Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster Thread VI | ALL TRADE & FA SPECULATION HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You are overstating the effect the TDL has on trades. Yes, many teams hold offf until closer to Feb/March, but trades do happen earlier on and this year especially, there will be multiple teams willing to give up roster players for futures. By the time Maatta gets back there will be a few teams who will already have given up, so to speak.

My hope is that both EDM and WPG join Buffalo on that list. :D

Colorado as well.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Downie is quickly, like, alarmingly-quick, vaulting into "2minutes for being Matt Cooke" territory. Officials are already tired of his act and he's getting calls because he's Downie and nothing more.

I'm actually okay with that, because the Pens' special teams units are able to back it up, but I'm not really getting the feel that he's the answer to the Pens problems in the long term. He'll have to tone it down eventually.

If any of the one year contract bottom six guys gets extended right now I'd rather it be Comeau. He's been everything I expected and more. He plays with some grit, always seems to be making contact, skates well and has shown a nice flash of offense. Downie hasn't really impressed me that much. I haven't disliked his play or really been disappointed in what I've seen, but I haven't seen enough to want to commit to him for next year+ yet

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
With Buffalo I wonder if they would have any interest in moving Hodgson with his horrible start and their desire to tank like no one has tanked before. He's young at at 24, can play center and wing, has great hands and has shown a decent two way game. He's not a guy who you can build a line around, but if he were paired with a guy like geno where the focus isn't on him I think he could thrive.

Would anyone take a chance on him and if so what would you offer up?

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Downie's health is the biggest issue. From what I've read and heard, MJ wants him on the third line with BB and Sutter. In that role, he'd absolutely stick around. Especially if we're back to contending.

Downie will be here as long as Tocchet is here IMO. Tocchet is the reason he came to Pittsburgh. JW5 (From a friend of mine that knows Steve).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
With Buffalo I wonder if they would have any interest in moving Hodgson with his horrible start and their desire to tank like no one has tanked before. He's young at at 24, can play center and wing, has great hands and has shown a decent two way game. He's not a guy who you can build a line around, but if he were paired with a guy like geno where the focus isn't on him I think he could thrive.

Would anyone take a chance on him and if so what would you offer up?

I think due to his age, and contract that it would take at least a 1st - likely more. Depending on what other players are costing, I could probably get behind that. But honestly, I'd rather look at other players first.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I think due to his age, and contract that it would take at least a 1st - likely more. Depending on what other players are costing, I could probably get behind that. But honestly, I'd rather look at other players first.

I'm watching Stafford right now, and I'm sure with his underachiever status in Buffalo it wouldn't cost much more than a 2nd rounder.

penguins2946*

During free agency (assuming we don't trade for a top-6 winger), the 2 players I want the Pens to heavily pursue are Foligno and Williams. Both could be available (I personally feel like Williams would probably be available sooner), and both would be big upgrades to what we currently have. Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvst and Foligno-Malkin-Bennett or Kunitz-Malkin-Williams and Bennett-Crosby-Hornqvist are both solid options imo.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
During free agency (assuming we don't trade for a top-6 winger), the 2 players I want the Pens to heavily pursue are Foligno and Williams. Both could be available (I personally feel like Williams would probably be available sooner), and both would be big upgrades to what we currently have. Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvst and Foligno-Malkin-Bennett or Kunitz-Malkin-Williams and Bennett-Crosby-Hornqvist are both solid options imo.

Foligno if he hits FA is going to cost close to 5m. Not a big deal if he can bring that physical brand that Kunitz used to, while still putting up 20/50. But I think if we were to get 2 guys like Williams and Foligno (both of whom I'd be very happy with), I think it would then be time to move Kunitz. He's really not a player you want to get stuck with as he gets older.

Let one of BB/Dupuis/trade fight it out for that last top 6 spot.

jdpitt05

Jan 10, 2009
Pittsburgh

The best thing I'd like about this lineup is that it feels suited for playoff hockey. The style that alot of these forwards play lends itself to the physical nature of the playoffs. Strength on the boards, forecheck, and net front presence.

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Foligno-Malkin-Bennett
Dupuis-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Comeau

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Foligno is a beast, I'd love for us to get him, but I don't think Columbus would let him go. I'm not familiar with their cap situation though.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Foligno is a beast, I'd love for us to get him, but I don't think Columbus would let him go. I'm not familiar with their cap situation though.

He's one of a few players they will need to deal with. He's the only UFA, however Bobrovsky, Erixon, Calvert and Atkinson are all RFA's. Cap geek says they have 46.5m allocated to next season (the actual salary number is probably pretty close to that as well). Bob will get at least 6m. Calvert and Atkinson combined are likely less than 5-6m. That puts them around 59m. However (and this I think helps us), the following off season (July 2016) they have a bunch of prominent RFA's that they'll need to deal with (and more the following off season) in Jenner, Savard and Murray.

The big question is how much they can afford to spend, and whether they think they can afford to spend 5m on him.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
FWIW, my opinion is that I'm not so sure at this point, and this has been growing on me for awhile, that trading Sutter is such a good idea. I KNOW you have to "give to get," and we all agree that the Pens need at least one more top 6 wing. BUT -- Sutter continues to impress me more and more. Now, instead of me just seeing him as being a very good but soft defensive center with a good wrist shot, he's showing me two additional things -- more skill with the puck than I though he showed earlier on, making quite a few, relatively frequent nifty little plays to beat defenders, AND -- a more physical edge to his board play/forechecking than before. When adding all of this together plus his scoring touch, I am becoming less and less in favor of moving him for winger help. I think he provides some things as a 3rd center that are sneaky and will help win us some games in the post-season; as much as I like Goc (who is also sneakily good at times), and while Spaling could play 3C decently IMO, and while Sundqvist REALLY impressed me in the pre-season, I'm starting to think that Sutter being moved is not a good idea. He seems to be really coming into his own, to me, and his age suggests that he SHOULD be moving into his prime...such that there may still be a bit more "upside" to his game. I do understand MJ's reasoning of wanting BB on that line...Dupuis/Sutter/Bennett has the potential IMO to make an OUTSTANDING third line -- dare I say adding an element in the post-season that could make a real difference, in the way Stall's line did during the Cup year? Obviously, though, to roll that line, we need to add AT LEAST one winger for Geno, and ideally two (to bump Comeau down, though I like what he's brought to the team). To get Geno's help, I would be looking to send Martin, Dumoulin, picks...and obviously any of the lesser D prospects (Samuelsson, etc.), obviously Scuds if he had any value...

I'm not sure if we have enough to dangle, from those I mentioned, to get two wingers for Geno, but certainly Martin+Dumoulin+2015 2nd would have enough value to theoretically land us at least ONE quality L2 LW...

As much as I hate to say it, I think there is a coming log-jam at 3C, with Sundqvist looking ready. I almost feel like the team has to decide on one versus the other (Sutter/Sundqvist), and deal the other away in that trade for Geno's wings. Unfortunately, Sutter obviously brings MUCH more in terms of trade value than Sundqvist would at this point, but I just am reaching a point where I think Sutter would be a hard player to want to move (except in a blockbuster-type trade, where we land a true, long-term, big-time winger for Geno).

Last edited:

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
He's one of a few players they will need to deal with. He's the only UFA, however Bobrovsky, Erixon, Calvert and Atkinson are all RFA's. Cap geek says they have 46.5m allocated to next season (the actual salary number is probably pretty close to that as well). Bob will get at least 6m. Calvert and Atkinson combined are likely less than 5-6m. That puts them around 59m. However (and this I think helps us), the following off season (July 2016) they have a bunch of prominent RFA's that they'll need to deal with (and more the following off season) in Jenner, Savard and Murray.

The big question is how much they can afford to spend, and whether they think they can afford to spend 5m on him.

If he went to FA don't you think he could get more than 5 though? Maybe he leaves a little $ on the table to stay in Columbus long term, but it's just too early to tell right now. Foligno-Geno-BB/KK would be a dirty line.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Foligno if he hits FA is going to cost close to 5m. Not a big deal if he can bring that physical brand that Kunitz used to, while still putting up 20/50. But I think if we were to get 2 guys like Williams and Foligno (both of whom I'd be very happy with), I think it would then be time to move Kunitz. He's really not a player you want to get stuck with as he gets older.

Stuck with? You realize that for whatever grievances one can once in a while have with him, he is an absolute bargain, and that he is here for 'just' two more years?
If he is ever dealt, I am assuming it will be in his last season where guys like Bennett and Kapanen are hopefully regular top6 guys. More likely, at that time he could be a nice, nice, nice 3rd liner if things pan out well.
If we get one top6 winger for Malkin signed a'la Foligno next season, am A-OK trusting one of the kids with the other spot. At least until the deadline where one can re-evaluate whether they're ready or not.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Stuck with? You realize that for whatever grievances one can once in a while have with him, he is an absolute bargain, and that he is here for 'just' two more years?
If he is ever dealt, I am assuming it will be in his last season where guys like Bennett and Kapanen are hopefully regular top6 guys. More likely, at that time he could be a nice, nice, nice 3rd liner if things pan out well.
If we get one top6 winger for Malkin signed a'la Foligno next season, am A-OK trusting one of the kids with the other spot. At least until the deadline where one can re-evaluate whether they're ready or not.

Agree.

That's a ton of grit in Kunitz/Hornqvist/Foligno and all can score. One of Bennett/Kapanen fills rounds out the top 6 and the other is with Sutter and Dupuis. Great top 9.

penguins2946*

The best thing I'd like about this lineup is that it feels suited for playoff hockey. The style that alot of these forwards play lends itself to the physical nature of the playoffs. Strength on the boards, forecheck, and net front presence.

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Foligno-Malkin-Bennett
Dupuis-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Comeau

I don't think we could get Foligno via trade during the season, but if we could, I would be all over that.

I don't think Foligno would cost quite that much, but I was penciling him into the lineup while costing $4.5 million. I would happily pay that. Kings fans seem to think that Williams will re-sign for about the same as he's making now since the Kings are winners (I think that's a lot of wishful thinking or blind ignorance), so I don't know if he's going to be an option in free agency. I don't think we would need both, we have Bennett that should be ready for top-6 duty next year and Kapanen ready for 3rd line duty with Sutter. If we get Foligno, we would have:

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Foligno-Malkin-Bennett
Kapanen-Sutter-Dupuis
Spaling-Sundqvist-XXXXX

Maybe they let Sundqvist play a larger role in the AHL, they put Spaling at 4C and re-sign Downie and Comeau. That would be a filthy forward group, and that could easily be workable with the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad