Olympics: 2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part VIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Looks like Canada is going to wait until 1/7 to name the team. The U.S. is still going to name theirs on 1/1.

To tie-in the announcement with the Winter Classic, I assume? I think waiting until January 7 is smart....we have a few guys who are underperforming (Giroux, Staal) and a few who are returning from injury (Nash, Carter, Duchene (though that was relatively minor)), so every extra day to evaluate these guys counts in my books.

xsnyper

Mar 25, 2012
Sudbury
Should Ward not be given a shot? He has the most experience playing on the larger ice surface (from the World Championship). How can Smith be #3 over Ward?

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Looks like Canada is going to wait until 1/7 to name the team. The U.S. is still going to name theirs on 1/1.

To tie-in the announcement with the Winter Classic, I assume? I think waiting until January 7 is smart....we have a few guys who are underperforming (Giroux, Staal) and a few who are returning from injury (Nash, Carter, Duchene (though that was relatively minor)), so every extra day to evaluate these guys counts in my books.

How will this affect the naming of Stamkos to the roster (assuming they do)? Once named, if still hurt by the time the games start, can he be replaced?

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Best lineup for Canada imo:

Logan Couture - Sidney Crosby - Steven Stamkos
Claude Giroux - John Tavares - Corey Perry
Eric Staal - Jonathan Toews - Matt Duchene
Jamie Benn - Patrice Bergeron - Martin St. Louis
Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty
Shea Weber - Alex Pietrangelo
P.K. Subban - Brent Seabrook
Cam Ward
Carey Price

Spares: James Neal F, Kris Letang D, Roberto Luongo G

I know Luongo will be dressing, I just think personally that Cam Ward is the best goaltender in Canada.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Price plays for Montreal. He's constantly under pressure.

THIS.

Carey Price has the highest pressure job in the entire NHL: #1 Goalie for the Habs.

As far as pressure games go, like another poster said, his playoff performances in the NHL were pretty much the same as the regular season. Now when it comes to international play, he was named tournament MVP in his last appearance winning 6 games out of 6 with a 1.14 GAA and a ,961 save %. He went on later to win the Calder Cup and be named tournament MVP once again.

Here's the bottom line: put TC in front of Carey Price and chances are you're going home with Gold.

This guy can handle the pressure, it's not even a factor IMO.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Last season playoffs left a bad taste in my mind with regards to Price playing under pressure.

Similarly i was super impressed with Corey Crawford stepping up his game in the playoffs.

I would have him and Luongo ahead of Price. Just my personal opinion though, I acknowledge that Price is having a great regular season thus far. I just don't want to trust him for Olympics.

Price was playing poorly way before the playoffs last year, it wasn't like he was having a really good end to the season and then played badly in the playoffs.

Heck if Price couldn't handle pressure, don't you think he would have flamed out after the 2010 season, when he was booed, benched for Halak, and when Halak was traded, and a 23 year old Price was booed in the pre-season by Mtl fans, he went on to have his best year that season, and played amazing in the playoffs.

Karl Pilkington

Feb 25, 2004
Ottawa
www.canadiens.com
Please, Mtl isn't a far better team, even if they are better it's not to the point here they would a .26sv%.

Heck Mtl defence has only recently been healthy with the return of Emlelin, before that we had Daiz playing Top 4 mins, not nhl ready dmen in Tinordi, Beaulieu playing games too.

It's Price that's making them look better.

Could be that Montreal is way better because Price is way better than Lu? :sarcasm:

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I don't get the outrage. It's common sport philosophy to use the more experienced player when all else is equal. Luongo is just as good as Price. Price having better stats after two months on a much better defensive team isn't going to erase Luongos 10+ year career. I don't think people realize just how bad Vancover's team has been compared to years past. Price will have steal the job from Luongo in the preliminary rounds IMO.

Polo*

where is this bs that Price "craps the bed in pressure games" come from?

His play in the playoffs has always been the same it was during the season ever year he has been in the playoffs?

from 20-23, his playoffs were up and down like they were during the season, specially of his age, ex in rookie year, he shuts out the Bruins in game 5, 1-0 to take a 3-1 series lead, then has a horrible game 6, then goes and gets a shutout in game 7. Up and down just like he was that rookie year.

In 2011 he had a great regular season, and went out to outplay Tim Thomas in the first round even tho the Habs lost in OT of game 7...

Last year playoffs, he has playing horrible for 10+ games before the playoffs.

There is nothing that says that Price play changes due to playoffs, or it being a big game. His playoff numbers are not as good because most of the games were when he was 20-23, since the 2011, in the playoffs his sv% in around .920.

Price goes on stretches of pretty bad hockey where he lets soft goals in. Thats why people dont trust him.

As for this thread.

Habs fans: Price

Everyone else: Not Price.

You habs fans might as well stop over flowing the thread pumping up Price's ego. As you can see, no one is buying it.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
I don't get the outrage. It's common sport philosophy to use the more experienced player when all else is equal. Luongo is just as good as Price. Price having better stats after two months on a much better defensive team isn't going to erase Luongos 10+ year career. I don't think people realize just how bad Vancover's team has been compared to years past. Price will have steal the job from Luongo in the preliminary rounds IMO.

The problem is that all else is NOT equal. Luongo recently crapped the bed in the stanley cup finals and fought for the starting job the last 2 years. Also, don't get me started on the better defense ********, that's been debunked no later than 10 posts ago.

Cool Hand Goof*

its luongos job to lose , who cares about what price is doing right now , hes still going to have to sit on the bench and try to outplay him if the time comes

pretty evident most hf boards members dont really know much about goaltending if there claiming luongo doesnt have what it takes

as for the people who say price will steal it no question , i bookmarked this thread

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
The problem is that all else is NOT equal. Luongo recently crapped the bed in the stanley cup finals and fought for the starting job the last 2 years. Also, don't get me started on the better defense ********, that's been debunked no later than 10 posts ago.
Luongo is the reason the Canucks won 3 games in the Stanley Cup Final.

No Habs fan should be bringing up playoffs in this debate, Price has been putrid in all but 1 of his playoff appearances. Marc-Andre Fleury minus the expectations.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
we get it , you're a homer

Solid argument.

How many games has Loooouuuuuuuu stolen this year? Was he not fighting for his #1 job for the last 2 seasons? Did he not completely choke in the SCF?

Sure, part of me wants him to succeed for homerific reasons, but the fact of the matter is that Price has been playing better than Luongo for more than just this one season.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
So what I'm basically seeing is a bunch of outraged Montreal fans trying to convince everyone Price should be the starter...is that correct?

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
So what I'm basically seeing is a bunch of outraged Montreal fans trying to convince everyone Price should be the starter...is that correct?
Regardless of what happens, both goalies will get a chance and whoever plays better will get the starting spot.

Price has played well enough to earn consideration and people like Lebrun have already said that they want Price to be "the guy" for it and Luongo as the experience part to earn it. They will likely be battling it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad