.

OP- Hagg isn't even in this poll? He's unlikely to win but he would definitely get some votes.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
If Laughton every becomes a 60 point center, to go along with his defensive ability, he's likely to be a selke finalist a bunch of times. That's basically Kesler. I think that's more valuable than an offensive defenseman.

Voted Laughton, again. I think his game translates to the NHL really well and that he will be a great 2-way 3rd line center with the ability to play 2nd line when needed. His potential isn't as great as Ghost, Hagg, or Sanheim but he's much more likely to reach his ceiling at this point.

OP- Hagg isn't even in this poll? He's unlikely to win but he would definitely get some votes.

Yea I have been messing up a lot and forgetting people. Hagg doesn't deserve a vote yet though.

As for Laughton become a 60 point center is sort of shooting for the moon. That is like asking Ghost to produce 60-70 points per season, Erik Karlsson-esque. My vote would be for Ghost then Laughton then Sanheim.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'm voting Sanheim, again.

Edit: Hagg isn't even listed? WTF. Also, I think Alderson should be listed instead of quite a few others.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

What I meant when I said about Laughton is I could see that as a one year peak from him. I could see him put 50 points or close to it regularly but one year hitting 60 in his best year. I don't think he will do it consistently though. Kesler right now might be a good way to describe Laughton but when Kesler was at his peak he was a damn good player. Not saying he won't become that, I just think it's lofty expectations.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I like Ghost more than Laughton as a player but went Laughton here. #3 should be interesting.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I like Ghost more than Laughton as a player but went Laughton here. #3 should be interesting.

I don't think 3 will be all that close. Sanhiem is a fine prospect, but there is simply not enough data to put him ahead of the top 3. In a year? Maybe. If Morin, Ghost or Laughton were coming off down seasons.... but all improved with Ghost ending on an insanely high note and Laughton doing nothing to slide.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Rankings:

1. Samuel Morin - 39.34%
2. ???

I do not know how to close polls for previous threads, which I need to do for #1. So if a Mod could either tell me how to do it or do it themselves that would be appreciated.

Damn, I am messing up. Forgot Stolarz the first poll and forgot Hagg in this one. Since they didn't deserve any votes in either poll, no harm no foul.

Hagg may not be one or two but I'll be voting for him soon. We will probably have different orders to our top 6 but Morin, Ghost, Laughton, Sanheim, Stolie and Hagg will very likely be the 6 guys. IMHO, there is noticeable drop after them.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Also, I think Alderson should be listed instead of quite a few others.

I would agree here. I think he has an outside shot of making the club at some point this year even if it is in a bottom 6 role which is very likely his upside but that's pretty much the case with a lot of those guys on that list once you get outside the usual suspects.

Akeson doesn't really feel like a prospect to me anymore, Parks may never even get a contract, Madsen is kind of a long shot, etc.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I would agree here. I think he has an outside shot of making the club at some point this year even if it is in a bottom 6 role which is very likely his upside but that's pretty much the case with a lot of those guys on that list once you get outside the usual suspects.

Akeson doesn't really feel like a prospect to me anymore, Parks may never even get a contract, Madsen is kind of a long shot, etc.

I know it may not feel that way, but is Akeson still technically considered a prospect?

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
I know it may not feel that way, but is Akeson still technically considered a prospect?

This is just my own personal rule but I consider a prospect someone who is still eligible for the Calder Trophy. In this case, Akeson still is.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Selected Stoli as # 2. Hope he turns out to be a franchise goalie (also the team is really bare in that position).

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Under this site's rules he would be it's why MAB was listed in these things last year. I just don't really consider him a prospect anymore personally, he's 24 & has some NHL experience.

Up until the Flyers-Rangers series, Laughton had more NHL experience than Akeson. I definitely still thinks he belongs on this list.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Hagg, for me. But I'll vote Sanheim since Hagg isn't in the poll.

Morin
Hagg
Sanheim
Stolarz
Ghost
Laughton

Edit: Don't forsee Laughton being any better than a #3 center. Don't forsee Hagg being better than a 3/4 defenseman, and I'm still skeptical about Ghost. Now that I'm thinking about it, I probably would rank Sanheim over Hagg.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Went with Laughton, I had him ahead of Ghost last year and while Ghost's stock has risen since then I don't think Gostisbehere's ceiling is high enough to put him above Laughton, who at the very least is a 3rd line forward IMO.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Laughton again. I think that almost all of his game translates with offence being in question, if that does too and develops at the pro level, considering the intangibles he carries, he becomes a homerun 2/3C. Fans are gonna be really excited once this kid gets his boots wet. His floor for me is essentially a 3rd or impact 3rd liner, which isnt much below his ceiling-at center anyways. I see him very easily attaining a core player type status I suppose you can say.

Our defensive prospects have higher ceilings, there isn't a lot of doubt there. I also know, and have seen much less of them to really know how well projected the ceilings look.

These polls would be a lot more interesting if there was a weighted criteria atleast and in some kind of order, things like ceiling/probability/org. fit/ etc...which could also be voted on in terms of value to the ranking system. Although, they seem to run well enough.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North

I'd leave Parks on for sure. What about his game makes you think the Flyers have given up on him? Or why should they give up on him for that matter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad