2014-2015 Prospect Scores

TheThrill81*

8.0B for Nylander

As per HF's rating system:

8. First-Line Forward/ No. 2 Defenseman / No. 1 Goaltender – players with definite skill that might be just a cut below elite status, but still possessing All-Star potential.

B – Should reach potential, could drop 1 rating - likely to reach potential, but may have a hole or two in his game that will keep him from reaching his full potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 90 percent for depth chart purposes, which indicates slightly less certainty about a player’s future performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I would give Nylander an 8.5C and Gauthier a 6.5B.

Edit: Upon further consideration, I think a 'D' was too harsh for Willie.

Last edited:

snizzbone*

Shouldn't be giving Nylander a B, especially an 8.5B.. that implies that at worst he will be a 1st line forward.

TheThrill81*

Shouldn't be giving Nylander a B, especially an 8.5B.. that implies that at worst he will be a 1st line forward.

It actually means...

B – Should reach potential, could drop 1 rating - likely to reach potential, but may have a hole or two in his game that will keep him from reaching his full potential.

snizzbone*

It actually means...

B – Should reach potential, could drop 1 rating - likely to reach potential, but may have a hole or two in his game that will keep him from reaching his full potential.

It means exactly what I said it means. 8.5B means he could drop 1 rating, which would be an 8.0 which is a 1st line forward based on HFs rating system.

TheThrill81*

It means exactly what I said it means. 8.5B means he could drop 1 rating, which would be an 8.0 which is a 1st line forward based on HFs rating system.

'Could drop 1 rating' means going from a B to a C. Not 8.5 to 8.0. The letter indicates the likelihood of the player realizing his potential. The number indicates what kind of class of player he'll be and his role on the team. I'm pretty sure Nylander is projected to be a top 6 forward, it's not unreasonable to believe with his skillset that he could be a 1st line forward.

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
I think Flow no mo is right Thrill or at least its my understanding that's why I have Willie as a 8.5 c which would mean his Nhl lower end imo is a average 2nd liner and his top end is between a 1st liner and a perennial all star

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
'Could drop 1 rating' means going from a B to a C. Not 8.5 to 8.0. The letter indicates the likelihood of the player realizing his potential. The number indicates what kind of class of player he'll be and his role on the team. I'm pretty sure Nylander is projected to be a top 6 forward, it's not unreasonable to believe with his skillset that he could be a 1st line forward.

I think you have it mixed up...

8.5B means that he could drop 1 ranking. If it meant the letter than he would drop to an 8.5C which is the same overall, lower chance of making it... C means he could drop another ranking which would bring him to 8.5D. So no changes even if he drops rankings? that doesn't make sense.

8.5B means he is very likely to become either an 8.5 or 8.0.
8.5C means he is very likely to become between 8.5-7.5.
etc.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009

8.5B means that he could drop 1 ranking. If it meant the letter than he would drop to an 8.5C which is the same overall, lower chance of making it... C means he could drop another ranking which would bring him to 8.5D. So no changes even if he drops rankings? that doesn't make sense.

etc.

I personally prefer my own rating system. Gautier is worth two goats and half a pheasant. Nylander is 3 oxen, 2 peacocks and the offspring of a pair of love birds.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I wouldnt put any weight into these little rankings. Nylander will be a special player for us and that is all I care.

True... It's just meant to be an easy way of comparing player's expected upside and probability of making it. Of course everybody will have varying opinions on the rankings though so it should be taken with a grain of salt.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Just my opinion.

1. William Nylander (8.5B)
  2. Matthew Finn (8.0B)
  3. Josh Leivo (7.5B)
  4. Stuart Percy (7.0B)
  5. Andreas Johnson (8.0C)
  6. Frederik Gauthier (7.0B)
  7. Tom Nilsson (7.0B)
  8. Petter Granberg (7.0B)
  9. Rinat Valiev (7.5C)
  10. Connor Brown (7.5C)
  11. Carter Verhaeghe (7.0C)
  12. Antoine Bibeau (7.0C)
  13. Fabrice Herzog (7.0C)
  14. Dominic Toninato (7.0C)
  15. Sam Carrick (6.0B)
  16. Carter Ashton (6.0B)
  17. Andrew MacWilliam (6.0B)
  18. Pierre Engvall (7.0C)
  19. Christopher Gibson (6.5C)
  20. Greg McKegg (6.5C)
  21. David Broll (6.0C)
  22. Viktor Loov (6.0C)
  23. Garret Sparks (6.0C)
  24. John Piccinich (6.0C)
  25. Dakota Joshua (6.0C)
  26. Tyler Biggs (5.5B)
  27. Tony Cameranesi (5.5C)
  28. Jamie Devane (5.0C)
  29. Brad Ross (5.5C)
  30. Brandon Kozun (6.0D)
  31. Ryan Rupert (5.0C)
  32. Eric Knodel (5.0C)
  33. Nolan Vesey (5.0C)
  34. Kenny Ryan (5.0C)
  35. Max Everson (3.5B)

Source for grading: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/playerprojections/

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Finn is not an 8.0B
Nylander shouldn't be a B, he has a pretty high boom/bust chance.
Johnson is not an 8.0C
Valiev is pbly too high also
Biggs should be higher
Percy has more upside then Nilsson

And you guys are killing me for forgetting Herzog on like every list inclusding The Top Leafs Prospects thread.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
Bibeau 7.5D
Sparks 7.0D
Gibson 6.0D

Finn 7.5C
Percy 7.0C
Nilsson 7.0D
Granberg 6.5B
Valiev 6.5C
Loov 6.5C
Knodel 6.5D
MacWilliam 5.5B
Everson 5.0D

Nylander 8.5C
Brown 8.0D
Johnson 8.0D
Leivo 7.5C
Verhaeghe 7.5C
Gauthier 7.0C
McKegg 6.5C
Carrick 6.5C
Toninato 6.5C
Piccinich 6.5C
Joshua 6.5D
Vesey 6.5D
Engvall 6.5D
Cameranesi 6.5D
Herzog 6.5D
Biggs 6.5D
Ashton 6.0B
Rupert 6.0C
Ross 6.0D
Devane 5.5C

TheThrill81*

I didn't say the number wouldn't change. I'm saying 'could drop 1 ranking' specifically refers to the letter, not the number. Those are HF's words, not mine.

etc.

8.5B means that he's just below elite talent (i.e. < 9) and that he 'should reach his potential, but could drop 1 rating' (i.e. Go from B to C).
8.5C means that he's just below elite talent (i.e. < 9) and that he 'may reach his potential, but could drop 2 ratings' (i.e. go from C to F).

There's a reason why which class of player they're projected to be and the probability of realizing their potential are assigned two different ratings. Just because they're a highly touted talent does not necessarily mean they will fulfill their true potential. Which is why it's possible for a player to go from 8.5C to 8.5F, for example. It basically means they have the talent, but due to various factors they've been unable to realize their potential. Now it's also possible for them go from 8.5 to 8.0, but the number rating itself gives no indication that it will drop or rise in the future. On the other hand, the letter grade specifically states the likelihood of their ranking (letter grade) being changed later on.

Last edited by a moderator:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I didn't say the number wouldn't change. I'm saying 'could drop 1 ranking' specifically refers to the letter, not the number. Those are HF's words, not mine.

8.5B means that he's just below elite talent (i.e. < 9) and that he 'should reach his potential, but could drop 1 rating' (i.e. Go from B to C).

8.5C means that he's just below elite talent (i.e. < 9) and that he 'may reach his potential, but could drop 2 ratings' (i.e. go from B to D).

You realize this makes no sense right? You are saying that 8.5B means he could drop 1 ranking to 8.5C, which in turn means he could drop 2 rankings.

8.5B means he may drop to a 8-7.5

8.5C means he may drop to 7.5-6.5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad