Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part I* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 10/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Quebec will take Kevin Fiala in the CHL Import Draft tomorrow.

Duclair and Fiala on the same line...

QMJHL defensemen be like...

tumblr_n1zgigp7eo1s3p5nho2_400.gif

Maybe they'll catch a break and Duclair will make the Rangers.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Andersson, Bodie, Donnay, Graves, Hughes, Nanne, Noreau, Walcott and Zamorsky are all second and third tier prospects, but if just one them makes it as a quality NHLer, it would be a big boost to us. We got them for nothing (UDFA) or almost nothing (mid to late round picks). I think the odds of 1 out of these 9 prospects making it are pretty good. Together with Skjei and McIlrath, we should be good as far as defensemen go. The sheer quantity of having 11 defensemen prospects means our corps are decent.

This is one of those cases where quantity becomes quality since odds are that at least one of the 9 lesser prospects exceeds our expectations.

Last edited:

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Andersson, Bodie, Donnay, Graves, Hughes, Nanne, Noreau, Walcott and Zamorsky are all second and third tier prospects, but if just one them makes it as a quality NHLer, it would be a big boost to us. We got them for nothing (UDFA) or almost nothing (mid to late round picks). I think the odds of 1 out of these 9 prospects making it are pretty good. Together with Skjei and McIlrath, we should be good as far as defensemen go. The sheer quantity of having 11 defensemen prospects means our corps are decent.

This is one of those cases where quantity becomes quality since odds are that at least one of the 9 lesser prospects exceeds our expectations.

I'd separate those guys into two different groups.

A) Andersson, Bodie, Nanne, Walcott and Zamorsky
B) Donnay, Graves, Hughes, and Noreau

The first set has potential to add offensive punch to the blue line. The second is more guys who'll be lower pairing, stay-at-home types if they make it. I'd also add Mantha to that second group.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Where does Haggerty fit into all this (I know nothing about him). Does he have the kind of game that would let him compete for either a 3rd/4th line wing spot?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Where does Haggerty fit into all this (I know nothing about him). Does he have the kind of game that would let him compete for either a 3rd/4th line wing spot?

It depends on how pro ready he is. He's a big, heavy, and somewhat speedy winger, with an absolutely killer right handed shot. He could be a huge asset, especially on the powerplay, but he almost certainly needs time in Hartford.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

It depends on how pro ready he is. He's a big, heavy, and somewhat speedy winger, with an absolutely killer right handed shot. He could be a huge asset, especially on the powerplay, but he almost certainly needs time in Hartford.

He definitely needs bake time in Hartford.
I can't agree with Zil that he could be called speedy at the pro level.
Good shot, instinctive scorer, but IMHO not quick or well-rounded yet.
ECAC was the one amateur league where I did see or watch many games.

I'd expect him to be behind not only Miller, Lindberg, Fast, but in the call-up rankings, also behind Hrivik, Bourque, Kristo and Yogan, pretty much dead-even with Nicholls as winger-with-size-and-skill behind Hrivik and Yogan, on the '14-15 call-up depth-chart.

After Miller, Lindberg, Fast, none of the other F prospects playing pro this year are clearly nearly NHL ready.
Which does mean there's an opening for Haggerty show me I'm underestimating him, and climb the depth chart for earlier call-up.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Haggerty, from I what I've seen and read, definitely has the ability to be a solid contributor on the third line. He has no professional experience though, so he'll almost certainly need some seasoning in the AHL. I guess there's a chance they could give him sheltered fourth line minutes, while letting him bomb away from the side boards on the PP....

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
With the spots open at forward, I'd expect they'll simply let guys like Kristo, Fast, and Haggerty fight it out in camp and preseason. Miller and Lindberg could have a battle as well. I'd like to see Duclair in on the action for a 9 game cup, but we'll see.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Nanne is the player who becomes a highly sought after free agent after his 3rd or 4th year of school. He attends school at 19 or 20. The Rangers decided to use a pick on him. That player is passed up in the draft and then develops into a good player in school. Top free college free agent.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
He definitely needs bake time in Hartford.
I can't agree with Zil that he could be called speedy at the pro level.
Good shot, instinctive scorer, but IMHO not quick or well-rounded yet.
ECAC was the one amateur league where I did see or watch many games.

I'd expect him to be behind not only Miller, Lindberg, Fast, but in the call-up rankings, also behind Hrivik, Bourque, Kristo and Yogan, pretty much dead-even with Nicholls as winger-with-size-and-skill behind Hrivik and Yogan, on the '14-15 call-up depth-chart.

After Miller, Lindberg, Fast, none of the other F prospects playing pro this year are clearly nearly NHL ready.
Which does mean there's an opening for Haggerty show me I'm underestimating him, and climb the depth chart for earlier call-up.

I think you're undervaluing Hrivik a bit. He has been looked at plenty of times with NYR when he was in training camp so don't be shocked to see him get a call-up instead of Kristo or Lindberg one of these days. Not saying that Kristo and Lindberg shouldn't be called up, but I think Hrivik has an equal chance of that. Same with Bourque for the 4th line.

Nanne is the player who becomes a highly sought after free agent after his 3rd or 4th year of school. He attends school at 19 or 20. The Rangers decided to use a pick on him. That player is passed up in the draft and then develops into a good player in school. Top free college free agent.

Completely agree. Liked the pick and how it is low risk, high reward.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I'd separate those guys into two different groups.

A) Andersson, Bodie, Nanne, Walcott and Zamorsky
B) Donnay, Graves, Hughes, and Noreau

The first set has potential to add offensive punch to the blue line. The second is more guys who'll be lower pairing, stay-at-home types if they make it. I'd also add Mantha to that second group.
I don't think it's a bad thing if some in your first group end up on a 3rd pairing with some in your second group. Like Nanne/Graves, Walcott/Noreau, etc. would be a home run if a few of these guys end up making it on whichever pair.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I don't think it's a bad thing if some in your first group end up on a 3rd pairing with some in your second group. Like Nanne/Graves, Walcott/Noreau, etc. would be a home run if a few of these guys end up making it on whichever pair.

If even one of them makes it as a third pair defenseman, someone similar to Moore (in value, not style), I will be very happy. We already have McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Moore, Klein, with Skjei and McIlrath coming up soon. With one lower prospect making it, that makes it 8 NHLers. We could trade two of them and still have a great top-6.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Beacon,

what would your scouting report on Hrivik be?

In 2011-12, he was great. Had he not been injured, he'd have gotten a chance to play for the Rangers immediately after the lockout ended. He's a good all-around player with good defense, decent speed and solid size. Hartford was a disaster this year and he was badly mismanaged by Kenny G, so he didn't produce offensively, but otherwise he wasn't bad. A bigger problem for him is that at his age he needs to improve. Next year will be make or break for him. If he improves, he'll contend for an NHL spot. If he fails to improve, he won't be a prospect as we'll all have to assume that he hit his plateau.

I also hope that Kenny G stops playing him on the third line. Let McCarthy start on the third line and see what he can do. Hrivik (and Bourque) should be on the left side in the top-6. Part of the reason he couldn't score is that he was faster than his linemates or just had no one to pass to or accept a pass from.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
In 2011-12, he was great. Had he not been injured, he'd have gotten a chance to play for the Rangers immediately after the lockout ended. He's a good all-around player with good defense, decent speed and solid size. Hartford was a disaster this year and he was badly mismanaged by Kenny G, so he didn't produce offensively, but otherwise he wasn't bad. A bigger problem for him is that at his age he needs to improve. Next year will be make or break for him. If he improves, he'll contend for an NHL spot. If he fails to improve, he won't be a prospect as we'll all have to assume that he hit his plateau.

I also hope that Kenny G stops playing him on the third line. Let McCarthy start on the third line and see what he can do. Hrivik (and Bourque) should be on the left side in the top-6. Part of the reason he couldn't score is that he was faster than his linemates or just had no one to pass to or accept a pass from.

Pretty much dead on.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Who wants to speculate where our 94 born prospects are going next year?

I say Tambellini and Nejezchleb turn pro, while Walcott goes back to the Q.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

This is interesting. I hadn't considered that Tambo could go pro. At one point we were thinking the only inbound rookie with even marginal NHL hopes that might play for the Pack next year would be Donnay. Then, they go out and sign a slew of high profile college free agents, they snag Zamorsky out of Europe, Tambellini salvages his year with a solid second half at Calgary and shows up to development camp significantly bulked up, and they draft two overagers. As of now, the following guys in the system played elsewhere, but are eligible to go to to the AHL:

McCarthy
Nejezchleb
Tambellini (19, but drafted out of the BCHL, so exempt from the CHL agreement)
Bodie
Zamorsky
Donnay
Walcott
Andersson

Skjei, Fogarty and Nieves would also be eligible, but have all - I believe - already committed to going back to school. Buchnevich would also be eligible, but has a year left on his KHL contract. The only other wild card is whether Duclair shows up to training camp and so wows the brass that he makes the NHL squad.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I would guess that Tambellini goes back to the Dub. Not sure about Nejezchleb, I haven't seen him yet.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Tambellini will do one more year with Calgary I would assume and Nejezchleb could go either way. I'd like to see Nejezchleb in Greenville maybe to start out if he can't play in the AHL just yet.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Tambellini will do one more year with Calgary I would assume and Nejezchleb could go either way. I'd like to see Nejezchleb in Greenville maybe to start out if he can't play in the AHL just yet.

I would prefer the ECHL over the WHL for Nej. It's a superior league. The top-end talent isn't as good, but it's more consistent in its lineup from line 1 to line 4, and he'd be learning to play against adults, not children. I generally believe that a player should only go back to the juniors if he cannot handle it against adults in the ECHL. This certainly applies here.

That said, I think he has a better than 50-50 chance of sticking in the AHL.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This is interesting. I hadn't considered that Tambo could go pro. At one point we were thinking the only inbound rookie with even marginal NHL hopes that might play for the Pack next year would be Donnay. Then, they go out and sign a slew of high profile college free agents, they snag Zamorsky out of Europe, Tambellini salvages his year with a solid second half at Calgary and shows up to development camp significantly bulked up, and they draft two overagers. As of now, the following guys in the system played elsewhere, but are eligible to go to to the AHL:

McCarthy
Nejezchleb
Tambellini (19, but drafted out of the BCHL, so exempt from the CHL agreement)
Bodie
Zamorsky
Donnay
Walcott
Andersson

Skjei, Fogarty and Nieves would also be eligible, but have all - I believe - already committed to going back to school. Buchnevich would also be eligible, but has a year left on his KHL contract. The only other wild card is whether Duclair shows up to training camp and so wows the brass that he makes the NHL squad.

McCarthy and Bodie are pros now--their NCAA eligibility is over and they're way too old to play in the CHL. It's either the ECHL or the AHL unless one of them manages to bag a spot on the big team. Andersson's agreement with the Rangers is that he plays for Zug in Switzerland next year. Zamorsky's that he plays for a Czech team if he doesn't make the Rangers. Gordie Clark has said that Walcott's going back to juniors for another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce