2014 Draft - 3rd OV: Leon Draisaitl (Part II)

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
BrLzjLVIAAAxhxa.jpg:large

Continue.

Eirhead*

It's not that simple though.

You have small players such as Andrew Cogliano who is one of the most durable players in the NHL. Henrik Sedin also is not very big and has been able to avoid injuries fairly well. Brad Boyes had a span of time where he played 513 consecutive games. The Kinesiology lesson you gave is correct sure, but there are a lot of other variables you aren't accounting for.

Are you seriously saying that because Draisatl is larger that you won't have to worry about injuries?

Well, I can't say that with absolute certainty obviously. In theory, with his frame, he should be less susceptible. Of course I don't know if his family has any issues with weak ankles, bad knees, etc. etc. But from the outset, I certainly like his odds better.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Draisaitl an Oiler from the Prince Albert Daily Herald

http://www.paherald.sk.ca/Sports/Hockey/2014-06-27/article-3779929/Draisaitl-an-Oiler/1

There is a list of notable NHL players that were drafted from the PA Raiders, bottom of article if your interested.

1986 -- RW - Kim Issel (Edmonton Oilers, 21st overall)

NHL totals: 4 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 PTS

1990 -- F - Scott Allison (Edmonton Oilers, 17th overall)

NHL totals: Did not play

1995 -- LW - Steve Kelly (Edmonton Oilers, 6th overall)

NHL totals: 149 GP, 9 G, 12 A, 21 PTS

2014 -- C - Leon Draisaitl (Edmonton Oilers, 3rd overall)*

NHL totals: Has not played

I'm gonna guess by 2045, the Oilers will draft a PA raider 1st overall, considering the trend.

Edit: Anyways really pumped to have Draisaitl, I will definitely be getting his Jersey to go along my Ryan Nugent Hopkins! Centers for the Wins!

Last edited:

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Lets get this party started: Bennett > Draisaitl :sarcasm:

Entirely possible, and even likely. That doesn't change the fact that Draisaitl was still the better fit for us.

Just think, if we'd taken Bennett, how many trade proposals do you think we'd have seen trading him off for a "big forward" who wasn't nearly as good as Draisatl after our first loss?

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
It's not that simple though.

You have small players such as Andrew Cogliano who is one of the most durable players in the NHL. Henrik Sedin also is not very big and has been able to avoid injuries fairly well. Brad Boyes had a span of time where he played 513 consecutive games. The Kinesiology lesson you gave is correct sure, but there are a lot of other variables you aren't accounting for.

Are you seriously saying that because Draisatl is larger that you won't have to worry about injuries?

Wow. Are you dismissing his science by simply listing a few examples? It's logical to say that a larger, more muscled person is less likely to sustain injury than a smaller person in a contact sport. What's next? We shouldn't harbour doubt in sub 5'10 men making the NBA because Nate Robinson and Muggsy Bouges made it? Variables after all.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Lets get this party started: Bennett > Draisaitl :sarcasm:

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.
-Buddha

Jealousy is both reasonable and belongs to reasonable men, while envy is base and belongs to the base, for the one makes himself get good things by jealousy, while the other does not allow his neighbour to have them through envy.

-Aristotle

A person is born with feelings of envy and hate. If he gives way to them, they will lead him to violence and crime, and any sense of loyalty and good faith will be abandoned.
-Xun Zi

Be happy with what you have. Draisaitl is a top prospect and he is an Oiler. I'm actually more happy drafting him then our previous drafts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
It's logical to say that a larger, more muscled person is less likely to sustain injury than a smaller person in a contact sport.

I've thought about this for years and I seriously wonder if this has any truth to it at all in hockey.

Do we really see smaller players get hurt more often?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I really wanted to listen to the Don Cherry rant and found it here:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/hockey-central-at-noon/

It's really weird because it is hilarious, embarrassing and sad at the same time.

I stopped listening to Don Cherry for years, his Bigotry is a stain in what it means to be Canadian, and ironic because he is lauded for his defense and praise of Canadian teams and players.

With the NHL, you should be critiqued as a hockey player, not from what country you were born.

Edit: If he just sticks to talking hockey, he's bearable.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I stopped listening to Don Cherry for years, his Bigotry is a stain in what it means to be Canadian, and ironic because he is lauded for his defense and praise of Canadian teams and players.

With the NHL, you should be critiqued as a hockey player, not from what country you were born.

everytime don cherry gets blasted for his racial and knowledgeable rants he dedicates 2 minutes to recognizing the military and all they do and hes all good again.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
I've thought about this for years and I seriously wonder if this has any truth to it at all in hockey.

Do we really see smaller players get hurt more often?

Well, to inflict the same proportional damage, more force needs to be applied to the larger object. Plus, being smaller makes you more likely to be launched into the boards, receive a head shot (head is closer to shoulders/elbows), get a puck/stick in the face, etc.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Draisaitl an Oiler from the Prince Albert Daily Herald

http://www.paherald.sk.ca/Sports/Hockey/2014-06-27/article-3779929/Draisaitl-an-Oiler/1

There is a list of notable NHL players that were drafted from the PA Raiders, bottom of article if your interested.

I'm gonna guess by 2045, the Oilers will draft a PA raider 1st overall, considering the trend.

Edit: Anyways really pumped to have Draisaitl, I will definitely be getting his Jersey to go along my Ryan Nugent Hopkins! Centers for the Wins!

if he hits sam bennett in his face in his first BOA against him i will buy a jersey with his name on it

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Is it a rant about picking Draisaitl? Just wondering what time about it's at, their player is giving me a headache.

He starts of ranting about Toronto picking Nylander over Ritchie.
Then at about 7:40 he is asked about Draisaitl. Afterwards he also complains about Florida taking Barkov over Jones last year. That's when I stopped listening.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Quote:

1986 -- RW - Kim Issel (Edmonton Oilers, 21st overall)

NHL totals: 4 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 PTS

1990 -- F - Scott Allison (Edmonton Oilers, 17th overall)

NHL totals: Did not play

1995 -- LW - Steve Kelly (Edmonton Oilers, 6th overall)

NHL totals: 149 GP, 9 G, 12 A, 21 PTS

2014 -- C - Leon Draisaitl (Edmonton Oilers, 3rd overall)*

NHL totals: Has not played

Looks like Edmonton drafting PA Raiders hasn't been kind to them. Hopefully Draisaitl can break that trend. Oh yeah, Bennett sucks...

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Well, to inflict the same proportional damage, more force needs to be applied to the larger object. Plus, being smaller makes you more likely to be launched into the boards, receive a head shot (head is closer to shoulders/elbows), get a puck/stick in the face, etc.
Understood. But do we actually see that?

From what I can tell, both big and small players deal with shoulder/knee injuries, pucks traveling at high speeds, concussions, freak incidents.

It doesn't seem to split by a big/small line.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010

From what I can tell, both big and small players deal with shoulder/knee injuries, pucks traveling at high speeds, concussions, freak incidents.

Seems impossibly convoluted to actually to actually measure and I don't think the old eye test is sufficient. It would also be safe to say that the small guys who can't take the physicality of the league are out it altogether more often than the big guys who can't take it. So the rate injuries would occur could be considered skewed in that regard.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003

In terms of Bennett, I'd be more worried about his weight/frame moreso than his height.

I look at shoulder injuries like Hemsky has had and if hewere built more solid like a guy like Iggy or someone like that, I don't think they have the same issues.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
In terms of Bennett, I'd be more worried about his weight/frame moreso than his height.

I look at shoulder injuries like Hemsky has had and if hewere built more solid like a guy like Iggy or someone like that, I don't think they have the same issues.

IMO there is no way that Bennett plays most of his carter at Centre.

OVOXO*

Entirely possible, and even likely. That doesn't change the fact that Draisaitl was still the better fit for us.

Just think, if we'd taken Bennett, how many trade proposals do you think we'd have seen trading him off for a "big forward" who wasn't nearly as good as Draisatl after our first loss?

Same people saying Bennett> Draisatl were probably saying Huberdeau and Couturier > Landeskog because of rankings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad