2014/2015 Scapegoat Prediction

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Let Malkin and Winchester play with one of the goons

I thought about that too. Not sure if he'll appreciate to center Bordeleau and Winchester with 4th line minutes though.

Mitchell is probably the most expandable player on this team, I really don't know why they extended him for 3 more years while McGinn only got 2 years. Oh well.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I too like the idea of a McGinn-Briere-Talbot line. Let Malkin and Winchester play with one of the goons and that's a very nice bottom 6. Plus if/when briere gets hurt that could be a nice spot for Hishon to come up into if McGinn hasn't been called into duty higher up the food chain to fill for an injury there.

Yeah he wouldn't have to handle as much physical play along the boards.

McGinn - Hishon - Talbot

McLeod/Bordy - Mitchell - Winchester

That looks just as good once Briere is gone.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I thought about that too. Not sure if he'll appreciate to center Bordeleau and Winchester with 4th line minutes though.

Mitchell is probably the most expandable player on this team, I really don't know why they extended him for 3 more years while McGinn only got 2 years. Oh well.

I ***** about Malkin as much as anyone but he's been a great soldier in his time here and I don't think he'd complain about it , especially if he and Winchester could gel and take over as the top PK unit. bordy and highlander are competent hockey players for goons and do create some opportunities on the forecheck, while also clearing space as Malkin does his weave-y thing, not to mention how super humanly efficient bordy's shooting was for much of last season ;-)

Now I could see Patrick not wanting to punish Malkin with a demotion like that because of what a great team guy he was and the strong work he's delivered in literally everything except for his passing, and so keeping him up with McG and briere, but i don't see Malkin causing a fuss if he starts on the 4th line with Winchester, especially since patty would still rely on him when injuries hit and on specials.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Reto Berra will forever be blamed even if shes on the bench. We just don't have the berra necessities.

I will still also blame Zanon.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Berra and Mitchell are the obvious scapegoats IMO, and probably ones that I will give a fair amount of flack to this year.

That said, I think McLeod and Bordy will continue to get hate even thought they're about as good as it gets in their role as 4th liners, and not really that weak in any area of the game when it comes to 4th liners. Offensively or defensively.

People just seem to want 2nd or 3rd liners playing all three spots of their 4th line, and underestimate how important it is to have roles that involve other things than scoring.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Berra and Mitchell are the obvious scapegoats IMO, and probably ones that I will give a fair amount of flack to this year.

That said, I think McLeod and Bordy will continue to get hate even thought they're about as good as it gets in their role as 4th liners, and not really that weak in any area of the game when it comes to 4th liners. Offensively or defensively.

People just seem to want 2nd or 3rd liners playing all three spots of their 4th line, and underestimate how important it is to have roles that involve other things than scoring.

People are idiots, what else is new? Bordy and highlander are awesome goons, two of the best hockey players in their respective fighting classes, now I don't think Cody is much of a fighter since his fights usually end up grappling feats that don't change momentum in either direction, but he plays hard, is a great lockerroom guy, became a good PKer and will stand up and answer the call when needed.

Only time *****ing about either one is warranted is if highlander gets played in the top 6 again cause patty doesn't wanna call anyone up. That said I think that with the depth we have this year, at least to start the season, only one of them should be in the lineup at a time, at least until injuries hit cause I'd rather surround Malkin with bordy and Cody again than play cliche.

I feel similarly about people *****ing about Berra, he's a backup and worst comes to worst we threw away a late second round pick not to rush Aitto and the others. Not to mention I expect to see a lot better than what he gave the Avs after having had some time to work with allaire and learn from Varly, cause he stole some games for the flames last year when on his game and still has exceptional tools. But even if he doesn't make any growth that's a back up goalie on a team with a guy coming off of a vezina caliber year with a number of talented kids percolating down on the farm.

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
People are idiots, what else is new? Bordy and highlander are awesome goons, two of the best hockey players in their respective fighting classes, now I don't think Cody is much of a fighter since his fights usually end up grappling feats that don't change momentum in either direction, but he plays hard, is a great lockerroom guy, became a good PKer and will stand up and answer the call when needed.

Only time *****ing about either one is warranted is if highlander gets played in the top 6 again cause patty doesn't wanna call anyone up. That said I think that with the depth we have this year, at least to start the season, only one of them should be in the lineup at a time, at least until injuries hit cause I'd rather surround Malkin with bordy and Cody again than play cliche.

I feel similarly about people *****ing about Berra, he's a backup and worst comes to worst we threw away a late second round pick not to rush Aitto and the others. Not to mention I expect to see a lot better than what he gave the Avs after having had some time to work with allaire and learn from Varly, cause he stole some games for the flames last year when on his game and still has exceptional tools. But even if he doesn't make any growth that's a back up goalie on a team with a guy coming off of a vezina caliber year with a number of talented kids percolating down on the farm.

Yeah its odd, I rewatched some flames games with Berra and he looked like a vastly different goalie than the guy we got. Big in his crease, battling, etc. But to be fair WPG is a b**tch to play against and then they threw him to the wolves in his 2nd game.
I do think the difference between a wild card fight and a locked spot in the playoffs will come down to him though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Even Varly looks rusty with a week off and Berra was playing on 3 weeks rest each time. I don't think he will be a complete disaster either and I'm positive using one of our prospects wouldn't be a better option. But if he is a disaster Roy isn't going to just watch it happen. It's a concern but not the biggest concern of ours.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Thread left scapegoats?
I thought blaming Staz was good but obviously not in the majority...
TV c u in the am.... Hope I recognize you to say hello!
Camp in 15 hours!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad