2014-15 Rangers Forwards

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Please talk about Rangers forwards here. Please note our updated policy on player discussion.

In order to stop the creation of endless threads and pages of irrelevant discussion, we will be adjusting our player discussion policy to coincide with the beginning of the 2014-15 regular season. Threads will be created for very general discussion by position (forwards, defense, goaltending, coaching), but separate threads will be kept for trade/roster speculation, injury discussion (properly tagged), and milestone achievements. Player discussion as a whole will be more strictly moderated than it has been in the past in order to avoid nuisance topics or threads for each individual member of the team, but all previous discussions will still be searchable.

Of course, any and all additional feedback is welcome in PM or email form.

Thanks.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I am hopeful that Moore and Stempniak grow some solid chemistry this season. I think they play similar games and I think people are going to learn to love the subtle nuances of his (Stempniak's) game. Good speed. Good shot. Good positioning. Good PKer.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
I am hopeful that Moore and Stempniak grow some solid chemistry this season. I think they play similar games and I think people are going to learn to love the subtle nuances of his (Stempniak's) game. Good speed. Good shot. Good positioning. Good PKer.

Agreed, and I love the symmetry they share with Fast, who I think ends up on that line after early-season shuffling/Stepan's return.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Sather's job this off-season was to
1. Retain as much as of the core that made it to SCF as possible (with cap constraint working against him),
2. Address PPQ and size/speed down the middle, and
3. Address prospect pool depth given loss of draft picks from recent trades.

People had to realize that when a team makes it this far in play-offs - it means there were virtually no passengers and quite a few (mainly role) players exceeded what was expected of them in their roles. Losing Poo, Boyle, trading Dorsett (and even Stralman and Richards to some extent) should be viewed as losing good role players who were replaced, at least on paper, with players who could match the outgoing performance or even provide a better fit for the system or addressing a need (D Boyle for PPQ falls into this category).

We all know what Sather did with getting quality college UFAs to address the 3 point above.

Overall, my only concern is unresolved Staal situation. I think management wants to keep him long term as part of the core. Giving him long term contract, doing the same mid-season for Zuke and after the season for Stepan should be the remaining priorities. I mentioned it months ago so without being annoying I think Hagelin will be a cap casualty that should bring quality picks / prospects in return and who will be replaced with our up-and-coming prospects.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Not trying to be a dick, but if the complaint was it being hard to find the relevant information you're looking for, and it being annoying to sift through information you don't want to read, why would the answer to put all discussion for every single player in one thread?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think we'll be a good team this year. The new guys that made the team, I'd rank them in this way:

Boyle > Stralman offensively far and away. Guys know how to put up points
Boyle < Stralman defensively, but at worst a small step back... Definitely is still a net positive, as Boyle can still skate well (reminds me of McDonagh with his stride, not necessarily his speed). He cannot PK, but Stralman hardly did neither.

Boyle > Richards @ 5v4/PPQB... Dan Boyle scored 18 points on the Power Play last season, eerily similar to Richards 19 points. He was -8 (as was Richards, see below) last season, however we also know that he had a concussion which hindered his play half way through the season. On top of the stats, the eye test this preseason shows Boyle to be a MUCH more competent PPQB over Richards.

Miller = Richards @ 5v5... Richards scored 19 of his 51 points on the Power Play last season. Coincidentally, he was also a -8 last season, indicating he was atrocious defensively... Richards scored 32 points at 5v5 play, therefore we're realistically expecting Miller to score ~25 points, and that is in no way a long shot considering his play in the AHL last season, as well as this preseason. I see him replacing Richards 32 ES points with no issues

Glass = Dorsett.. both <10 point players that are in a checking role. Glass was also $200k cheaper, knows AV and his system, therefore reducing his learning curve.

Brian Boyle > Stempniak... This is probably the biggest loss this offseason. However, one can realize that as a role player (which is what Boyle was), I see these being equal as the season progresses, and Stempniak becomes adjusted to the coaching staff, system, and Dominic Moore. Stempniak, like Boyle, is not great at anything, but he is good at everything.

Malone = Pouliot. both 20-30 point guys

Duclair > Pouliot if he makes and sticks on the roster

Fast > Carcillo in terms of hockey skills (not goonery). Great for the 4th line...
Fast > Pouliot IMO... I just see Fast breaking out offensively especially after a great camp. It doesn't hurt to try him on the Brass-Zucc line.

Hayes = Boyle in terms of a role player. If hayes does stick, I see no reason why he isn't a 4th line replacement for Boyle this season. I do think his ceiling is a very good 3C IMO.

When you break it down like this, the biggest non-offset loss RIGHT NOW was Brian Boyle. The smallest non-offset loss was Beniot Pouliot, and even then he is inconsistent as an overall player (anyone watching his Oilers preseason games can agree)...

Anyone calling the Rangers a fluke after considering the above is either a homer, uninformed, or just hates the Rangers (leaning towards to far latter)

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Not trying to be a dick, but if the complaint was it being hard to find the relevant information you're looking for, and it being annoying to sift through information you don't want to read, why would the answer to put all discussion for every single player in one thread?

I think it would be best to just PM one of the mods to discuss it.

In terms of how Sather did this offseason, I think he did a great job refilling the spots we lost. Bringing in Hayes and Haggerty was a significant boost to our prospect depth. Hopefully we start holding onto our first round picks moving forward though :laugh:

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011

It's still being discussed on the side. We may come out with updates on how best to find stuff between now and tomorrow. Thanks for bearing with us. :)

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Yeah, again, that wasn't meant to sound snarky or anything. Was genuinely curious!

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Well, one more night and we finally get going again. After an amazing season last year, I really hope the players filled up their energy tanks and are ready to go big time! It would be ignorant not to expect tough streches down the road in the reg. season. But I think a strong start could help us well. The team has jump and our speed will kill, unless the scoring goes down the gutter. The age old question with our team remains, ey? The D and G is bound to be great again, but what about the offense. The PP and Nash are in the hot seat. We need them to get going early and not stopping midway through the season. It would make our lives much easier. No question we'll make the POs imo.

Individual players:

Step - had we had one season where he was ready from the get go? Granted this time is a rather serious injury, not contract bs or bad conditioning. We'll have to wait and see, the jury is still out there, for me at least. He has to cme back and contribute immediately. Unless we somehow stabilize at center and that could give Step some more time to get back to topform.

Zucc - expecting nothing less of a great season. 60 pts or disappointment. I'm gonna be truthful, I can see him having a slump year.

Brass - I think this is the year we'll truly see what he is up to. It can go either way with him. Small and soft, don't like that part. He has to put up point.

MSL - Well, his first full season with the NYR. He's got the speed, vision, hands, experience and much much more. Hope he stays heathly and unpredictable. His play will/should make a difference.

Nash - oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. I don't think I can take one more disappointing season from him. And he's mostly been just that to me. I watched so many games over the last 2-3 years. The occasional big hit or ubermove and score won't pull me out of my seat anymore. He needs to catch fire and burn opponents. Sadly, I believe he's not capable of doing what we need him to be with his cap-hit.

Stepniak - looking forward to him. Could be another Dom. Moore situation. Fast, responsible, experienced guy. Could only help, I hope.

Fast - loved what I saw in preseason. Convinced me that he is ready and should stay. Looking forward to his speed and balanced game. TWF, a little small in size, but he can play big!

Girardy - To me he is the ticking time bomb on this team. I'd trade him tbh. His cap is higher than it needs to be. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the sacrifice he gives on the defensive part of the ice, but that's it. It is sacrifice. Very few goals, a stupendous inaccuracy from the point, terrible puckhandling and passing under pressure. I swear if I see him on the PP this season, I'm throwing myself out of the window. (I live on the first floor, chill) But hey, new season, new chance, he maybe surprize me.

Staal - to me he is solid, still finding his game, no wonder after the injuries. His offensive game declined though ... a shame. Thought he'd develope that too. Has to be resigned imo ...

Klein - love the guy. Just doens't stand out, negatively or positively, which is perfect tbh. Reasonable cap, solid player. Should stay most def.!

J. Moore - let's see if he can step up his game. We know what he can and can not do, his time to surprize us. Want him on the PP.

D. Moore - what is there to say? He rules, period. Has a ceratin job, does that job nicely.

Kreider - oh boy. He has to bring it. Looking forward to hits, speed, goals, defensive plays, offensive plays, getting tripped up into goalies, throwing around Cid ... all of it!

Talbot - His to prove. It is all his to prove. Another very solid back-up season and he might be gone. Similar to Scrivens, anybody see that?

Hank - Keep doing what you do, except playing the puck :D ... seriously, I wonder if he can up his game a bad bit more. Just a little pinch. I think he peaked already, hope I'm wrong. Needless to say we have a top 3 goalie in the league. Or do we? He doesn't have much time to prove he is the best. Next 3 years, that's the window, max.!

D.Boyle - typical Rangers pick up. Hopefully he won't have the same fate like so many other FA that came to NY.

McD - the Captain. The real, one and only captain for this team! Expecting another brilliant season. Best cap hit in the league maybe.

McI - hope to see him at some point. He is quite ready to me. His presence is amazing.

Hayes - needs a little more developement in the AHL. No news. He good.

Miller - the boy is ready, show us you tha man!!! Really looking forward to him.

Hags - Speed kills. Unfortunately he mostly kills himself. Solid two-way forward. He is tradeable to me.

Lombardy - ? Dunno ... he has to show.

Malone - his time to perform.

Glass - solid 4th liner so far. Keep it up!

Hunwick - loved what I saw in ps. Speed and grit. Solid 7th dman.

Last but not least, the promised one, the stallion who mounts the world, nobel peace prize winner and president of the USA:

Anthony "Tony D the Duke" Duclair - Snipe it, you just keep sniping boy. Want to see much much more from him. It'll be tough though. He will have to show us soon enough.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
The media has, of course, overblown the Rangers' offseason losses completely.

Dan Boyle > Anton Stralman.

I can not believe that this is even talked about. Anton Stralman is a nice player. Dan Boyle is a borderline HOFer. Yes, you heard that right. Top 20 in Norris voting 8 times. Top 10 3 times. The backbone on the blue line for a perennial contender. Will in all likelihood finish in the Top 30 scoring defensemen of all-time, playing in two eras (early 2000s and currently) where goal scoring was down. 13 goals created last year to Stralman's 4.

Lee Stempniak > Brian Boyle.

At least in an AV system. Yea, I understand why in Torts' system Brian Boyle got a ton of minutes. Boyle can be a useful player, but he is hardly impact, and has hands of stone. He's a decent 4th liner. Stempniak could be an incredible 4th liner.

And apparently Beniot Pouliot is Wayne Gretzky. I would've made a better effort to sign him last year after watching the chemistry with Zuke and Brass come together, but no way at 5yrs/20mill.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The media has, of course, overblown the Rangers' offseason losses completely.

Dan Boyle > Anton Stralman.

I can not believe that this is even talked about. Anton Stralman is a nice player. Dan Boyle is a borderline HOFer. Yes, you heard that right. Top 20 in Norris voting 8 times. Top 10 3 times. The backbone on the blue line for a perennial contender. Will in all likelihood finish in the Top 30 scoring defensemen of all-time, playing in two eras (early 2000s and currently) where goal scoring was down. 13 goals created last year to Stralman's 4.

Lee Stempniak > Brian Boyle.

At least in an AV system. Yea, I understand why in Torts' system Brian Boyle got a ton of minutes. Boyle can be a useful player, but he is hardly impact, and has hands of stone. He's a decent 4th liner. Stempniak could be an incredible 4th liner.

And apparently Beniot Pouliot is Wayne Gretzky. I would've made a better effort to sign him last year after watching the chemistry with Zuke and Brass come together, but no way at 5yrs/20mill.

Boyle is 38. He isn't the same player he was when he was younger. He'll replace Richard's production on the PP, but how effective will he be at even strength? Stempniak brings more offense, but he doesn't add size or take faceoffs. Pouliot added size and skill and was part of our best line. He's being replaced by a rookie (take your pick).

I think it's too early to call any of those players upgrades.

Championship*

Are we using this thread for trade discussion/rumors as well?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I dont think these 2 guys are comparable. Different players, different roles.

If you ask me what guy right now the Rangers will miss the most, its Brian Boyle.

I agree. Apart from Henrik and McDonagh Brian Boyle was our best penalty killer. He was a guy you could plug into a whole lot of different situations. I expect Dan Boyle's offense to offset Anton Stralman's somewhat better defense. Pouliot was a loss but he's an inconsistent player who takes too many goofy penalties. If Duclair keeps it going nobody is going to remember him. Decent chance he's going to be replaced by a 19 year old.

Richards was addition by subtraction. I like Glass better than Dorsett. Skates pretty well--bigger, tougher than Dorsett--if he can help the pk--well Dorsett wasn't doing that.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I dont think these 2 guys are comparable. Different players, different roles.

If you ask me what guy right now the Rangers will miss the most, its Brian Boyle.

I happen to agree with you BRB (and that is rare :) )

Brian Boyle was a whipping boy on these boards for far too long. He provided valuable defensive play, could be counted upon to single handedly kill some penalties and, although he didn't use it very well his size was important.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I happen to agree with you BRB (and that is rare :) )

Brian Boyle was a whipping boy on these boards for far too long. He provided valuable defensive play, could be counted upon to single handedly kill some penalties and, although he didn't use it very well his size was important.

The only thing I think he lacked, and that will improve, is that our PK will be more dangerous short-handed this year without him. More MSL, MZA, Hagelin, Fast = more quickness.

bscharf

Jan 28, 2010
I am very excited by what I saw from Malone this preseason. Think we'll see him score 15 goals if healthy all year (for a fraction of the cost of pouliot)

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Boyle is 38. He isn't the same player he was when he was younger. He'll replace Richard's production on the PP, but how effective will he be at even strength? Stempniak brings more offense, but he doesn't add size or take faceoffs. Pouliot added size and skill and was part of our best line. He's being replaced by a rookie (take your pick).

I think it's too early to call any of those players upgrades.
Fully agree. And Boyle's production on the PP of the Sharks was questionable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad