2014-2015 CIS Recruits Thread

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yeah. I should have added that.

I think we had three players back out last Summer because of pro offers.

And of course having the roster cap makes it even more tricky...before you could recruit a guy who might go pro and if he shows up great, but if not you could recruit enough depth to cover it. I think teams are going to have to be more picky now, I don't know if you want to bank on a guy/have a guy penciled into one of your spots at this time of year and possibly pass on someone else if the original recruit has a decent chance of going pro....unless you think you can still land a quality guy last minute.

Having said that, I think Trainor will get an invite somewhere but will ultimately be at UNB for the start of the year.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
And of course having the roster cap makes it even more tricky...before you could recruit a guy who might go pro and if he shows up great, but if not you could recruit enough depth to cover it. I think teams are going to have to be more picky now, I don't know if you want to bank on a guy/have a guy penciled into one of your spots at this time of year and possibly pass on someone else if the original recruit has a decent chance of going pro....unless you think you can still land a quality guy last minute.

That's what happened with Labardo, Duffy and Halley (to some degree). You get JP for depth because the others don't show - then they both change their minds - Halley called first and got the last spot leaving Duffy to wait and JP leaves.

VincentD

May 13, 2011
Simon Tardif-Richard (Gatineau, QMJHL) commits to McGill.

He made the annoucement on twitter :

"@S_TRichard 10 min

Proud to announce that I'll be joining the McGill Redmen team next year! Finally been accepted in the business program #McGill #University"

HockeySchools

May 17, 2012
Hearing Ben Duffy, who red-shirted with UNB last season, has decided to leave UNB and play for SMU this season.

CIS Supporter

Mar 24, 2014
Yes heard the same about Duffy. Also heard some other young guys are leaving as well. Will Duffy need to sit out a year from when he played last/2nd exhibition game for UNB this year?

HockeySchools

May 17, 2012
Can play right away because he sat out last year and wasn't "officially" on UNB roster. Other players rumoured to be leaving town are Cutting, MacLise, Thomas.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I can confirm that Duffy is "committed" to SMU. He was also "committed" to Acadia a year ago, so we'll have to wait an see how this plays out. You won't be hearing anything from SMU until it is a done deal. As pointed out above, some other players are thinking about leaving UNB as well.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Unb

I can confirm that Duffy is "committed" to SMU. He was also "committed" to Acadia a year ago, so we'll have to wait an see how this plays out. You won't be hearing anything from SMU until it is a done deal. As pointed out above, some other players are thinking about leaving UNB as well.
As far as UNB goes, Sparks has also moved on or been moved out?
It's not as if UNB was sitting players, the roster cap all but eliminated that.
So what's the problem?
Maclise saw limited action towards playoffs, but thaf's the norm with a rookie playing on a stacked team.
There is also talk of a transfer player coming to the V-Reds via another AUS team? Just can't confirm who he is or what AUS team he is coming from.

CIS Supporter

Mar 24, 2014
I think Cutting, if indeed this is true and he is leaving, is the biggest loss of the three mentioned. He looked tough and mean to play against and is a rock on the back end.

Maclise didn't seem to fit, despite getting a lot of chances early in the year in lots of different roles.

Seems like Duffy had talent but not the work ethic required. At least that is what I read on here before he went to UNB - "If Duffy commits it may be a big mistake for him. He has talent for sure, but does not have the "work ethic" demanded by Gardiner. I'm not knocking Ben; just stating the obvious. There is a very good reason that he didn`t get a peek in his draft year. He may end up charting face-offs. Plus, he`ll be playing behind Culligan and perhaps Braes as a center. I can`t see him playing the wing because of the work ethic thingy. He`s just not physical. I would sooner see him at Acadia where he could be a top center on a team that is `a bit less demanding" - so I guess SMU doesn't demand as much or he perceives they don't. Hope he thrives at SMU.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I think Cutting, if indeed this is true and he is leaving, is the biggest loss of the three mentioned. He looked tough and mean to play against and is a rock on the back end.

Maclise didn't seem to fit, despite getting a lot of chances early in the year in lots of different roles.

Seems like Duffy had talent but not the work ethic required. At least that is what I read on here before he went to UNB - "If Duffy commits it may be a big mistake for him. He has talent for sure, but does not have the "work ethic" demanded by Gardiner. I'm not knocking Ben; just stating the obvious. There is a very good reason that he didn`t get a peek in his draft year. He may end up charting face-offs. Plus, he`ll be playing behind Culligan and perhaps Braes as a center. I can`t see him playing the wing because of the work ethic thingy. He`s just not physical. I would sooner see him at Acadia where he could be a top center on a team that is `a bit less demanding" - so I guess SMU doesn't demand as much or he perceives they don't. Hope he thrives at SMU.

Any truth to Steiny stepping away?
This came from 2 SMU supporters ( alumni) this week and not to be mixed up with him stepping away during the first half of 2013-14.
I find it hard to believe with hosting Nationals in 2 years time.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
As far as UNB goes, Sparks has also moved on or been moved out?
It's not as if UNB was sitting players, the roster cap all but eliminated that.
So what's the problem?

It's strange...in the last few years we have seen a number of guys leave UNB well before playing their 4 years...guys like Wiebe/Wudrick/Houde-Caron (although that appeared to be academic related based on everything I've seen)...and now possibly a couple more this year. I don't ever remember this many guys leaving early for other opportunities.

Interesting about Duffy...I don't really like to speculate, but I can't really see him leaving because of hockey reasons as he would have most likely been on the top line (or the 2nd line at the very least) and got a ton of PP time on a top team in the country. Personnel/personal/academic/financial reasons?

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
It's strange...in the last few years we have seen a number of guys leave UNB well before playing their 4 years...guys like Wiebe/Wudrick/Houde-Caron (although that appeared to be academic related based on everything I've seen)...and now possibly a couple more this year. I don't ever remember this many guys leaving early for other opportunities.

Interesting about Duffy...I don't really like to speculate, but I can't really see him leaving because of hockey reasons as he would have most likely been on the top line (or the 2nd line at the very least) and got a ton of PP time on a top team in the country. Personnel/personal/academic/financial reasons?

Unless players are determined to fulfill their professional dreams through the CIS by the time players reach the university level they are growing weary of the regimented, strict discipline scenario they've been playing throughout their junior careers. Gardner has a national reputation of being an ogre to play for and some players just tire of the incessant demands and regimentation of their lives. It's easier for freshmen just out of junior or minor pro because they still relate strongly to the junior hockey lifestyle but after a year or two of being able to think for themselves on all things outside of the rink some realize it's not what they want and move on.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Hearing now that Alex Wall (D - UPEI) will be enrolling at UNB to do a graduate degree.

He would certainly be a nice pick-up. Looks as if he has 2 years of eligibility remaining as well (although I assume he plans to move on after this upcoming year).

Hey, what's Chris Owens doing next year? I believe he has graduated from Acadia...any chance they could snag him?? hahah wishful thinking I know.

Is Mignardi still in the fold for UNB this year?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Unless players are determined to fulfill their professional dreams through the CIS by the time players reach the university level they are growing weary of the regimented, strict discipline scenario they've been playing throughout their junior careers. Gardner has a national reputation of being an ogre to play for and some players just tire of the incessant demands and regimentation of their lives. It's easier for freshmen just out of junior or minor pro because they still relate strongly to the junior hockey lifestyle but after a year or two of being able to think for themselves on all things outside of the rink some realize it's not what they want and move on.

I'm guessing you're right. Duffy probably just didn't like what he saw from Gardner in the dressing room.
I'm sure the truth will come out eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad