SHL: 2014-15 SHL General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Almost all the teams look weaker, even if we consider what we think they might sign. Hope is for LHC and Färjestad to take another step towards contention.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Almost all the teams look weaker, even if we consider what we think they might sign. Hope is for LHC and Färjestad to take another step towards contention.

The Swedish teams really have taken a step back in recent years. But with so many Swedes playing abroad and the lure of the KHL for non Swedes as well I guess we will have to get used to it.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Leksand will be alot better next season. Losing Hersley is not yet certain, (although very likely), his wife just extended their apartment contract (bostadskontrakt) in Leksand, so there is still hope. I have alot of faith in Andreas Appelgren, a great coach who is appreciated among players.

If we could acquire Kähkönen, Frögren, offensive RW and maybe an offensive RD (if Hersley leaves) we have a really good chance of having another great season.

How id like our lineup to be:

Kähkönen - Ryno - RW
Bergenström - Sallinen - Himelfarb
Connolly - Connolly - Brunnström
Russell - Händemark - T.Forsberg
Mårtensson - Grönberg - F.Forsberg

Svedberg - RD/Hersley
Frögren - Kapstad
Rönnberg - Jacobsson
Gartner - Erlandsson/Ekberg

I don't think there will be any punching bags next year, Örebro has improved their roster, but I doubt they'll end up top 10. My guess is that they will finish 11th. Djurgården 12th. Skellefteå will of course finish 1st, but it's pretty open after that IMO. Will Färjestad and HV bounce back? (yes I know FBK went to the finals but they had a rough season.) I don't think Andreas Johansson is a good fit as head coach for HV, he seems really creepy and has a short fuse, I won't be suprised if they have another bad season.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
I don't think there will be any punching bags next year, Örebro has improved their roster, but I doubt they'll end up top 10. My guess is that they will finish 11th.

Hope that Örebro will be in top 10, as for me their roster looks better this year and overall they need to be more constant than last season.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Hope that Örebro will be in top 10, as for me their roster looks better this year and overall they need to be more constant than last season.

If they can stay consistent, they will definetly be a force next year, but that's where I have my doubts, they looked great at times last season but just couldn't keep it up. If they get a good 1D to replace their best defender Sondell, it looks a little better.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
If they can stay consistent, they will definetly be a force next year, but that's where I have my doubts, they looked great at times last season but just couldn't keep it up. If they get a good 1D to replace their best defender Sondell, it looks a little better.

Yes, agree with you

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Örebro will look good next year compared to last. They held their own pretty well but didn't get SHL goaltending, something they've certainly corrected with Hudacek coming in.

Leksand doesn't look as terrible as initially thought, but they fought for their lives most nights and now you take their two best skaters away.. yowza. Be surprised if they match their point total from this year. They look like the 11th strongest team to me.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Örebro will look good next year compared to last. They held their own pretty well but didn't get SHL goaltending, something they've certainly corrected with Hudacek coming in.

Leksand doesn't look as terrible as initially thought, but they fought for their lives most nights and now you take their two best skaters away.. yowza. Be surprised if they match their point total from this year. They look like the 11th strongest team to me.

The only loss that hurts is Hersley if he leaves. Blomqvist is not a big loss, and Mikael Johansson wasn't that great although he scored alot of points. I think we'll finish somewhere around 6-9.

I think MODO has the potential to be a bottom team next year. But my guess is still Örebro and Djurgården.

Hudacek in goal helps Örebro, but as of now their defence isn't looking good.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
My North American style "power rankings" would be:

A bit tough as most teams have their last, and often biggest, piece still left to fill, but if I have to guesstimate what that final piece would add to their teams, it would look like this:

1. Skellefteå - reigning champs and Frögren and Holloway leaves lots of dollars left to replace them, maybe a guy like Rundblad comes back?

2. Växjö - kept most of their team and should be able to add one good player at every position

3. Frölunda - good depth but losing Axelsson and Klingberg will hurt, can Johnson, Wennberg etc. take another step?

4. Linköping - so dynamic offensively but couldn't defend and didn't get a save until late in the year, corrected now? Huge potential.

5. Färjestad - looks solid, will be a top-6 team if they can do well with the big forward signings and get Nygren back

6. Luleå - huge holes after Klasen and Olausson, but still a very solid lineup overall. Daniel Larsson?

7. Brynäs - a big wild card as Scott and Gunderson leaves, and how will Westerholm twins fare in SHL? Still a roster of decent quality.

8. Örebro - Ryan and Hudacek should be good additions, and people underrate how huge of an impact Markko Anttila had. A no.1 D-man from becoming the new Växjö.

9. HV71 - Ersberg in should make a huge difference by itself, but William Karlsson was one of SHL's best players.. D looks decent with Karlsson back and Berglund in. 1C signing will be big.

10. Modo - reliant on excellent goaltending but should get that again with Ullmark and Reideborn.. can Possler get back to fall of 2013 form and can Nylander take another step? Otherwise, could be trouble.

11. Leksand - point producers gone, power play threats gone, can Alsenfelt reproduce what he did last year? Some interesting signings but only Kapstad who can move the puck.

12. Djurgården - Looks like a pretty good Allsvenskan team. Too many player up front who won't cut it in SHL.

Mrpm

Jan 4, 2013
My North American style "power rankings" would be:

A bit tough as most teams have their last, and often biggest, piece still left to fill, but if I have to guesstimate what that final piece would add to their teams, it would look like this:

1. Skellefteå - reigning champs and Frögren and Holloway leaves lots of dollars left to replace them, maybe a guy like Rundblad comes back?

2. Växjö - kept most of their team and should be able to add one good player at every position

3. Frölunda - good depth but losing Axelsson and Klingberg will hurt, can Johnson, Wennberg etc. take another step?

4. Linköping - so dynamic offensively but couldn't defend and didn't get a save until late in the year, corrected now? Huge potential.

5. Färjestad - looks solid, will be a top-6 team if they can do well with the big forward signings and get Nygren back

6. Luleå - huge holes after Klasen and Olausson, but still a very solid lineup overall. Daniel Larsson?

7. Brynäs - a big wild card as Scott and Gunderson leaves, and how will Westerholm twins fare in SHL? Still a roster of decent quality.

8. Örebro - Ryan and Hudacek should be good additions, and people underrate how huge of an impact Markko Anttila had. A no.1 D-man from becoming the new Växjö.

9. HV71 - Ersberg in should make a huge difference by itself, but William Karlsson was one of SHL's best players.. D looks decent with Karlsson back and Berglund in. 1C signing will be big.

10. Modo - reliant on excellent goaltending but should get that again with Ullmark and Reideborn.. can Possler get back to fall of 2013 form and can Nylander take another step? Otherwise, could be trouble.

11. Leksand - point producers gone, power play threats gone, can Alsenfelt reproduce what he did last year? Some interesting signings but only Kapstad who can move the puck.

12. Djurgården - Looks like a pretty good Allsvenskan team. Too many player up front who won't cut it in SHL.

Pointless making ranks already though..

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Your opinions about Djurgården losing money due to AIK getting relegated?

Shouldn't all the teams share the cost of AIK's parachute payment?

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
I like the idea of a parachute as long as the money goes to help the transition from SHL team to HA team and not to sign new players.

All SHL teams should obvious help paying for the parachute though. Making only the promoted team(s) pay is such an illogical decision.

Or wait, it's actually not illogical, because teams just go by what is best for them. That is why the SHL teams (who won't forfeit any money) came to this decision and that is why pretty much every decision SHL has made in the past years to "help" Swedish hockey has followed that pattern.

How can the rest of Swedish hockey not be involved (or at least the HA teams), when decisions like these are made? Same question was asked during the whole wild card fiasco.

Last edited:

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Your opinions about Djurgården losing money due to AIK getting relegated?

Shouldn't all the teams share the cost of AIK's parachute payment?

The parachute shouldn't be necessary. I think tougher financial requirements in the first place should be the way to go. Can't live on the edge every year and have to get a present from the SHL if you get relegated. This was just an easy way for SHL teams to get some extra financial cushion if they go out and having someone else pay for it (none of the 12 teams deciding on this get to pay for it but they are the only ones benefitting from it).

The parachute is a bad idea. If you have a tough time after getting relegated because you've handled your club so poorly, fine - cut your player salary budget to be with the smallest in Hockeyallsvenskan. If you can't keep the economy together even with that, you shouldn't get to have a team. The teams need to be more responsible with their money. How many times have teams been saved by external investors or the city saving the teams? There's no minimum spending in these leagues, if you can't spend 30M pr 45M on players, don't do it.

Sadly, time and time again someone else swoons in and saves them.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Pointless making ranks already though..

Most teams have one or two important spots left to fill, I don't think Modo's third line right winger is gonna change the way we look at their chances for this year. I don't think it's too early to look at how teams stack up against each other, but obviously there's a long time before the season and some teams will do better than others with their signings.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
16 forwards on roster now, but remove Heinerö, Krüger, Kalin, Sundberg and possibly someone else and you're down to 12-13. Then add a 1st line to that.. but in reality it's gonna be like Bergfors-Ridderwall-Widing even in a dream scenario I guess. Not looking good. Same on D.

PuckOut

Feb 23, 2009
www.youtube.com
Wasn't DIF one of the biggest advocates of the rule before being relegated. :laugh:

No. They were not.

They've been advocating the parachute payment, which they still do. But the idea that the promoted club alone have to finance it was never discussed or proposed when DIF were involved. And the fact that the SHL now indirectly implies what you're suggesting just makes this whole ordeal even dirtier.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Djurgården fans is not happy about signing Trukhno. Don't get why they rather have him than Jakobs, who I think would to well in a bigger role in SHL. He didn't really get the chance in Leksand or Luleå.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad