2014-2015 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I'm writing an articles about the Habs prospects, how do these comparisons sound for the following guys?

Bourque - Gorges (Medium)
Bozon - MacArthur (Very low)
Vejdemo - Wennberg (Medium)
Dietz - Oduya (Low)
Carr - Tlusty (Low)
Lehkonen - Gallagher (Low)
Fucale - Crawford (Low)
Lernout - Quincey (Medium)
Condon - Dubnyk (Low)
Gregoire - Bergeron-lite (high)
Andrighetto - Versteeg (low)
Tinordi - Gill (medium)
Reway - Datsyuk (very low)
Juulsen - Bieksa (medium)
Hudon - M. Perreault (high)
McCarron - K. Primeau (medium)
Scherbak - Voracek (medium)

Keep in mind this is the type of impact I expect them to have and in terms of style/role.

-Lernout look way more like McQuaid than Quincey IMO.
-Juulsen is not physical like Bieksa, he's playing more the game like Hamhuis.
-Reway like Pavel?????? more like Filatov......
-Fucale is more like Jonas Enroth to me.
-Andrighetto remind me more of Tyler Ennis
-Bozon is a floater like Michael Ryder.
-Dietz doesn't control the puck and doesn't have the speed of Oduya and Dietz is way more physical. Think more of Barrett Jackman.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Would it be better? It couldn't hurt. Is it a big deal? Nah.

The most talented among us are often these enfant terrible types. I'd rather have a few of them than a dozen plumbers.

This is true by the way. The best architects in my studio were the slackers. And judging some 20 year old kid for taking a summer with his friends to have fun instead of going to a silly camp in July is so Canadian and Scottish uptight. Probably do him better being there than here. The kid has played lots of hockey and he likes to be near his family and friends. I think that is a good thing.

Everyone chill the **** out. :)

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
-Lernout look way more like McQuaid than Quincey IMO.
-Juulsen is not physical like Bieksa, he's playing more the game like Hamhuis.
-Reway like Pavel?????? more like Filatov......
-Fucale is more like Jonas Enroth to me.
-Andrighetto remind me more of Tyler Ennis
-Bozon is a floater like Michael Ryder.
-Dietz doesn't control the puck and doesn't have the speed of Oduya and Dietz is way more physical. Think more of Barrett Jackman.

Lernout has much better mobility than McQuaid and he's got some untapped offensive potential unlike the latter. McQuaid never topped more than 31 pts and that was in a more offensive league than the Dub.

Reway has unreal hands and vision, which explains the Datsyuk comparison. I don't expect him to reach that potential but it's still a possibility, albeit a small one.

I can agree with the Ryder/Bozon comparaison.

I don't see the Enroth Fucale one. Juulsen himself compared his game to Bieksa. Once he gains mass, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes more physical.

Versteeg or Ennis, not a whole lot different. And Dietz has good puck skills and good mobility. Although you could be right on him being closer to a Jackman type.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I'm writing an articles about the Habs prospects, how do these comparisons sound for the following guys?

Bourque - Gorges (Medium)
Bozon - MacArthur (Very low)
Vejdemo - Wennberg (Medium)
Dietz - Oduya (Low)
Carr - Tlusty (Low)
Lehkonen - Gallagher (Low)
Fucale - Crawford (Low)
Lernout - Quincey (Medium)
Condon - Dubnyk (Low)
Gregoire - Bergeron-lite (high)
Andrighetto - Versteeg (low)
Tinordi - Gill (medium)
Reway - Datsyuk (very low)
Juulsen - Bieksa (medium)
Hudon - M. Perreault (high)
McCarron - K. Primeau (medium)
Scherbak - Voracek (medium)

Keep in mind this is the type of impact I expect them to have and in terms of style/role.

Reway will never be a selke candidate. I think he's more like a Patrick Kane light or even a Sergei Kostitsyn.

I don't think Quincey has quite the same mean streak as Lernout but I believe too that he has better potential than becoming a McQuaid. Souray light?

I always thought Dietz was going to be a bit like a lesser Bieksa.

I think Hudon can be better than Perreault. I think he could be a Plekanec.

I don't think Lehkonen is quite as intense as Gallagher and he has a better vision and a better wrist shot. Andrew Shaw maybe?

And I agree that Bozon is probably more like Ryder than McArthur.

NewHabsEra*

Reway will never be a selke candidate. I think he's more like a Patrick Kane light or even a Sergei Kostitsyn.

I always thought Dietz was going to be a bit like a lesser Bieksa.

Dietz looks alot like Cody Franson IMO

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
Thanks for the reports and your observations everyone. Interesting read for those of us who can't attend. Don't let negative comments stop you, there's a lot more of us that appreciate it than don't.

Sad to hear about Lehkonen, he stood out to me the last two WJC he played (was it two?). I think he shines when things get physical, because he doesn't back down and always heads to net anyways. Maybe the rookie tournament will be his place to shine.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Very disappointed to hear the reports on Bennett.

I remember years ago I went (and it's been a damn long time), must've been his first camp, and found Bennett to be super interesting. His skating was so fluid and had some offensive punch.

What the hell happened to him?

Bennett isn't a guy that will stand out in terms of being flashy. He's a guy that makes smart decisions with and without the puck. His main tools are mobility and hockey sense. You can have him to the next 10 development camps and he still won't stand out.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Bennett isn't a guy that will stand out in terms of being flashy. He's a guy that makes smart decisions with and without the puck. His main tools are mobility and hockey sense. You can have him to the next 10 development camps and he still won't stand out.
Petry stands out in a hockey game.. and those two things are his strength.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Petry stands out in a hockey game.. and those two things are his strength.

Petry wasn't a guy most Habs fans were screaming for before he arrived. It took 2-3 months for fans to fully appreciate him.

Plus, on most teams, Petry is a #2 d-man, even a #1 on a certain number of teams. I don't see Bennett ever reaching that level in the NHL. He'll be more of a steady #4-5 guy like Gilbert.

Bergevillain

Aug 1, 2014
London, ON
Petry wasn't a guy most Habs fans were screaming for before he arrived. It took 2-3 months for fans to fully appreciate him.

Plus, on most teams, Petry is a #2 d-man, even a #1 on a certain number of teams. I don't see Bennett ever reaching that level in the NHL. He'll be more of a steady #4-5 guy like Gilbert.

I seem to remember a lot of posters on here really hoping that we would go after Petry during the seasons whenever rumblings of him being on the block would surface.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
To be fair to Lehkonen he was around the puck a ton which is a great attribute. Very involved.

As for Bennett and perhaps Dietz too I think they may be a bit undersized - but they probably both have their eyes on rookie camp more than this development camp.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Lots of people here had him on the wish list for deadline and loved the trade. In fact, if you look at his trade thread people wanted him re-signed after his first game.

There were some who weren't willing to give him 5-6M until after the Habs did it though... ;)

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
To be fair to Lehkonen he was around the puck a ton which is a great attribute. Very involved.

As for Bennett and perhaps Dietz too I think they may be a bit undersized - but they probably both have their eyes on rookie camp more than this development camp.

Dietz undersized ? Hum, isn't he 6'1 6'2 and about 205 ? I haven't seen him a lot in the AHL cause they charged way too much, IMO, for AHL hockey (wonder if it'll be the same in St. John's), but I remember him being pretty steady, if a bit unspectacular, but also being physical and not afraid to drop the gloves. I just wonder if he wanted to go easy on the guys or if he was bored or something... cause if I'm not mistaken, he was better in his 2nd season in the AHL, right ?

As for Bennett, never had too much expectations for the guy, never really have with NCAA or USHL (unless a 1st or 2nd rounder), so if one comes out and develops, fine ! But, still a bit disappointing, considering our depth at LHD...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Thanks for the reports and your observations everyone. Interesting read for those of us who can't attend. Don't let negative comments stop you, there's a lot more of us that appreciate it than don't.

Sad to hear about Lehkonen, he stood out to me the last two WJC he played (was it two?). I think he shines when things get physical, because he doesn't back down and always heads to net anyways. Maybe the rookie tournament will be his place to shine.

Probably. At one point, he will be expecting to shine a lot 'cause he's been playing with a much more tougher opposition than he's facing now.

Having said that...it's also possible that he shines when he is paired with much better players. That can happen too.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Dietz is not undersized. 6'1 205 and still growing.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Dietz is not undersized. 6'1 205 and still growing.

Horizontally apparently! What's with the gut? Didn't stop Emelin... so maybe that's just how he's built. He was so good in the habs training camp last season. We'll see if he can repeat.

Locks

May 28, 2005
I wouldn't give up on Lehkonen - way too soon. From what I saw, he is a complementary player on a line who brings good finishing ability and solid all around game. He does not have the dynamic skills and vision of a Ghetto/Hudon to be a catalyst and drive the play. Hence, he HAS to play with a player of that kind to be at his best and that was the case at WJC14 when he had Terovainen there. Last WJC, his line was completely disjointed for a lack of such a player and due to Kapanen doing his best imitation of Samsonov endlessly stickhandling around the perimeter.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Was that Scherbak staping on a knee brace? When did he injure is knee? What that the reason he didn't take part in the rookie camp games? A brace like that is usually for ACL tear and you don't usually need a brace for no stop and go sport like Rowing...

Yes.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Whitesnake...great work yet again this year. :nod:

Harry K. Thanks for your write ups as well. :handclap:

As a Finnish-Canadian the Lehkonen news is extra disappointing.

The Lernout news is a great counter-weight though.

Someone to crush Leafs down the road.

Question, gents:

What year do you see Lernout wearing a Habs jersey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad