Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XXV: Raising Kane (er... when he's off IR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

I believe if we got Petry a subsequent move would involve trading Martin or Ehrhoff. Maybe with LA, who knows but we wouldn't need that many players of the same ilk.

We wouldn't move Martin or Ehrhoff if we brought in Petry. We'd probably let them walk to re-sign Petry (since he's much younger, a RHD and would be cheaper), but we wouldn't trade either of them. A D group for next year of:

Maatta-Letang
Despres-Petry
Pouliot-Physical bottom pair D

Looks pretty good IMO.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Go one step further.

Hornqvist for Semin.

I want somebody playing with Malkin who can give and take a pass. If they got Semin it would be an obvious play for Malkin and not a Crosby wash out.

I believe that would bring the total number of guys acquired specifically for Malkin to 3 - Semin, Fedotenko, Ponikarovsky (the wrong leaf winger) - in 9 years here.

Kunitz-Crosby-Perron
Tlusty-Malkin-Semin

Notice in the last two games playing with Arcobello and Hornqvist the guy that Malkin is passing the most with seems to be Arcobello.

No. No need to comment any further

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I meant to say that they have not done well with the way they handled their young defensemen. But I just don't think we have had any other prospects who has been producing so well and we have not played them

Right, so there are the young defensemen. And Bennett. And Farnham, whose contributions are never going to be measured by goals and assists but who absolutely deserves to be playing on the Pens based on performance.

That's more than enough of a track record for me, but your mileage may vary.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Petry and Sekera are the two D that I would love. Petry doesn't exactly fit a need per se on defense, but I just really like the guys' game and hate that he's rotting away in Edmonton.

Bringing in Tlusty and Petry would be fine since both are young and could be re-signed. How you make that work in the cap? No idea.

penguins2946*

If we don't bring in anyone at the deadline and we have cap space in free agency, Tlusty and Petry are the 2 guys I'd want us to target. I think we would get out-bid for Petry though.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Who's better Petry or Sekara???

Sekera. Petry played well against us but he isn't always that consistent. I've seen him put in "Kunitz" like efforts for stretches. I know it's Edmonton but still.

Sekera-Letang
Maatta-Despres

Looks a pretty nice top 4

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
If we don't bring in anyone at the deadline and we have cap space in free agency, Tlusty and Petry are the 2 guys I'd want us to target. I think we would get out-bid for Petry though.

We'd be outbid for both I think.

Are there any players on the UFA list who are likely to be released and available opposed to being signed soon?

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
We wouldn't move Martin or Ehrhoff if we brought in Petry. We'd probably let them walk to re-sign Petry (since he's much younger, a RHD and would be cheaper), but we wouldn't trade either of them. A D group for next year of:

Maatta-Letang
Despres-Petry
Pouliot-Physical bottom pair D

Looks pretty good IMO.

Agree with your concept. However, I go 1 step further in that I'd try for both Petry and Sekera, if Ehrhoff injury looks long term. I would not be opposed to moving Bortuzzo and Martin. Bortuzzo because the others are better, and Martin for cap relief.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sekera. Petry played well against us but he isn't always that consistent. I've seen him put in "Kunitz" like efforts for stretches. I know it's Edmonton but still.

Sekera-Letang
Maatta-Despres

Looks a pretty nice top 4

The problem is Sekera is a lefty and we want a righty. It is ok if we can land both, because Petry is a righty and most likely a lefty would be going out. Also, Sekera is a Czech, like #68!

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
How bout taking a run at Myers?
Under the right tutelage he would be an awesome D-Man.

Maata-Letang
Despres-Myers
Pouliot-Harrington/Bort

as a near future D.

Last edited:

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
How bout taking a run at Myers?
Under the right tutelage he would be an awesome D-Man.

Maata-Letang
Despres-Myers
Pouliot-Harrington/Bort

as a near future D.

Defenses that young usually do not have a lot of success. It's alright to have a few vets.

penguins2946*

Agree with your concept. However, I go 1 step further in that I'd try for both Petry and Sekera, if Ehrhoff injury looks long term. I would not be opposed to moving Bortuzzo and Martin. Bortuzzo because the others are better, and Martin for cap relief.

Eh I feel like trading one of Martin or Ehrhoff just to bring in another D is redundant. If we're going to trade for a D, just make a move for 1.

I wonder how sweet Kessel would be here along Malkin, but sadly, I don't think there's any way we could fit an $8 million winger to our lineup.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If we dropped Ehrhoff AND Martin I would be for getting Sekera.

Issue is, both Sekera and Petry will cash in during free agency. If we want them, we have to get them at or before the TDL, which means assets. What assets to do we have...that would get them and not cost us in the future.

Would be awesome to send a package to Carolina for Tlusty and Sekera. Kunitz+Bennett for Tlusty+Sekera+2nd conditional on their resigning?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Eh I feel like trading one of Martin or Ehrhoff just to bring in another D is redundant. If we're going to trade for a D, just make a move for 1.

I wonder how sweet Kessel would be here along Malkin, but sadly, I don't think there's any way we could fit an $8 million winger to our lineup.

there is, but it entails playing a fourth and some of a third line and maybe the bottom pairing D with young, cost controlled players... which this team would never be willing to do

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
If we dropped Ehrhoff AND Martin I would be for getting Sekera.

Issue is, both Sekera and Petry will cash in during free agency. If we want them, we have to get them at or before the TDL, which means assets. What assets to do we have...that would get them and not cost us in the future.

Would be awesome to send a package to Carolina for Tlusty and Sekera. Kunitz+Bennett for Tlusty+Sekera+2nd conditional on their resigning?

No thanks.

penguins2946*

there is, but it entails playing a fourth and some of a third line and maybe the bottom pairing D with young, cost controlled players... which this team would never be willing to do

With Kessel in (I'm assuming it would take Bennett and Pouliot as a base) and Scuderi and Kunitz out, we'd have a base roster for next year of:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
XXXX-Malkin-Kessel
Spaling-Sutter-XXXX
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Maatta-Letang
Despres-XXXX
XXXX-XXXX

Fleury-XXXX

That lineup overall costs $54.6 million already, which only leaves us with around $16.4 million in cap space to bring in a 2nd line winger, 2 3rd line wingers, 2 4th line wingers, 3 bottom-4 D and a backup goalie. I don't think we could do that, not even close. We might be able to do it if Downie and Comeau re-sign for like $2.5 million and Lapierre for like $1 million, we get someone like Petry in free agency for like $4 million and we fill out the rest of the roster with cheap young players (like Sundqvist and Rust for the 4th line and Harrington and Bortuzzo on the bottom pair). Our depth would suck though and we'd still have Comeau in our top-6.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
We don't need/can't afford someone at Kessel's level unless we draft them.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
The one guy I love is Sekac from Montreal. Being badly misused on that team and he's a terrific player.

Anyone know if the Pens were ever in on him? 12 teams wanted him in the summer.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
D-men wise I doubt that the Pens could or would want to afford Sekera (either at TDL or UFA) or Myers. Re-signing one of Martin and Ehrhoff or going after someone like Petry would be fine.

Pens also don't need an $8 million per winger.

The one guy I love is Sekac from Montreal. Being badly misused on that team and he's a terrific player.

Anyone know if the Pens were ever in on him? 12 teams wanted him in the summer.

No idea, but I hope the Pens revamp their scouting department.

Maybe all the failures in the draft outside of the high rounds might be on Shero, but my guess is that the scouting isn't good particularly in outside of the US and in Europe.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sekera makes no sense. Rutherford would a complete idiot to give up assets to acquire yet another small puck-moving d-man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad