Olympics: 2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part VIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Anyway, i friggin hope he lands the job so everyone in here can see how idiotic it is to label him a "choker".
Even if he does and wins the gold, people will still yap about "the team won in spite of him/any goalie could have won the gold with that team". Ask Canucks fans how we know :)

neutral*

All this thread is, is Habs and Canuck fans arguing over whether Price or Luongo should start.... Does it really matter who starts? Like seriously.. the first two games are against freaking Norway and Austria.... Luongo will probably get the first one, Price will get the next one... Whichever goalie is doing better DURING the tournament will play... how hard is that to figure out? So stop arguing over who's starting and come together in brotherly Canadian love and cheer on your national team.

Jerk Store*

His 2007 World Junior MVP, Calder cup MVP say hello.

Put a team like TC in front of him and he will be lights out. The guy's been playing for a fringe playoff team his entire NHL career.

Anyway, i friggin hope he lands the job so everyone in here can see how idiotic it is to label him a "choker".

He is a choker, I don't really care what you say. I've done the comparison before between regular season and playoffs and it's really bad. So unless the team is different in the playoffs than it was in the season, or they all start sucking all of a sudden... And sorry, but I've watched every playoff game and he's been bad.

I'm not saying he'll be bad forever but he hasn't shown anything so far.

If you're happy about a future NHL'er doing good in juniors and the AHL, I'm happy for you. This is the feakin Olympics.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Oh I don't give a rats ass if they're enraged or not. We're going there as a country, I don't care if the pkayers are from my favourite team or not. His body of work in the post season is brutal. Nobody cares about that one good series vs Boston.

Luongo has at least been to the finals and won gold, so he's proven at least he won't have a meltdown to the point where he costs us the game.

I'm already discouraged enough about recent performances at the world juniors...

You do realize that he was 20 during his first playoff run and won his first round which included 2 shutouts? He was literally thrown into the fire, the guy is 26 and on his 7th year in the NHL. Most goalies don't make it until they are 23-24.

I'm not betting on his past playoff performances when he was a kid with the weight of hockey mad Montreal on his shoulders, playing for a fringe playoff team. I'm betting on an exceptional athlete that has matured well and improved his game considerably.

Luongo is on the decline, Price is on the rise, it's as simple as that.

Jerk Store*

All this thread is, is Habs and Canuck fans arguing over whether Price or Luongo should start.... Does it really matter who starts? Like seriously.. the first two games are against freaking Norway and Austria.... Luongo will probably get the first one, Price will get the next one... Whichever goalie is doing better DURING the tournament will play... how hard is that to figure out? So stop arguing over who's starting and come together in brotherly Canadian love and cheer on your national team.

Still, I don't care how they do in those meaningless games.

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Best lineup for Canada imo:

Logan Couture - Sidney Crosby - Steven Stamkos
Claude Giroux - John Tavares - Corey Perry
Eric Staal - Jonathan Toews - Matt Duchene
Jamie Benn - Patrice Bergeron - Martin St. Louis
Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty
Shea Weber - Alex Pietrangelo
P.K. Subban - Brent Seabrook
Cam Ward
Carey Price

Spares: James Neal F, Kris Letang D, Roberto Luongo G

I know Luongo will be dressing, I just think personally that Cam Ward is the best goaltender in Canada.

I don't see Cam Ward even getting consideration over Price, or even Luongo for that matter. Maybe as the third goalie along with Crawford or smith, but not as the starter.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Talking about choking during pressure, Lu had to be stripped of his captaincy because team knew he was a choker and then tried to trade him.

Price hasn't played great in the playoffs, but his play going into the playoffs was always on par with who he played in then, he knew went into the playoffs playing well only to choke to the pressure, all btw were in his early 20's. You can say Price isn't that good of a goalie but he doesn't choke lime Lu in the playoffs.

Jerk Store*

You do realize that he was 20 during his first playoff run and won his first round which included 2 shutouts? He was literally thrown into the fire, the guy is 26 and on his 7th year in the NHL. Most goalies don't make it until they are 23-24.

I'm not betting on his past playoff performances when he was a kid with the weight of hockey mad Montreal on his shoulders, playing for a fringe playoff team. I'm betting on an exceptional athlete that has matured well and improved his game considerably.

Luongo is on the decline, Price is on the rise, it's as simple as that.

It's not. Do you think canadians in general aren't as hockey crazy for the Olympics than Montreal fans or something? Montreal finished 2nd last year and lost against the 7th seed. Not 6 years ago. Last year! Not the first time he has decent seasons and poir playoffs. Give your head a shake

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
God I can't wait for the Olympics.... Here at emu thirteen forwards 7 defencemen and 3 goalies

Crosby
Stammer (if healthy)
Toews
Tavares
Perry
Thornton
Getzlaf
Bergeron
Richards
Duchene
Eric Staal
Taylor Hall
Jamie Benn

Keith
Weber
Doughty
Petro
Subban
J-Bo
Seabrook

Price
Luongo
Fleury

Okay, Price is playing his way into the #1 spot but I would not be surprised if Luo starts the tourney at 1 and loses it to Price

Seabrook is the seventh D man but ends up playing more than Subban. I'm a Habs fan but have a sinking feeling that my boy will be too irresponsible early on and be limited to PP time.

Thornton has the experience and is playing lights out. Absolutely needs to be on this team.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Still, I don't care how they do in those meaningless games.

Lmao deal with it buddy because Pierre Lebrun has said that Team Canada wants Price as their for the Olympics and where hoping that last year late year slump was just that and were wanted him to have a good start to the year, and he was done that and more.

Exactly quote was

"Team Canada will never admit this, but Price is the guy they want in Sochi."

Was said in tsn early in the year, don't have video link but there was a thread about it.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1518725

Like I said

Obama-Deal-With-It.jpg

Last edited:

xsnyper

Mar 25, 2012
Sudbury
I think Cam Ward would be a smart choice. He has the most experience playing on the larger ice surface (from the World Championships).

At least make him 3rd over M. Smith who is not having the best season.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's not some astronomical difference like some Habs fans are making it out to be, but if Price has been as solid as most claim then he should be the starter. Luongo hasn't gone god mode in a long time, coming from a Canucks fan.

StringerBell

Both Price and Luongo are both capable of carrying a team when they're hot. Let them both play in the round robin, and let the best man start. If they're even, give it to Lou due to past experience.

Seems like the logical course of action. Too bad it's not controversial enough to get proposed in the media.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
It's not some astronomical difference like some Habs fans are making it out to be, but if Price has been as solid as most claim then he should be the starter. Luongo hasn't gone god mode in a long time, coming from a Canucks fan.

Price has been playing the best we've seen him as a pro, at least consistency wise. He's not letting in those back breakers once in a while like he was before. That being said, you can still see the room for growth and should be continue on this curve over the next 2 months he should definitely be the starter.

However, the fact still remains the team isn't picked and a lot of things can happen in 2 months so nothing is for certain. If I had to guess, Luongo and Price split the round robin and go from there.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Even though Price is the better goalie present day (imo of course), Luongo probably gets the first round robin game due to his experience.

Price gets the next, and then they'll probably pick their #1 guy, just like they did in past Olympics.

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Cam Ward would be a smart choice. He has the most experience playing on the larger ice surface (from the World Championships).

At least make him 3rd over M. Smith who is not having the best season.

I would agree to that. Never liked Smith as the third goalie anyway, just seems like lots of people are including him, for me I think it will be Crawford but I wouldn't mind Ward being there.

Jerk Store*

Lmao deal with it buddy because Pierre Lebrun has said that Team Canada wants Price as their for the Olympics and where hoping that last year late year slump was just that and were wanted him to have a good start to the year, and he was done that and more.

Exactly quote was

"Team Canada will never admit this, but Price is the guy they want in Sochi."

Was said in tsn early in the year, don't have video link but there was a thread about it.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1518725

Like I said

Obama-Deal-With-It.jpg

Oh Lebrun said that? Well damn, done deal!

Stop being a fanboy and be about team Canada. Price sucks in big games. That's all there is to it. Not arguing with you anymore.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
It's not. Do you think canadians in general aren't as hockey crazy for the Olympics than Montreal fans or something? Montreal finished 2nd last year and lost against the 7th seed. Not 6 years ago. Last year! Not the first time he has decent seasons and poir playoffs. Give your head a shake

Montreal also had a terrible last 10 games which carried through into the playoffs. It all coincided with the loss of Emelin and other injuries that piled up. Priced played very well in the game we won and looked pretty average the other two, then he got injured and that was it.

You're entitled to your opinion, but to be honest it seems like you're simply looking at stats columns for your assessment of CP's performance.

Jerk Store*

ROFL, if you're going to dish it out, you need to learn how to take it.

No I can take it, no problem, but there's no point arguing with someone who's a fanboy before a hockey fan. That's all.

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
Either one of them would be good..

..for the other teams. :laugh:

No but Loungo, if playing well or same level, should be nr 1. National teams is more then just winning, like Joel Lundqvist in my mind does not "deserve" a spot cause there is better players, but he has earned it and should get one!

/ Hippy Joe

thegreatgasby*

Price is a certified choker. Can't play in big games. Pre tty sure Hockey Canada knew he wouldn't start for them regardless of the season.

Luongo starts cause there's nothing better.

certified chocker won the calder cup , wolrd junior (in shootout) :handclap team canada want carey to start..and he will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad