2014 Draft will go down as best in Canucks history

Canuxxx

Aug 10, 2008
Hey guys, long time creeper on the boards and very infrequent poster here.

After this summer, like most of you, I was prepared for a decade of despair after some of the horrendous moves made by Mr. Benning. In hindsight, some of those moves don't look as terrible as they did at the time (see Kassian-Prust), but you get the idea. It seemed as though we should be entering a full blown rebuild and blow everything up, yet we were hanging onto the idea of remanning competitive while the Sedins are still around. Essentially, we didn't have an identity. We were a team that didn't seem as though we'd be cup competitive for quite some time, yet we were hanging on to the notion of competing for the playoffs. We had one foot in the water. I was prepared to watch a team that would be semi competitive until the Sedins retired at which point the Titanic would sink and we could finally begin the rebuild.

However, it seems that with the success we had in the 2014 draft, all that has changed. Virtanen at #6 and Mccann at #24. These two kids along with Horvat will likely be our 3 best forwards once the Sedins are gone. I don't think its a stretch at all to suggest that all 3 of these guys are future all stars. Then we get to #36 where we got our goalie of the future in Thatcher Demko. I know things can change at the flick of a switch with goalie prospects, but its hard to not get excited with the current run he's on.

Anywaysss, call me a glass half full kind of guy! Flame away.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
It's looking very promising. Obviously McCann and Virtanen, but Demko looks like a stud, Tryamkin is the kind of boom or bust pick you crave, Forsling has great potential (for Chicago!), and Stewart looks like alright farm depth.

Not a bad first draft for Benning as GM. We'll see in a few years though.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It's a draft class that has the makings of giving us a future. If not for that draft year, our future is looking pretty terrible.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
It's looking very promising. Obviously McCann and Virtanen, but Demko looks like a stud, Tryamkin is the kind of boom or bust pick you crave, Forsling has great potential (for Chicago!), and Stewart looks like alright farm depth.

Not a bad first draft for Benning as GM. We'll see in a few years though.
I don't think anyone watching Stewart in Utica has described him as alright.
we got two art ross winners in one draft.
Exactly.

Demko, McCann, and Forsling look like good picks so far. The rest looks poor to mediocre. Extremely premature thread.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If you look at the top four, the last Gillis draft might have been better....Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels and Subban...I know Cassels and Subban are struggling at Utica right now, but still have potential.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Definitely not the best in Canucks history as of right now (though that could change in 5 years after the kids have developed) as nothing can compare to the Sedins. I think it only seems that way because we've been so terrible at drafting for so many years. Heck, the 2013 draft could be even better than the 2014 draft. Only time will tell.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I see no attempt by OP to support his thread title.

You need a really compelling argument when the '99 draft yielded two Art Ross winners and HHOFers (paging Y2k).

The '14 draft isn't even as good as the '04 draft. We got a Vezina calibre goalie (Schneider), a top 30 dman (Edler) and an elite 3rd liner (Hansen).

Wang Gretzky

Nov 8, 2013
Absolutely not. Like not even close. Virtanen not even the best player we could have picked. Most definitely won't be HHOF like the sedins.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Absolutely not. Like not even close. Virtanen not even the best player we could have picked. Most definitely won't be HHOF like the sedins.

The Sedin draft was easily the best until the recent picks prove otherwise but the twins are borderline HOFers. It's not like they played for the Leafs like Sundin did!

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
we got two art ross winners in one draft.

Getting 2nd and 3rd overall identical twins whom both win scoring titles 2 president trophies and a gold medal will be talked about for decades to come. One day we will look back and realize how lucky we really were.

And it was Brian Burkes doing. :nod:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I would not put 2014 as some amazing draft.

We had the highest pick Vancouver has had in years at #6, and we chose Virtanen who seemed like a tantalizing pick at the time with speed and size, but he is looking like he should have been chosen like 15th overall.

His hockey IQ has shown in his games.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Getting 2nd and 3rd overall identical twins whom both win scoring titles 2 president trophies and a gold medal will be talked about for decades to come. One day we will look back and realize how lucky we really were.

And it was Brian Burkes doing. :nod:

its amazing yes

but then people need to look at the draft we got two hall of famers from

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1999e.html

sort by GP. absolutely insane

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
yeah the 1999 draft was one awful pool of players

the one time canuck luck didn't strike and we grab two future hall of famers

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
If only we hadn't given Forsling away. Great pick. 2013 similarly has 4 possible NHL players in Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, and Subban.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Poor Jake. Already the most hated pick in Nucks history and he is only 19 and just beginning his NHL career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad