Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XXIII : Does Kunitz want out? Could we be so lucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like Spaling can be an effective 3rd line center. Not as good as Staal but certainly a little better than Sutter and a LOT cheaper to boot. He can certainly hit 35 points with adequate linemates like Bennett, Downie, etc.

That, and a fourth line that can skate and hit and chip in around 20 goals would be the best bottom six we've seen in some time.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
How I miss Staal. Before he wanted to be a scoring center he was the perfect 3rd line center. Played well in big games and was just smothering defensively. HE was tough to play against, reminded me of Holik when he was with the Devils. Had the size the Pens sorely lack now too.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I feel like Spaling can be an effective 3rd line center. Not as good as Staal but certainly a little better than Sutter and a LOT cheaper to boot. He can certainly hit 35 points with adequate linemates like Bennett, Downie, etc.

That, and a fourth line that can skate and hit and chip in around 20 goals would be the best bottom six we've seen in some time.

Spaling has looked 10x better than Sutter. At least Spaling shows he has some life out there and exerts effort when there's little space to try to get through to make plays. Sutter on the other hand continues to look like a limp dick.

Pens LDC (Limp Dick crew): Sutter, Kunitz, Adams, Sill, anyone else?

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Spaling has looked 10x better than Sutter. At least Spaling shows he has some life out there and exerts effort when there's little space to try to get through to make plays. Sutter on the other hand continues to look like a limp dick.

Agreed on spaling. I think the last little while he has looked much better IMO. He is using his body more in the offensive zone and just generally noticeable. He coverage in his own end has always been pretty good. I'd like to see him as the 3rd line center for an extended time

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
After the Penguins fumbledicked their way to a win against the sad-sack Devils the game before this latest stinker, somebody popped their head into the GDT and said something like "I can't believe some of you idiots want to trade Sutter -- he's one of the best players on the team!"

One of the best players on the team.

I nearly honked all over my keyboard.

This guy can't get off my favorite team fast enough. He can take Kunitz to whatever poor team he's going to -- gratis.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
With the string of massive stinkers in the last 10 games or so there HAS to be another significant move coming from old man river, very soon, eh?

They are just playing unacceptable, uninspired hockey, injuries be damned.

Pens need to add a few guys to this team with some life. Guys like Kane, Chris Neil, and a few others in that mold. We have too many passengers on this team and not enough guys who want to be a driver or guys who will their way to win battles.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria

I really like Spaling sometimes it takes time when coming to a new team/system.

I wouldn't put Sill in that group. He might not be the most skilled guy but he plays with heart and has played like a decent 4th liner of late.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
As I said, he's taken a step back. I don't think it's a precipitous as you and the groupthink here do however. I think many here don't understand what's going on with him. Wait till the playoffs, or slightly before. He may not be the CK who came here in 2009, but he's not washed up just yet.

I can only hope his playoff run is in colors other than black and gold.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010

I wouldn't put Sill in that group. He might not be the most skilled guy but he plays with heart and has played like a decent 4th liner of late.

While I think Sill has been a bit better of late, the amount of grit abs sandpaper he has provided hasn't really been on display

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Scuderi? It feels like he only started giving a **** after getting poked in the eye against the Flyers. Sutter could be better but it requires tough love which they won't do to him because he's too important.

Sill has done way more LDCing than playing with heart, him being an acceptable 4th liner (in a different situation because Sadams and I'd still aim higher) is a relatively new occurrence this season.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Scuderi. All gotta go.

Maybe package Sutter and Kunitz for an underperforming and overpaid O'Reilly. And pay some doctor to fail Scuderi's physical in training camp.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I've started to really want Hanzal centering the 3rd line, even though I don't think acquiring him would be feasible.

I wish we could find a way to get Jordan back. We miss his possession game bad. Our current 3rd line is always playing in our own end, far too much compared to our opponents.

lmfl123

Jan 25, 2015
Re:

I have to say that I hope we are selling this deadline. I think this team needs more than a few pieces to be in real consideration for a cup. Seems like a lot of our problems are between the ears and I do not think it is realistic to have cup aspirations at this point. We actually might do better going into it as a team that probably won't do much but could be "dangerous".

Just my 2 cents and I have to admit that I don't get to watch much. But I am a long time fan and feel we are definitely more than a Dwight mathiasen away. :)-

ObsessedCreative*

Hmmm maybe thats why the organization hates Beau... they are all pissed off at him because hes the only one that can get a Beauner?!

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Thread is over 1000 posts...

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Except Hornqvist has played LW, and has said himself that he can easily play either wing.

Hornqvist may have played a little LW, but he is not the same there. The same is true with Perron, who can play on the RW; but is much more comfortable and confident on the left side.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Hornqvist may have played a little LW, but he is not the same there. The same is true with Perron, who can play on the RW; but is much more comfortable and confident on the left side.

I don't think anyone can figure out why we haven't been running Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist the past few games. I don't think they tried it once today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad