WC: 2014 Division IA • Apr. 20-26 • General Discussion

zamo86*

Few take-outs about the players: Urbas - well done, seems like that invitation to the Caps camp really has lifted his spirits. Mursak - not that good of a hockey player.

And somehow the IIHF picks Mursak as the best FW on the tournament (though I agree that it should have been Urbas).

zamo86*

Give Hungary, Ukraine or Japan a shot ffs if Austria and Slovenia are going up to get blown out anyway.

AUSTRIA
WC 2013 (Finland)
L vs USA (5-3)
L vs FRA (3-1)
W vs LAT (6-3)
L vs GER (2-0)
W vs SVK (2-1 SO)
L vs FIN (7-2)
L vs RUS (8-4)

WC 2013 Slovenia (Sweden)
L vs NOR (3-1)
L vs BLR (4-3)
L vs DEN (3-2 OT)
L vs SWI (7-1)
L vs CZE (4-2)
L vs SWE (2-0)
L vs CAN (4-3 OT)

Most of those results are pretty close and Austria was very unlucky to get relegated with two wins. I strongly doubt both teams will get relegated next year and I am sure if Japan would qualify they would have finished the first round with goal difference close to -30. Its simple really. They had a chance to qualify and they blew it.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
And somehow the IIHF picks Mursak as the best FW on the tournament (though I agree that it should have been Urbas).

Maybe he was, I didn't follow the tournament that closely but I meant on the larger, more KHL-related scale. He had such a good rep just because he was in Red Wings organization for so long and was supposedly close to making the team. At first, I thought maybe he needs time to adapt to the KHL, bigger rinks and so on but now it's quite evident to me, he's just not that good.

zamo86*

Maybe he was, I didn't follow the tournament that closely but I meant on the larger, more KHL-related scale. He had such a good rep just because he was in Red Wings organization for so long and was supposedly close to making the team. At first, I thought maybe he needs time to adapt to the KHL, bigger rinks and so on but now it's quite evident to me, he's just not that good.

Depends on what you expected from him. His first full Euro season after almost a decade of NA hockey he had 12 goals and 13 assists in 49 regulars season games in the KHL, while switching teams in the mid-season (because of Kharabovsk financial problems).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Depends on what you expected from him. His first full Euro season after almost a decade of NA hockey he had 12 goals and 13 assists in 49 regulars season games in the KHL, while switching teams in the mid-season (because of Kharabovsk financial problems).

I expected him to be a consistent 30-40 point player but he would have hard time cracking 25 on a decent team, when it comes to offensive responsibilities he couldn't have asked for a better team than Amur, he is not going to have those on any playoff team. Frankly, I don't think any Russian contender will sign him, they don't have roster spots for imports to spare.

And generally, I was expecting something different. It appears, speed and shoot-first attitude is really all he has. His physicality, vision, shot, defensive play, shot.. They are really nothing to write home about.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Sign him to what? He already has one more year on his contract in CSKA.

To play for them. He has a contract with CSKA, good for him. I meant "I don't think any Russian contender will [ever] sign him". Is that better?

Or do you consider CSKA to be a contender?

Arrhizal

May 4, 2012
Slovenia
If he's good enough for a top6 role in CSKA he's good for plenty of other russian clubs. Who is a contender when is something I won't discuss.

And really, I love all these your predictions/opinions. Another year in Div 1 for Slovenia for sure, eh? People value their opinion on these forums way too much. Everybody thinks they're a GM or coach.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If he's good enough for a top6 role in CSKA he's good for plenty of other russian clubs. Who is a contender when is something I won't discuss.

And really, I love all these your predictions/opinions. Another year in Div 1 for Slovenia for sure, eh? People value their opinion on these forums way too much. Everybody thinks they're a GM or coach.

Is he good enough though? With Radulov and Morozov at RW I really don't think he will have a top6 role on the team and he played on the third line in the playoffs even though Radulov was injured.

I said that thing about Slovenia a week before figuring out that actually it's two teams who get promoted and Austrians are sending their B team. And yes, that's what these boards are for, what would be their point if people didn't state their opinions?

One thing I do agree about is that people value their opinion too much and get offended too easily. For example, if anyone posts a little bit of fair critique for a beloved NT star some guys instantly grab their Superman capes and fly to help the poor good Canadian/Romanian/Slovenian boy whom somebody dared to insult by exposing glaring facts about their weaknesses.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad