Proposal: 2014/15 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals vol. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Hoffman a stud?

He's on pace for 42 points

I like him but I would not call him a stud

agreed as of right now i see hoffman being our version of helm but not necessarily a stud

fast as **** which brings a different, annoys the other team with his speed, isnt afraid to shoot

hoffman would need at least 2 seasons where he puts up 50+ points before he enters that stud category. Different than say zibby and lazar because they were drafted based off of potential where as hoffman was drafted as more of a project

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Hoffman a stud?

Stud might be an exaggeration, but at times Hoffman is the most exciting player on the team. If you want to talk projections, he's on pace for 25+ goals. That's selective mentioning on your part I'm sure.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He certainly looked spectacular against Montreal

Didn't do much good though because as spectacular as he looked skating around, the results were not spectacular looking

Sure 25+ goals is nice and certainly encouraging but 42 points is the total that I care more about

I don't want to give the impression that I'm down on the team, I think this team is trending upwards (slowly) but that we are still very far away from being anything more than an average bubble team

h2

Mar 26, 2002
He certainly looked spectacular against Montreal

Didn't do much good though because as spectacular as he looked skating around, the results were not spectacular looking

Sure 25+ goals is nice and certainly encouraging but 42 points is the total that I care more about

I don't want to give the impression that I'm down on the team, I think this team is trending upwards (slowly) but that we are still very far away from being anything more than an average bubble team

I don't get the impression you are down on the team. I agree that we are very far away from competing. I think we are 2 top 4 D, and 2 1st line forwards away from competing with our current roster. Those aren't easy pieces to acquire.

My point I wanted to make earlier was that I think it is way premature to label prospects in their first couple dozen games in the NHL even if they don't look impressive. We've done the same in the past with Karlsson/Zibanejad and it's proven to be not what we thought after they've adapted to the NHL pace.

BigBush*

I don't get the impression you are down on the team. I agree that we are very far away from competing. I think we are 2 top 4 D, and 2 1st line forwards away from competing with our current roster. Those aren't easy pieces to acquire.

My point I wanted to make earlier was that I think it is way premature to label prospects in their first couple dozen games in the NHL even if they don't look impressive. We've done the same in the past with Karlsson/Zibanejad and it's proven to be not what we thought after they've adapted to the NHL pace.

It's easier to access Hoffman though because of his age. He might get better as he gets more use to the NHL, but it's also possible we are seeing him at his peak (a 20-20 guy, which is still great).

It's a lot harder to project a player like Stone, who's younger and could really break out

h2

Mar 26, 2002
It's easier to access Hoffman though because of his age. He might get better as he gets more use to the NHL, but it's also possible we are seeing him at his peak (a 20-20 guy, which is still great).

It's a lot harder to project a player like Stone, who's younger and could really break out

Agreed completely, this is more less the point I was making.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
agreed as of right now i see hoffman being our version of helm but not necessarily a stud

fast as **** which brings a different, annoys the other team with his speed, isnt afraid to shoot

hoffman would need at least 2 seasons where he puts up 50+ points before he enters that stud category. Different than say zibby and lazar because they were drafted based off of potential where as hoffman was drafted as more of a project

He was viewed as a project and his development has progressed really well. He's just needed a bit of time to adjust to each level of hockey before he started excelling.

Junior:

He gets cut from Kitchener, gets let go from Gatineau, and then puts up 19 goals in 43 games for Drummondville in the same season! He follows that up with a 53 goal season and a league MVP.

Minor Pro:

Doesn't make Bingo and is relegated to the ECHL. Gets called back up and has a mediocre season with the Baby Sens. His next full season he puts up 20+ goals. Fast forward a couple of years and he's arguably the MVP of the AHL at the age of 24.

Pro:

He had 3 separate call-ups to Ottawa as he was developing and he looked nervous and unsure of himself for most of the 29 games he played. We saw flashes of brilliance, but we also witnessed bad giveaways, missed open nets, and hit posts. He couldn't buy a goal! But now he's in the midst of his 1st full season with Ottawa and he's on pace for 20+ goals...once again.

He may not be a "stud" now, but he has shown a pattern of success after a period of adjustment everywhere he has played. This is pretty exciting considering he is approaching his "prime" years as a pro athlete. He reminds me a lot of Patrick Sharp. Similar size, excellent wheels, good hands, and a nasty release. Sharp also put up 20 goals and 35 points in his first full season with Philly. He was 25 years old.

Something to think about....

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Lol let's not be too technical.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hoffman is okay but lack of hockey IQ will prevent him from being a great player

This was the big thing as to "why he would never make it". He proved ten wrong. The guy makes nice plays on defence and offense. Thinks the game pretty well. No one is saying he is elite or will be. But his IQ isn't a problem per say.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Have you ever watched hall play. He's insanely hard to contain.

I would do that if I'm Ottawa. Not if I'm Edmonton.

Glad you aren't the GM

Our 1st round pick would likely be worse than Edmonton's at the end of that season and our D would be the absolute worst in the NHL

The value isn't bad but it creates large holes in both teams

It's a stupid proposal

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hoffman a stud?

Point pace per game doesn't take into mins played, or how many of those mins are PP mins.

Hoffman is not getting top PP mins, and is actually 1st on the team in ES pts per min. He's first on the team in total ES points and has looked effective in both a bottom six role with Stone and Lazar, and in a top 6 role with Zibanejad and Ryan.

If he's not performing like a stud, he's pretty close to it.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Glad you aren't the GM

Our 1st round pick would likely be worse than Edmonton's at the end of that season and our D would be the absolute worst in the NHL

The value isn't bad but it creates large holes in both teams

It's a stupid proposal

Mcdavid trumps all. If only for the massive media attention, marketing opportunities and future revenue.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think your best case scenario is actually more of a safe projection for Lazar. You do realize you are judging a player 20 games into his NHL career? Do you not remember how average Karlsson looked 20 games into his career? Or how unimpressive Mika was during his first 9 games? You're essentially projecting Lazar's entire career ahead based on this initial viewing.

Hoffman is a stud right now, how do you think he'd look at 19 years of age in the NHL? Probably horrible.

It's all about the skills.

You could see Karlsson's game-breaking speed as a rookie.
You can see Hoffman's goal scoring ability and hands.

I see a ton of hard work and effort from Lazar.....I don't see a high skill level. Skills can still be developed at his age, but it's a lot harder to develop those skills when playing in the NHL where he has to 'keep it simple' to be effective. He has to be in junior where he has the ability to 'be fancy' and do some dipsy doodle moves against weaker competition. That's how you develop those hands.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yeah but Mika sucks.

Lol he has 17 points or something in his last 19 games and he's 21. And still raw. He sucks.

In a Zibby we developing floater. If i have to choose, i'd trade Zibby over Lazar. I think Lazat have bigger upside than Zibanejad.

Zibby has higher offensive potential. Much higher, imo.

When the hell has Helm ever produced or looked as good as Hoffman? Helm has no where near Hoffman's shot and dangles. His speed is the only thing comparable.

Hoffman is a stud.

Hoffman is okay but lack of hockey IQ will prevent him from being a great player

Disagree. The guy has done some brilliant plays which require really high IQ.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It's all about the skills.

You could see Karlsson's game-breaking speed as a rookie.
You can see Hoffman's goal scoring ability and hands.

I see a ton of hard work and effort from Lazar.....I don't see a high skill level. Skills can still be developed at his age, but it's a lot harder to develop those skills when playing in the NHL where he has to 'keep it simple' to be effective. He has to be in junior where he has the ability to 'be fancy' and do some dipsy doodle moves against weaker competition. That's how you develop those hands.

In 2002, USA Hockey put together a study of how long the best players on the ice actually handle the puck. The results of the study, which was done at the Salt Lake Olympics and at USA Hockey National Championships, showed that players touch the puck for a little more than one minute during a 60-minute game

It practice that makes them better not a lot in games for those skills

BigBush*

Zib does have higher offensive potential than Lazar, but I think Lazar will be a better playmaker and will have a better 2 way game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad