2014 Camp Thread - Part II | Hockey is back! | 9/30: Samuelsson clears waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Keeping Jordan Staal would have made us a better team had he been able to accept a 3rd line role.

He gives us the sort of size, possession numbers, and bottom 6 scoring that we've sorely missed ever since he left, and with that contract on the books, it's unlikely we sign Dupuis or Scuderi.

...or Malkin/Letang, knowing the last gaggle of stupid.

Staal didn't want to be here. And that probably ended up being for the best. If cap space wasn't a thing... yeah, sure... whatever.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Salary cap is a bit tricky. I'd rather just roll with what we have until a trade goes down, but if we can somehow get Adams off the roster, sure, pick him up.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I wonder if Mueller was in the WHL when Johnston was. Hey, the old regime would never want a Peter Mueller. Our new regime? Yeah, I could see this one.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm just glad we are finally gettins more euros on this team, Shero hated them for some reason.

He and his pet coach were mostly allergic to finesse. Not to generalize all European players as simply finesse... but I believe that was their mindset. Unless they were stuck with (Malkin) it or it came in the form of a North American defenseman (draftees), of course. I don't want a team of all finesse players. You won't get far. But Shero and Bylsma took it to the Nth degree.

"We're not a skill team... we're a grinding team."

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
...or Malkin/Letang, knowing the last gaggle of stupid.

Staal didn't want to be here. And that probably ended up being for the best. If cap space wasn't a thing... yeah, sure... whatever.

I still don't have a problem with the Scuds/Dupes/Kunitz signings. Long-term injuries to 2/3 of that group, and some unforeseeable roster developments really skew perception IMO.

Dupes was coming off a year where he was 7th in Selke voting, produced on pace for 34 goals and 65 points, and was leading the NHL in playoff goals when we were eliminated. Scuds was LA's best shutdown defenseman in the previous playoffs and seemed to be a decent anchor candidate for Letang. And this was prior to Maatta's unpredictable ascent.

But whatever. I know I'm in the tiny minority on this one, haha.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He and his pet coach were mostly allergic to finesse. Not to generalize all European players as simply finesse... but I believe that was their mindset. Unless they were stuck with (Malkin) it or it came in the form of a North American defenseman (draftees), of course. I don't want a team of all finesse players. You won't get far. But Shero and Bylsma took it to the Nth degree.

And incredibly, we were still butter soft when it mattered. What quality coaching we had.

Teams should be skilled and tough. Not neither.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Staal should have drank his milk.

I feel bad for the guy, honestly.

To say he's had it rough so far in Carolina would be an understatement. But, I mean... that's what the guy wanted so very badly. Welp...

And incredibly, we were still butter soft when it mattered. What quality coaching we had.

Teams should be skilled and tough. Not neither.

Completely agree.

Some might think I'm "anti-fighting" or an advocate of "figure skating" or whatever. Couldn't be farther from the truth. I love the physical elements of the game. There is and always will be (I hope) a place for it. I even really enjoy a good scrap... so long as it's organic. I just don't like sideshows -- they bore me. But you're certainly right -- a good team embraces both facets.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I still don't have a problem with the Scuds/Dupes/Kunitz signings. Long-term injuries to 2/3 of that group, and some unforeseeable roster developments really skew perception IMO.

Dupes was coming off a year where he was 7th in Selke voting, produced on pace for 34 goals and 65 points, and was leading the NHL in playoff goals when we were eliminated. Scuds was LA's best shutdown defenseman in the previous playoffs and seemed to be a decent anchor candidate for Letang. And this was prior to Maatta's unpredictable ascent.

I would have signed MacArthur and only one of Kunitz/Dupuis. I was on board with the Scuds signing, but we should have moved Nisky for depth at forward.

Shero got it half right at best, IMO. Watching that Boston series and not coming away with the realization that he needed to do a better job building around Crosby/Malkin is beyond me. Adding Jussi Jokinen to our top 6 group as the only change was pretty ridiculous.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I would have signed MacArthur and only one of Kunitz/Dupuis. I was on board with the Scuds signing, but we should have moved Nisky for depth at forward.

We'd have been banking on signing him, because we re-signed Dupes and Kunitz ahead of UFA.

As for Nisky, I'm sure that was the plan until injuries snowballed.

Shero got it half right at best, IMO. Watching that Boston series and not coming away with the realization that he needed to do a better job building around Crosby/Malkin is beyond me. Adding Jussi Jokinen to our top 6 group as the only change was pretty ridiculous.

Injuries made it difficult.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

There is absolutely no reason Shero should have tied up over 7M for 4 year in Duper and Scuds, none.

Don't even get me started on the LNTCs. ****ing garbage.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Pens want top 6 skilled wingers on the top 6, Mueller is a skilled player although concussion prone but i would take a chance on him for a year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pens want top 6 skilled wingers on the top 6, Mueller is a skilled player although concussion prone but i would take a chance on him for a year.

and we can waive him ourselves if it doesn't work out. There's pretty much no risk in giving him a shot, right? I'm not high on the guy at all, but we are in desperate need of some talent.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

You need a balance. Get a few finese players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad