Speculation: 2014-2015 Back-up goalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why not Chad Johnson? I don't think he has starter potential but has been very solid for the B's when needed this year. He is suppose to be a great locker room guy and best of all he would be coming home.
I'm really not keen on the idea of bringing in someone that won't even challenge Ramo for the starter job.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm really not keen on the idea of bringing in someone that won't even challenge Ramo for the starter job.

I feel that Ortio will be serving that role in our organization. If he is absolutely destroying it on the Heat, I do not think that there will be any hesitation whatsoever to call him up if Ramo is struggling. Burke realizes his potential and that is why he wants him starting.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I feel that Ortio will be serving that role in our organization. If he is absolutely destroying it on the Heat, I do not think that there will be any hesitation whatsoever to call him up if Ramo is struggling. Burke realizes his potential and that is why he wants him starting.

This was my thinking as well and unlike a guy like Hiller, Johnson could be much more comfortable being the backup guy and not getting a ton of starts.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This was my thinking as well and unlike a guy like Hiller, Johnson could be much more comfortable being the backup guy and not getting a ton of starts.
That's why I think Reimer will be a Flame at the draft, he's going to push Ramo and try to win the job, but if he doesn't he's a good teammate and works hard. He's also able to step in and carry the load if Ramo isn't as good next year as he was in the second half of this year.

TheClassicK*

That's why I think Reimer will be a Flame at the draft, he's going to push Ramo and try to win the job, but if he doesn't he's a good teammate and works hard. He's also able to step in and carry the load if Ramo isn't as good next year as he was in the second half of this year.

That's what I'd like to see. Toronto's asking price might be ridiculous but it helps that Burke has ties there.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's what I'd like to see. Toronto's asking price might be ridiculous but it helps that Burke has ties there.
I don't think it will be ridiculous at all.

• Bernier was picked up for Frattin, Scrivens (he was seen as scraps back then) and a 2nd.
  • Scrivens after showed he was good was traded for a 3rd.
  • Fasth after a strong year was dealt for a 3rd and 5th.

I don't see Reimer being worth as much as Bernier who was widely believed to be a buried starter in LA and one of the best young goalies in the league.

His value would be about that of Scrivens and Fasth IMO. My prediction is the Pens 3rd for Reimer.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

• Bernier was picked up for Frattin, Scrivens (he was seen as scraps back then) and a 2nd.

I don't see Reimer being worth as much as Bernier who was widely believed to be a buried starter in LA and one of the best young goalies in the league.

His value would be about that of Scrivens and Fasth IMO. My prediction is the Pens 3rd for Reimer.

I could live with a 3rd, even though I'm not overly eager to spend any assets on getting a backup when you can sign one for free. My first choice would be try and move Cundari and Hanowski for Reimer if that indeed does happen.

TheClassicK*

I don't think you could determine his value based on what other goalies were traded for. You could also say Berra yielded a 2nd-rounder and at the time he hasn't been playing consistently.

Toronto will surely be setting their own asking price, considering the fact that although he wasn't great this season, he's been their best goalie for the seasons leading up to their long-waited playoff appearance.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
Perfect scenario. Dubnyk will become our backup and then play his way to starter and then he will shine and win the Vezina :yo:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'd easily trade a 3rd for reimer. Nothing wrong with having a solid backup who can play 20+ games. He's also young, hasn't even come close to peaking IMO. I imagine the price would be higher though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think you could determine his value based on what other goalies were traded for. You could also say Berra yielded a 2nd-rounder and at the time he hasn't been playing consistently.

Toronto will surely be setting their own asking price, considering the fact that although he wasn't great this season, he's been their best goalie for the seasons leading up to their long-waited playoff appearance.
:laugh: You are hilarious. The market for that calibre goaltender has been set. It's not going to vary much off that, especially if Reimer doesn't want to sign in Toronto.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd easily trade a 3rd for reimer. Nothing wrong with having a solid backup who can play 20+ games. He's also young, hasn't even come close to peaking IMO. I imagine the price would be higher though.

I'd likely pay a 3rd, but nothing more. We're a rebuilding team, and spending quality futures on a backup goalie doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If Ramo didn't play the way he did down the stretch, I'd be having a different tone.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd likely pay a 3rd, but nothing more. We're a rebuilding team, and spending quality futures on a backup goalie doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If Ramo didn't play the way he did down the stretch, I'd be having a different tone.
Agreed. But my different tone would be Burkie sign Hiller or Miller right frickin now!

TheClassicK*

:laugh: You are hilarious. The market for that calibre goaltender has been set. It's not going to vary much off that, especially if Reimer doesn't want to sign in Toronto.

Okay genius, there's obviously inconsistencies in the trade values of goaltenders but you decide to use a few of them to determine the market of the whole? Just pointing out but you seem to say things that have a limited sense to it - like comparing Jankowski to Hayes when their ice-times differed by a mile, putting no expectations on rookies to perform to their abilities, and now this. You can't just filter and limit your thoughts so that it'll work out the way you hope, it doesn't work like that. Yeah, Reimer might only yield a 3rd-rounder but if you think Toronto will initially ask a 3rd-rounder for him, I think you're horribly mistaken. It's what you pretty much said too, you said Toronto's asking price won't be ridiculous at all.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Okay genius, there's obviously inconsistencies in the trade values of goaltenders but you decide to use a few of them to determine the market of the whole? Just pointing out but you seem to say things that have a limited sense to it - like comparing Jankowski to Hayes when their ice-times differed by a mile, putting no expectations on rookies to perform to their abilities, and now this. You can't just filter and limit your thoughts so that it'll work out the way you hope, it doesn't work like that. Yeah, Reimer might only yield a 3rd-rounder but if you think Toronto will initially ask a 3rd-rounder for him, I think you're horribly mistaken. It's what you pretty much said too, you said Toronto's asking price won't be ridiculous at all.
The goaltending market has been bad for years, it's suddenly going to change because the Leafs are dealing Reimer? Yeah..... ok

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The goaltending market has been bad for years, it's suddenly going to change because the Leafs are dealing Reimer? Yeah..... ok

The thing it hinges on is whether Toronto wants to get rid of Reimer, or if they are simply willing to part with him. There are basically two kinds of valuations to compare each of these cases to.

If Toronto wants to get rid of Reimer, then all of your examples are perfectly valid; However, if they would be happy to keep him, then you have to look at other prices, like Berra for a second.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Whatever happens I just don't want emery on this team. Guy is a world class loser, keep his POS attitude away from this young team.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
We have all the goalies we need. Just resign the ones we have.
Let's see what we have in Ramo this year. If he can't live up to being a starter, we get a good consolation prize. ;)
I wouldn't mind upgrading our D though.....and would much rather get Gardiner over Reimer.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Signing Hiller is the idea I like the best, out of all the suggestions I have read.

Considering Ramo is making 2.75 million; and will be the starter on opening night, I don't see Calgary going the Hiller route honestly since he'll cost quite a bit more (~4 million) and I don't think he'd be happy playing split duties on a Calgary team.

I think there are three goalies Calgary should probably target:
Reimer, Dubnyk and Greiss.

All three of them are younger goalies with varying degrees of NHL experience. Reimer would probably cost a draft pick, probably along the lines of a third rounder or even the second rounder we got from the Avs. He's the only one that would require give up extra assets.

Dubnyk has had a rough year. A really rough year. Calgary could definitely give this guy a good shot to be considered a legitimate NHL type goalie. Might be the only team with the luxury of being able to take this shot at him.

Greiss is just kind of a safe backup. He's quite solid, will play his limited games and not complain; and just a goalie that doesn't hurt your team when he's in.

The goalie in Calgary shouldn't cost this team more than 2 million dollars, have to make sure Ramo knows he's the guy, but also need healthy competition.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Considering Ramo is making 2.75 million; and will be the starter on opening night, I don't see Calgary going the Hiller route honestly since he'll cost quite a bit more (~4 million) and I don't think he'd be happy playing split duties on a Calgary team.

I think there are three goalies Calgary should probably target:
Reimer, Dubnyk and Greiss.

All three of them are younger goalies with varying degrees of NHL experience. Reimer would probably cost a draft pick, probably along the lines of a third rounder or even the second rounder we got from the Avs. He's the only one that would require give up extra assets.

Dubnyk has had a rough year. A really rough year. Calgary could definitely give this guy a good shot to be considered a legitimate NHL type goalie. Might be the only team with the luxury of being able to take this shot at him.

Greiss is just kind of a safe backup. He's quite solid, will play his limited games and not complain; and just a goalie that doesn't hurt your team when he's in.

The goalie in Calgary shouldn't cost this team more than 2 million dollars, have to make sure Ramo knows he's the guy, but also need healthy competition.

I would be fine with all three of those goalies, and who knows, with Reimer or Dubnyk, you could, given the right situation and progression be getting a future starting or 1B goaltender, who would be loyal to you for giving their careers a second chance.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd rather keep our draft picks since we are a rebuilding team. Not really sold on Reimer. If anything, I would be going for Elliott and overpaying for this guy. He was able to play consecutive games when Halak was struggling until Halak was ready to go back out there.

For Ramo, he would have some bad games, and we had to refer to Berra for our back-up needs. Elliott can definitely step in the role as back up and starter when Ramo isn't playing very well.

Let's keep our draft picks. We need to stockpile on some RWers and defenseman.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
if we can sign a goalie that is better not only on the ice but also as good in the locker room as J Mac, then you do it, else sign him again. I do not think we need to use assets to aquire a backup at this stage

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
If you want a sound backup that will be a good mentor for Ramo, good in the room and puts up respectful numbers than Elliot would seem to be our guy. If we want a young goalie that will challenge Ramo next season and will act more as a 1B, than I am 100% on the Reimer boat.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I think goaltending is our biggest deficiency going forward, actually.

I would tend to agree. But luckily goaltending is the easiest to position to fix. All the Flames need is a short term solution.

Elliot, Halak, Emery, Bryz etc on short term deals would be fine. I think the Flames should just wait until August 1 and sign the best goalie willing to take a one year deal. There will be quality goalies looking for work well into free agency.

The back-up goalie position for the Flames has been a train wreck for over a decade. Just bring in a stop gap guy with some upside so the Flames can evaluate Ramo and Ortio for another season. If the Flames still need a goalie next off season, hopefully they will be ready to go for legit starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad