3. Plymouth
4. Windsor
5. Kitchener
6. London
7. Erie
8. OS
9. Sarnia
10. Saginaw

London largely depends on Domi, Zadorov, Horvat, R. Rupert returning.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Brock I find your stuff very insightful. What would you say to those Windsor fans if they do finish 9th with all this young talent? They were told a few years ago the young talent would develop into something good and it didn't. Is there any track record of a team making a huge jump for a 9th seed to top of the conference? This is a big year for the Windsor organization imo.

Honestly, I don't think it is a big year for the Windsor organization. Rome wasn't built in a day.

The team is made up of primarily 96's and 97's, and a few 95's who are nearly guaranteed to be impact overagers (Murphy, Povo).

If the team finishes somewhere between 7-10 this year, that's not bad AT all. I look at the Spits as being very similar to Niagara last year. A very young (but talented) core who just weren't ready for the big time yet. And now this year, most people have them pegged to jump from bottom of the Conference to the top.

The Spits are set up to make a major run at the Conference again next year, and the year after. 2015/2016 should still be Ho-Sang's team to lead, while 2016/2017 will likely be Kirwan's.

This year, you're looking at a defense with very little experience save for Trevor Murphy (who has yet to really establish himself as a number 1/2), and with a starting goaltender who has also yet to establish himself as a front line starter. In all honesty, I'm surprised so many people have picked the Spits to finish 4th in the Conference (seeing it a ton in media predictions).

Just don't think they're ready yet.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Honestly, I don't think it is a big year for the Windsor organization. Rome wasn't built in a day.

The team is made up of primarily 96's and 97's, and a few 95's who are nearly guaranteed to be impact overagers (Murphy, Povo).

If the team finishes somewhere between 7-10 this year, that's not bad AT all. I look at the Spits as being very similar to Niagara last year. A very young (but talented) core who just weren't ready for the big time yet. And now this year, most people have them pegged to jump from bottom of the Conference to the top.

The Spits are set up to make a major run at the Conference again next year, and the year after. 2015/2016 should still be Ho-Sang's team to lead, while 2016/2017 will likely be Kirwan's.

This year, you're looking at a defense with very little experience save for Trevor Murphy (who has yet to really establish himself as a number 1/2), and with a starting goaltender who has also yet to establish himself as a front line starter. In all honesty, I'm surprised so many people have picked the Spits to finish 4th in the Conference (seeing it a ton in media predictions).

Brock

Your comparisons of Windsor and Niagara is astute and a good one
That being said,I do agree with those saying Windsor should be higher then what u
have forcasted,I know the Hockey News rates Windsor 6th best in the O,I was thinking 6-9 o/a
My feelings are if the SSM loses Nurse as well besides Gudbranson then things are up for grabs those would be huge losses the Sault goes from a very good d to a good but not great with an untested goalie,and backup issues
Guelph would probably get my top nod,the Sault would be #2 and after that who knows every team below has question marks,I feel 3 or 4 teams including Windsor could be in the top 5 or bottom 5 not alot of separation of overall talent,Plymouth great in goal,solid d,decent 5 or 6 forwards but after that no depth,Erie,2 studs up front,a decent goalie,an inexperienced d and too young bottom 8 forwards,Windsor a young d,but they will score upfront,and Fotinos with teachings from Jim Bedard and better health will surprise many and play like when he 1st got there,Owen Sd,great goaltending,ok d not outstanding,weak overall scoring,Saginaw,dysfunctional organization,question marks in goal,young team good in some areas,question marks in some,Sarnia,young team depth issues especially in goal and bottom 6 forwards,London,young d,unproven goalie,big changeover,question marks re the 3 amigos,Domi,Horvat,and Zadorov,and what can they fetch in return should any return,bottom 6 forwards young and inexperienced,and Kitchener,questions in goal,good upfront scoring,dont like their lack of grit,decent on d not greay
There u have it,not alot of separation between many teams,West will be competitive
just not powerful

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I guess that's where we differ I only see this year and next year. Windsor would have to win the lottery to see more than 2 years out of Kirwan and Brown. There's a reason Kirwan left this year and wasn't to end up playing 3 years in the OHL.

We agree on the D but I disagree on Murphy being an impact OA next year, he's been around 3 years now and has proven to be nothing close to 20-25 minute D.

I am also of the opinion if Windsor does finish 9th like you predict then Ho-Sang needs to go, 3 years is plenty from a top 5 pick to show you're capable of being a top player and lead a team.

Personally I hope they aren't like a Niagara 57 points last year is quite poor and I don't think anybody will buy in next year as a big year.

Quote from Warren Rychel

“I’m excited. I’ve got the fever back. I think we’ll make some noise this year, but next year we’ll be coming into our own.â€

Making noise isn't a 9th place or 7th place finish imo.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I guess that's where we differ I only see this year and next year. Windsor would have to win the lottery to see more than 2 years out of Kirwan and Brown. There's a reason Kirwan left this year and wasn't to end up playing 3 years in the OHL.

We agree on the D but I disagree on Murphy being an impact OA next year, he's been around 3 years now and has proven to be nothing close to 20-25 minute D.

I am also of the opinion if Windsor does finish 9th like you predict then Ho-Sang needs to go, 3 years is plenty from a top 5 pick to show you're capable of being a top player and lead a team.

Personally I hope they aren't like a Niagara 57 points last year is quite poor and I don't think anybody will buy in next year as a big year.

Quote from Warren Rychel

“I’m excited. I’ve got the fever back. I think we’ll make some noise this year, but next year we’ll be coming into our own.â€

Making noise isn't a 9th place or 7th place finish imo.

Murphy will be an impact offensive guy next year in my view
My feeling is we see Brown for 3 years definitely not 4, as for Kirwan maybe a third ala Kirby Rachel late birthday too but good chance not
As for the finish prefer top 3 or 4 but certainly will take top draft picks entry and European if we dont

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Murphy will be an impact offensive guy next year in my view
My feeling is we see Brown for 3 years definitely not 4, as for Kirwan maybe a third ala Kirby Rachel late birthday too but good chance not
As for the finish prefer top 3 or 4 but certainly will take top draft picks entry and European if we dont

Trevor Murphy is a one dimensional player. When he came to Peterborough, he was called the next Ryan Ellis. His defensive game never developed in Peterborough. His plus/minus numbers appear to be better in Windsor. He is at best, a third or fourth defenceman, but not a top two that you need from your lone 19 year old. I think Peterborough won this deal in the end. Brandon Devlin has been excellent for us.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Trevor Murphy is a one dimensional player. When he came to Peterborough, he was called the next Ryan Ellis. His defensive game never developed in Peterborough. His plus/minus numbers appear to be better in Windsor. He is at best, a third or fourth defenceman, but not a top two that you need from your lone 19 year old. I think Peterborough won this deal in the end. Brandon Devlin has been excellent for us.

I'm not sure which hockey you've been watching but Brandon Devlin may be the definition of a one dimensional player. Actually.. I don't even know if he has one? He can shoot a puck hard.. Does that count? Ruins the flow of the PP and barely hits the net with that shot... Also, someone needs to get that guy a map to play in the defensive zone. Lost. :help:

Colin Mcdavis*

Erie has a "decent" goalie? Williams was sixth in the leauge last year, and ended on an upswing. Look for him to be in the top three this year. :laugh::laugh:
Brock

Your comparisons of Windsor and Niagara is astute and a good one
That being said,I do agree with those saying Windsor should be higher then what u
have forcasted,I know the Hockey News rates Windsor 6th best in the O,I was thinking 6-9 o/a
My feelings are if the SSM loses Nurse as well besides Gudbranson then things are up for grabs those would be huge losses the Sault goes from a very good d to a good but not great with an untested goalie,and backup issues
Guelph would probably get my top nod,the Sault would be #2 and after that who knows every team below has question marks,I feel 3 or 4 teams including Windsor could be in the top 5 or bottom 5 not alot of separation of overall talent,Plymouth great in goal,solid d,decent 5 or 6 forwards but after that no depth,Erie,2 studs up front,a decent goalie,an inexperienced d and too young bottom 8 forwards,Windsor a young d,but they will score upfront,and Fotinos with teachings from Jim Bedard and better health will surprise many and play like when he 1st got there,Owen Sd,great goaltending,ok d not outstanding,weak overall scoring,Saginaw,dysfunctional organization,question marks in goal,young team good in some areas,question marks in some,Sarnia,young team depth issues especially in goal and bottom 6 forwards,London,young d,unproven goalie,big changeover,question marks re the 3 amigos,Domi,Horvat,and Zadorov,and what can they fetch in return should any return,bottom 6 forwards young and inexperienced,and Kitchener,questions in goal,good upfront scoring,dont like their lack of grit,decent on d not greay
There u have it,not alot of separation between many teams,West will be competitive
just not powerful

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Goalies i would for sure take over Williams:

-MacKenzie Blackwood
-Alex Nedeljvkovic
-Brandon Hope

That's it.

(Note: i said FOR SURE)

I don't see Williams being top three but calling him "decent" is laughable and just shows your Windsor bias.

hfp

Jul 30, 2009
SSM
With a mere 19 OHL decisions on his resume, it is yet-to-be-determined if Halverson has what it takes to be a 50-game starter and a 30-game winner — which is what Murray averaged over his final two seasons as a Greyhound. Quote from Randy Russon

Halverson will blossom to be the ohls best goalie by end of the year. His glove is on fire.

chriscoutu

Oct 13, 2014
Oakville
Hounds still top dog in the West?

After 7 games, how does everyone feel about the Greyhounds. Are they for real? Erie looks strong too, who do you have winning the West now after 3 weeks of play?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
After 7 games, how does everyone feel about the Greyhounds. Are they for real? Erie looks strong too, who do you have winning the West now after 3 weeks of play?

Yes and I don't think it will be particularly close. The incredible depth will pay off over the long haul.

avalanches78

Aug 27, 2014
I think both the Soo and Erie are doing as strong as I expected them to do. I think it will be battle between the two, especially if Erie goes out and get another player through trade. I don't think they will be crazy enough to poison the room with Domi, but they might try to get a guy like Bailey if he becomes available at the trade deadline. That would make their offence almost as strong as what Guelph had last year. In the East I am very surprised at Niagara start, I thought they would be one of the contenders, I guess the long road trip to start the season is not agreeing with them.

Sudbury is doing as bad as I thought they would and London seems to be going for their first playoff miss of the year. their next two games are against Erie and then Guelph. That would place them at 2-7 to start the season. And they have not started to selloff yet which everyone knows will happen. Seems a lot of Knights fan are happy with that though, they would like to draft higher for a change. After seeing Mascherin play for two weeks for the Rangers I can't say that I blame them.

As for my Kitchener Rangers well they better start to play better D cause our goalie is not doing us any favor. We can score but if we keep letting in goals galore like this it won't get us very far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad