2014-2015 General Wild Discussion Thread II (MOD WARNING POST #645)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Speaking of that, I was at the game, so I didn't hear. What happened to Granny and Brodin? I had noticed Brodin was missing, but never actually noticed that Granlund was out..

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Speaking of that, I was at the game, so I didn't hear. What happened to Granny and Brodin? I had noticed Brodin was missing, but never actually noticed that Granlund was out..

Buff is a cheap ***** that absolutely rode Granlund into the wall. Flipped him and he landed on his wrist really poorly. Granny's face was as red as a tomato, seems like he broke it. Tough son of a bit** to stay in the game if true. Didn't take any faceoffs, but kept playing.

I have no idea what happened to Brodin. I know he got hurt when he lost balance and was checked going into the boards, but he hit his shoulders on the board, didn't look like he hit his head. Maybe a dislocated shoulder or something?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Buff is a cheap ***** that absolutely rode Granlund into the wall. Flipped him and he landed on his wrist really poorly. Granny's face was as red as a tomato, seems like he broke it. Tough son of a bit** to stay in the game if true. Didn't take any faceoffs, but kept playing.

I have no idea what happened to Brodin. I know he got hurt when he lost balance and was checked going into the boards, but he hit his shoulders on the board, didn't look like he hit his head. Maybe a dislocated shoulder or something?

Thanks.

I definitely saw the hit, but didn't notice if he left right after that. At least it doesn't seem like a concussion for either of them then?

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND

I really would have liked to see someone go after the big dumbass after that. The Wild have their chance on Monday.

Slick Willy*

The Wild have never been a tough team. Ever. Not really even during the Boogaard or Matt Johnson days.

This team though these days is about as soft as there is in the NHL.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The Wild have never been a tough team. Ever. Not really even during the Boogaard or Matt Johnson days.

This team though these days is about as soft as there is in the NHL.

Last in the NHL in hits..

I'd really love to see a non-fighter get into a fight one of the next few games. Maybe Koivu or Parise even. Seems pretty dumb, but this team needs to be ignited somehow.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Thanks.

I definitely saw the hit, but didn't notice if he left right after that. At least it doesn't seem like a concussion for either of them then?

Granny was on the bench for about 3 minutes and then actually came back out and assisted on the tying goal. Didn't come out for OT though from what I saw.

I don't believe it's a concussion in Brodin's case. Didn't really have a good angle of the hit, but seemed like it was shoulder contact. Just hope it isn't collarbone related because he had an issue with a broken collarbone early in his career I think (pre-NHL).

I really would have liked to see someone go after the big dumbass after that. The Wild have their chance on Monday.

The problem is that they even up teams when players stick up for their teammates. Bickel wanted to, but he was smart enough to not take the penalty. Would have loved to see him knock that buffoon on his ass.

Slick Willy*

Well we did get rid of league leader (or top 5 at least) in hits Clutterbuck for Neidereiter. But even Clutter was a bit gutless when it came to throwing down.

The franchise has never really played with any nastiness or edge; no chip on its shoulder.

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
:laugh:

No way, but if you throw him out there to run around after a hit like the Byfuglin one you make a statement.

Lol, i guess that was stupid to say on my part but you do have a good point. Good big hits can kickstart a team and does prevent many cheap shots from the opponents. we haven't seen a big hitter since Clutterbuck, and I think he did spark plug the team and crowd a lot.

Billy Mays Here*

This is why I'm always jealous of teams with big forwards, especially Anaheim. Their two best players are both huge powerful forwards that can do virtually everything on the ice.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
This is why I'm always jealous of teams with big forwards, especially Anaheim. Their two best players are both huge powerful forwards that can do virtually everything on the ice.

Which is why I think there is such a love affair with Coyle. This team needs a good size and great player forward.

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
So torn right now...I don't think they'll make the playoffs but I don't see how missing is an option when you know they'll just get 10thpick again.

But maybe this's the yr, if they don't fix goaltending and brodin/granlund miss lots of time, and the mumps thing, perhaps it's destiny that they spiral into Mcdavid/Eichel territory. I mean, that would be a franchise changing centerman...

Yikes, fantasizing about losing for first time since before suter/parise. They gotta turn it around

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND

Which is why I think there is such a love affair with Coyle. This team needs a good size and great player forward.

IMO when it comes to drafting in the future the Wild shouldn't mess with smallish players. Enough is enough. If we could have 3 more guys like El Nino we'd be set.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014

Going into last years last draft I was hoping we'd pick Alex Tuch, he's the kind of guy I've always wanted on this team (besides a generational talent which we can't have) he's big, talented, and he's got a mean streak. Now we just have to find a big skilled physical Center to complement him and we'll have our own dynamic duo.

Billy Mays Here*

So our centers consist of:

An overpaid veteran who gets kicked out of half his face-off attempts, always passes instead of shooting in prime opportunities, and very rarely plays to the potential we've seen him show when he gets angry.

A small, fragile, skilled puck-handler who has concussion problems and is easily knocked off the puck when the opponents play the body. He has some potential but not good 1st line center potential.

Another small, streaky, but fast skater who doesn't seem to have all that high of a ceiling even if he improves.

A decently physical and okay defensively 3rd/4th line center who can't cash in on a scoring opportunity to save his life and seems to try as hard as he can to screw up each one he gets.

A solid 4th line center but one that seems to take far too many penalties.

Go ahead, fix the goal-tending, shore up the defensive 3rd pairing, hell, go and get a new coach while you're at it. But does anyone here honestly believe that we'll ever get to the promised land with this group of centers? It may not be the one of the team's main problems right now but you all know it's going to become a priority at some point. If we're going to miss the playoffs this season (not saying we are, but if) God dammit what I wouldn't give to see this team suck enough to get a McDavid or an Eichel.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
So torn right now...I don't think they'll make the playoffs but I don't see how missing is an option when you know they'll just get 10thpick again.

But maybe this's the yr, if they don't fix goaltending and brodin/granlund miss lots of time, and the mumps thing, perhaps it's destiny that they spiral into Mcdavid/Eichel territory. I mean, that would be a franchise changing centerman...

Yikes, fantasizing about losing for first time since before suter/parise. They gotta turn it around

Wild have only picked in the top 5 twice in franchise history
2000- Gaborik #3
2005- Pouliout. #5

Historically very average. Never great, never terrible.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I guess the luck got wasted on goalies last year. Still not giving up until it's mathmatically possible. Why does Russo keep using plus/minus when the goalies have been awful?

Also anyone else hoping they call up Graovac.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I'm against moving big assets this year to try and save anything. I just don't think it's worth it. Roll your normal tandem, maybe make a smallish trade for another crappy vet dman, and ride out the season. Hopefully get a decent pick, fix goaltending in the offseason, start fresh next season. I would keep Yeo as well unless some great coach comes along, but it seems like the Wild have an aversion to signing experienced guys after the Lemaire era anyways.

I have zero confidence in this group, and IMO it'd be a shame to throw away youth / picks when this team is rotting

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
So our centers consist of:

An overpaid veteran who gets kicked out of half his face-off attempts, always passes instead of shooting in prime opportunities, and very rarely plays to the potential we've seen him show when he gets angry.

A small, fragile, skilled puck-handler who has concussion problems and is easily knocked off the puck when the opponents play the body. He has some potential but not good 1st line center potential.

Another small, streaky, but fast skater who doesn't seem to have all that high of a ceiling even if he improves.

A decently physical and okay defensively 3rd/4th line center who can't cash in on a scoring opportunity to save his life and seems to try as hard as he can to screw up each one he gets.

A solid 4th line center but one that seems to take far too many penalties.

Go ahead, fix the goal-tending, shore up the defensive 3rd pairing, hell, go and get a new coach while you're at it. But does anyone here honestly believe that we'll ever get to the promised land with this group of centers? It may not be the one of the team's main problems right now but you all know it's going to become a priority at some point. If we're going to miss the playoffs this season (not saying we are, but if) God dammit what I wouldn't give to see this team suck enough to get a McDavid or an Eichel.

I have to agree. Having an elite C is a massive boost. I thought our lineup depth would cover our lack of a #1C but it hasn't happened. We need someone who can consistently put up points, we have a lot of streaky players. Parise is arguably our best offensive player he's not really an offense creator, he's an elite finisher. I think we all had really high hopes for Granlund to be that guy going forward, but he's taken a step back.

Antsman41

Quack, Quack, Quack!
Aug 12, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I have to agree. Having an elite C is a massive boost. I thought our lineup depth would cover our lack of a #1C but it hasn't happened. We need someone who can consistently put up points, we have a lot of streaky players. Parise is arguably our best offensive player he's not really an offense creator, he's an elite finisher. I think we all had really high hopes for Granlund to be that guy going forward, but he's taken a step back.

:handclap:

I really wish we picked up Trotz as coach a few years back... especially after TRTTWC. Anyone know why Leopold was trying to steal him or what-have-you. I fully don't remember who all we we're trying to tap before the Richard debacle and no Yeo, it's been too many years

Antsman41

Quack, Quack, Quack!
Aug 12, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm against moving big assets this year to try and save anything. I just don't think it's worth it. Roll your normal tandem, maybe make a smallish trade for another crappy vet dman, and ride out the season. Hopefully get a decent pick, fix goaltending in the offseason, start fresh next season. I would keep Yeo as well unless some great coach comes along, but it seems like the Wild have an aversion to signing experienced guys after the Lemaire era anyways.

I have zero confidence in this group, and IMO it'd be a shame to throw away youth / picks when this team is rotting

How are we going to fix goaltending this offseason.

They were supposed to do that the last 3 if not the last 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad