Speculation: 2014-2015 Back-up goalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I would tend to agree. But luckily goaltending is the easiest to position to fix. All the Flames need is a short term solution.

Elliot, Halak, Emery, Bryz etc on short term deals would be fine. I think the Flames should just wait until August 1 and sign the best goalie willing to take a one year deal. There will be quality goalies looking for work well into free agency.

The back-up goalie position for the Flames has been a train wreck for over a decade
. Just bring in a stop gap guy with some upside so the Flames can evaluate Ramo and Ortio for another season. If the Flames still need a goalie next off season, hopefully they will be ready to go for legit starter.

Exactly why signing Elliott or Emery would be the best way to go. These guys can play starting minutes in case Ramo gets injured again... Remember, Berra was partly the reason why we sucked so bad... I was still bothered when he and Ramo were switching off as starters, because one was the obvious decision. Guess we can say thanks to him, he did give us a 4th overall draft pick.

Ortio staying in the AHL for another season is best for his develpment.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
So, just an option, but would anyone be opposed to giving Irving another chance? He's done quite well in the Finnish league. I'd also look at Curtis Sanford. The guy has been amazing in the KHL, and did well towards his finish in the NHL.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I would give Irving another chance... We honestly expected so much out of him once Kipper left... It was the same situation when we wanted Baertschi to be our next franchise player when Iggy left. Our expectations need to be tempered more. Because of the pressure, Irving is gone, and Sven is playing in the AHL due to high expectations.

We are better at it now, not putting any pressure on Johnny G. and Joni Ortio. They are playing great because there was no pressure on them.

I am down to give Irving another chance, let him play back up with Ortio.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Exactly why signing Elliott or Emery would be the best way to go. These guys can play starting minutes in case Ramo gets injured again... Remember, Berra was partly the reason why we sucked so bad... I was still bothered when he and Ramo were switching off as starters, because one was the obvious decision. Guess we can say thanks to him, he did give us a 4th overall draft pick.

Ortio staying in the AHL for another season is best for his develpment.

This is false, Hartley played which ever goalie won games. If one of the guys won a game, he would get the next start, if he lost, then the other guy would go in. This was the philosophy until Ramo started to pull away and prove he was better.

Earlier in the year, Berra had a long stretch of games. It's unclear if Ramo was still nursing his injury and you have to consider the fact that Berra needed to get some games so he could properly be evaluated.

Also, call me crazy but I would Irving another shot. Sign him to a 1-year deal to be the backup.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This is false, Hartley played which ever goalie won games. If one of the guys won a game, he would get the next start, if he lost, then the other guy would go in. This was the philosophy until Ramo started to pull away and prove he was better.

Earlier in the year, Berra had a long stretch of games. It's unclear if Ramo was still nursing his injury and you have to consider the fact that Berra needed to get some games so he could properly be evaluated.

Also, call me crazy but I would Irving another shot. Sign him to a 1-year deal to be the backup.

Right, but you could've clearly known who the starter should have been when you compare the stats:

Berra: 29 GP, 9-17-2, .897 SV%, GAA 2.95

Ramo: 40 GP, 17-15-4, .911 SV%, GAA 2.63

Ramo had a few bad games towards the end of the season, letting in quite a bit. Before that road trip, his GAA was about 2.53.

I guess we both can agree that we are glad that Berra is gone, and also that we managed to squeeze out a 2nd rounder out of Colorado for him, kudos to Burke for that one.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Right, but you could've clearly known who the starter should have been when you compare the stats:

Ramo had a few bad games towards the end of the season, letting in quite a bit. Before that road trip, his GAA was about 2.53.

I guess we both can agree that we are glad that Berra is gone, and also that we managed to squeeze out a 2nd rounder out of Colorado for him, kudos to Burke for that one.

Ramo definitely outperformed Berra. But this season was largely about evaluation, so I totally get why Berra got the starts he did. He would of been a UFA this year so they needed to have a look what they had there, and as a result, he's no longer here. :laugh:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
if we can sign a goalie that is better not only on the ice but also as good in the locker room as J Mac, then you do it, else sign him again. I do not think we need to use assets to aquire a backup at this stage

What's this assessment based on?

Because when he was first assigned to Abbotsford, he ripped the team and coach quite badly to the media.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Id do it as well. Would be possible too now that Feaster is gone, although Hartley never seemed to like him either.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

We've beaten this horse enough, Ramo had offseason ankle surgery and so they took it slow bringing him back in. Berra may have been given a longer leash than some would like (he didn't get much help offensively) but there was a legit reason why Ramo wasn't playing as much.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Because I live in Phoenix and have seen him play a few times, I also think that Greiss would be a great backup for Ramo. He wouldn't necessarily be competing for the top spot like other backup goaltenders could be doing, but he gets the job done for the most part and is a reliable backup that could give us wins and can play a few games in a row if he has to. It's not like it just recently happened, he was a very good backup for Nabokov in San Jose.

Only is getting paid 750k right now, I think that could be bumped up to 1.75m-2.25m respectively.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
What happened in TO had nothing to do with the goaltending situation, in fact I'd suggest as far as goaltending goes, we would be lucky to have here what TO had this year. Their issue was team defense. Their goaltending was outstanding, due in no small part to Reimer. I truly believe that the competition between Reimer and Bernier, brought out the absolute best in Bernier, and their absolute collapse had more to do with luck catching up with them and Bernier getting injured than with Reimer's goaltending. I mean if you don't play a goalie for a month and a half then tell him to carry your team, you're in for a bad time.

To me, bringing Reimer in, isn't bringing in another starter, it's bringing in a young backup goalie who has a lot of potential to be a starter, and that potential is what will drive Ramo to play his best night in and night out, because he will know that if he doesn't play well, there is another goalie on the team that is capable of playing well when given a chance.

Also, you must factor in that this team wants to make the playoffs next year, so you need a goalie that cannot just play 25-35 games, but that can win the majority of them, and I believe Reimer is capable of that. Most people seem to be expecting that Ramo will be Kiprusoff and see 65-75 starts and that the back-up is just a formality, but that just isn't going to be the case. In my opinion, Ramo will see between 50-60 starts (assuming he doesn't lose the starting job) meaning that 22-32 starts will need to be made up by the backup goalie, as well as ice-time coming off the bench, as Ramo will have his bad nights, just like everyone else.

If we can get Reimer cheap, I think he is exactly what this team needs going forward.

Reimer didn't even play bad when Bernier went down. He just got completely and utterly tossed under the bus by his coach and the fans jumped on it.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
:laugh: You are hilarious. The market for that calibre goaltender has been set. It's not going to vary much off that, especially if Reimer doesn't want to sign in Toronto.

He's got no leverage other than "I don't want to sign here". Nonis won't give him away for free.

Worst case scenario he signs a cheap one year deal with the Leafs to hit FA.

Nonis doesn't need to trade him unless he gets his price, and he's never given anyone away in a trade yet. Plus Reimer does have potential unlike many will try to claim, and he's cost controlled. He'll have more value than a 3rd. Most Leaf fans expect at least a 2nd (probably just a 2nd).

He really only had one bad stretch of games in Jan/Feb. From October to December he was a .924 goalie. In March/April when nearly the entire team gave up or were just pushed beyond physical limits (Phaneuf/Kessel/JVR from pretty much carrying the team), he was putting up 30 plus save games, and a couple 40 plus save games, and literally doing his best with a defense that did nothing for him. He was an ok .910 then.

Reimer is going to be a starter for whoever gets him. The guy is a very level headed dude, and he does his damndest to win. His coach completely threw him under the bus, and it's hard to get confident when that happens.

And the guy who says he was all hype is hilarious. Never once did the media proclaim him a darling, outside his first season. After that it was ALWAYS a question of whether he could a starter. He helped drag the Leafs last season, and was a big reason for the almost beating the Bruins, and yet all the media could see was the last ten minutes of game 7, and they basically shifted all the blame on him and Phaneuf.

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I'd like to give Irving another shot and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Peters is still young in Carolina and has done a pretty good job. Greiss would be a good option just no Reimer, we'd have to trade and he'd be a backup who is horribly inconsistent

JulianHopper*

Hope it's not James Reimer and Joey MacDonald I believe won't be returning.

I'm still thinking it will be Jonas Hiller or maybe even Peter Budaj.

They're both older but can still play and would make a lot more sense for them to be a backup if Karri Ramo is the starter.

I called this back in April already, Jonas Hiller is a natural fit for the Flames.

2 years at $4.5M, that's a good signing.

Welcome to the Flames Jonas Hiller, glad to have you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad