2014 Draft will go down as best in Canucks history

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
2012, 2013, 2014 drafts have made up for six years of incompetence. That is impressive.

the funny thing is that a lot of these drafts before actually did yield players. The thing is that these later picks take time.

It is lack of picks that badly hurts.

2008 yielded hodgson who although isn't living up anywhere close to the expectations is an NHLer. Sauve was a poor pick but then there was no 3rd and 4th.

2009 - Rodin looks like he may still find his way back to the NHL at some point. May not have panned out but you can see that there was quality in that pick. Connauton is an NHL defenseman. Schroeder is an AHL/NHL tweener. Cannata is the starter in Utica.

2010 - once again severe lack of picks. Only Friesen who is a regular in Utica.

2011 - Jensen is struggling and time is running out. Grenier looks like he might become something. Labate is in his first pro year. Corrado is stuck in purgatory.

2012 - Gaunce looks to be an NHLer soon. Hutton is an NHLer. once again lack of picks.

2013 - Horvat is an NHLer. Shinkaruk looks to be adjusting well to the pro game. The rest are in their first pro season. Long ways to go but still lots of promise.

2014 - Mccann and Virtanen. Promising players with loads of time to grow. Missing only a 4th and had an extra 1st. Suddenly we have hits.

2015 - Way too early to judge. sounds good so far.

Picks are going to miss. They do for every team. Other picks need to be given 5-6 years to pan out.

The team lacks quality in its picks but a lot of that just has to do with a severe lack of picks in general. We all knew this would be the case for our team coming into these years though. The team went all in multiple times. They traded so many future assets.

Look how many picks the Blackhawks have had since 2000. It is ****ing mind boggling compared to the Canucks. There are tons of busts too. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005218.html

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
However, the 2014 draft is better in the sense that I believe where we were at as an organization dramatically changed the face of our organization quickly.

I would argue Bure did that with his first game. He didn't score but fans knew they were watching someone special when he did that first end to end. He had the league buzzing by the season's end.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Not me. I love the guy.

Like the Canucks cant use a big, fast, skilled, tough power forward.

The kid is 2 months past his 19th birthday. If you have watched hockey long enough then you know that power forwards take longer to develop and require some patience.

We traded Neely foolishly at 21. Bertuzzi took til 24. John LeClair... the list goes on an on. Keith Tkaczuk would be the rare exception who made impact at 20.

The other coveted power forward in that draft, Nick Ritchie is starting his career in the minors at 20.

I was being a little sarcastic with this post. People here don't seem to understand the rationale behind the Virtanen pick and what he can bring to the team. He is very young and he is starting to get glorious opportunities each game which he eventually will bury. He is the type of player that every team covets and while he may not be a flashy type like Nylander and Ehlers he can affect a game in other ways which they won't be able to. He'll only get better.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Wow temper your expectations. Do you realize how low the percentage is of players who actually make the NHL before 20?

Yep I know, which is why I've always been very careful not to straight up saying "oh this 20 year old is total bust" or "damn these kids are hopeless".

I am hopeful that they will turn out to be legit and consistent top 6 players, but it has not happened yet.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I would argue Bure did that with his first game. He didn't score but fans knew they were watching someone special when he did that first end to end. He had the league buzzing by the season's end.

It's almost like we picked up a McDavid type player with a 6th.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I don't think its a stretch at all to suggest that all 3 of these guys are future all stars.

It's a huge stretch to suggest that all 3 are future all stars.

Any one of them might be some day, but we are certainly not talking about much certainty here. In fact, it's exceptionally unlikely that all 3 will be all stars.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
This thread is silly.

I could type up the same thing but use 2013.

There's a whole lot of 'ifs' going on. Way too early.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
This lol.

McCann looks good but all of the guys drafted in that area look good.

Pastrnak, Scherbak, Barbashev, McCann, you can't go wrong with any of them.

If I didn't know any better i'd think that OP was Jim Benning's mom trying to convince us that he's some kind of drafting genius.

Totally... Every advanced stat screamed Ehlers, so for this to be as successful as OP is making out. Virtanen would have to turn into scoring power forward, instead of the crash and banger I think he'll probably be. For me anyway. I really wanted Ehlers.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Totally... Every advanced stat screamed Ehlers, so for this to be as successful as OP is making out. Virtanen would have to turn into scoring power forward, instead of the crash and banger I think he'll probably be. For me anyway. I really wanted Ehlers.

Could you post/link them please?

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
It.....hurts......to...think....about......

That one set us back a good 3 years.

There's been some bad drafts... Jared McCann has now played more NHL games than our entire 2002 draft class...

Imagine how good the 2014 draft would look if we took Brayden Point (as a lot of us wanted at the time) over Tryamkin...

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
There's been some bad drafts... Jared McCann has now played more NHL games than our entire 2002 draft class...

Imagine how good the 2014 draft would look if we took Brayden Point (as a lot of us wanted at the time) over Tryamkin...

That one still hurts. I was screaming so hard at my computer.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Getting both Sedins in one draft or Bure in the 6th round is going to be a tough one to beat. Setting the bar REALLY high for our recent drafts.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad