2014-15 Rangers Coaching Staff and GM Discussion

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Please talk about Rangers coaches here. Please note our updated policy on player discussion.

In order to stop the creation of endless threads and pages of irrelevant discussion, we will be adjusting our player discussion policy to coincide with the beginning of the 2014-15 regular season. Threads will be created for very general discussion by position (forwards, defense, goaltending, coaching), but separate threads will be kept for trade/roster speculation, injury discussion (properly tagged), and milestone achievements. Player discussion as a whole will be more strictly moderated than it has been in the past in order to avoid nuisance topics or threads for each individual member of the team, but all previous discussions will still be searchable.

Of course, any and all additional feedback is welcome in PM or email form.

Thanks.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Can't believe I wanted Lindy Ruff and Larry Robinson as the head coach of this team over AV. I ate my crow last season - but I still can't believe it :laugh: At least I knew to avoid Eakins :p:

AV and his staff have blown me away. I'm very happy that Arniel and Samuelsson are both in tow, but I know they'll probably get their shots soon.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Can't believe I wanted Lindy Ruff and Larry Robinson as the head coach of this team over AV. I ate my crow last season - but I still can't believe it :laugh: At least I knew to avoid Eakins :p:

AV and his staff have blown me away. I'm very happy that Arniel and Samuelsson are both in tow, but I know they'll probably get their shots soon.

I have to admit that I was fired up about Eakins for a very, very short while ( I did come back to my senses). It just goes to show though why experience matters. As much of a mess as EDM is I think Eakins has most definitely made it worse.

AV on the other hand took a team that was fractured IMO and completely turned things around.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I thought I heard on NHL Network recently that at one point in the league it was common for teams to have 3 assistant coaches behind the bench? That just seems like overkill to me. You don't need 4 coaches to manage 22 players...

I kinda liked how we went with one head coach and one assistant coach for a period of time....

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I thought I heard on NHL Network recently that at one point in the league it was common for teams to have 3 assistant coaches behind the bench? That just seems like overkill to me. You don't need 4 coaches to manage 22 players...

I kinda liked how we went with one head coach and one assistant coach for a period of time....

You and Torts are two peas in a pond. Granted, I didn't mind that either.

Rammer's gotta be basically a coach at this point anyway :laugh:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I actually liked the AV signing when it was made… he seemed like he might be the perfect breath of fresh air to follow a coach like Tortorella. After 5 games I was sounding the alarm though… patience wasn't exactly my strong suit.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Personally, I think the Rangers would have been fine with Eakins. AV is a very, very good coach, but he was coming into a lot more sound of a situation than the one out in Edmonton. The team would have been fine with Ruff too.

I enjoy AV's personality as much as the style he asks the team to play. That being said, I have a small concern with the fact that he's lost two SCFs primarily off a problem with the mental aspect of the game (total, complete game, collapses in Vancouver, blown leads with us). I'm inclined to think it's just coincidence, but still...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I remember wanting Eakins and AV was a not so much. I definitely didn't want Ruff. Now I'm happy that AV got the job.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Personally, I think the Rangers would have been fine with Eakins. AV is a very, very good coach, but he was coming into a lot more sound of a situation than the one out in Edmonton. The team would have been fine with Ruff too.

I enjoy AV's personality as much as the style he asks the team to play. That being said, I have a small concern with the fact that he's lost two SCFs primarily off a problem with the mental aspect of the game (total, complete game, collapses in Vancouver, blown leads with us). I'm inclined to think it's just coincidence, but still...

I don't really get this…

You have concerns about AV, but you would have been fine with Eakins. Eakins has never had the experience of coaching an NHL team to a winning record.

AV has lost 2 SCF's, but he's also been to 2 SCF's. How can the mental area concern you? They lost in the finals (mostly in OT - let's be honest LAK's are just superior), but just looking at last season they won a 7 game series against Phily, they came back from a 3-1 deficit to beat Pitt, and they won an elimination game 1-0 right after being shellacked by MTL where their star goalie was pulled. As far as the LAK series, I think it came down to a bigger more talented team just straight up playing better hockey. I don't see any part of that series being a mental collapse.

I think this teams mental outlook is a major strong suit. It takes a lot to come back from a 3-1 deficit. That's not entirely the coach - obviously - but you have to think he plays a part.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't really get this…

You have concerns about AV, but you would have been fine with Eakins. Eakins has never had the experience of coaching an NHL team to a winning record.

AV has lost 2 SCF's, but he's also been to 2 SCF's. How can the mental area concern you? They lost in the finals (mostly in OT - let's be honest LAK's are just superior), but just looking at last season they won a 7 game series against Phily, they came back from a 3-1 deficit to beat Pitt, and they won an elimination game 1-0 right after being shellacked by MTL where there star goalie was pulled.

I think this teams mental outlook is a major strong suit. It takes a lot to come back from a 3-1 deficit. That's not entirely the coach - obviously - but you have to think he plays a part.

The stakes get higher and higher as the playoffs progress. None of those other events took place when the stakes were as high as when his teams experienced some mental breakdowns. The higher the stakes, the more pressure and the more likely those problems become. ECF, MDF, MSF =/= SCF.

I said the team would have been fine with Eakins. I'm happy with AV as coach. It's a minor concern, in all. The Rangers real strength is their goaltending and defense. It would take a particularly poor coach to screw up those things and Eakins is not a particularly poor coach.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
The stakes get higher and higher as the playoffs progress. None of those other events took place when the stakes were as high as when his teams experienced some mental breakdowns. The higher the stakes, the more pressure and the more likely those problems become. ECF, MDF, MSF =/= SCF.

I said the team would have been fine with Eakins. I'm happy with AV as coach. It's a minor concern, in all. The Rangers real strength is their goaltending and defense. It would take a particularly poor coach to screw up those things and Eakins is not a particularly poor coach.

Eakins is a fantastically awful coach

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I wanted Dallas Eakins last year. I'm so glad I wasn't the one making that decision

I also ate crow with AV last year. Hopefully he can do it again. I think its key that Arniel and Samuelsson stayed on. The continuity can't hurt.

I would take Eakins over Gernander though. That's his level. Hopefully Johnston gets available too. Glad we only have issue with the AHL coaching now. Isn't that nice? I'd rather give Chris Drury a shot. He must have some free time.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I also ate crow with AV last year. Hopefully he can do it again. I think its key that Arniel and Samuelsson stayed on. The continuity can't hurt.

I would take Eakins over Gernander though. That's his level. Hopefully Johnston gets available too. Glad we only have issue with the AHL coaching now. Isn't that nice? I'd rather give Chris Drury a shot. He must have some free time.

I dont know how Gernander still has that job. Drury too busy making pizza.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

I completely disagree… the fact that they didn't win the cup didn't mean that they had a mental collapse. The team faced a ton of adversity through the playoffs, and powered through at every stretch. LAK's were just a better team. Sometimes that happens. However to say that was a mental breakdown after the way they came back against Pitt, and powered through MTL is just something I don't agree with.

Hopefully AV gets a 3rd crack this year!

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I dont know how Gernander still has that job. Drury too busy making pizza.

I really think Gernander could be upgraded. My favorite coach in juniors was Mike Johnston unfortunately but he definitely could bomb out in Pittsburgh and be looking for work if Crosby doesn't like him. I don't think he has as long a leash as Desjardins in Vancouver for example. There a lot of really good proven junior coaches on the hot seat that you could kick the tires on like Eakins if they get canned.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
We hired the best coach out there who turned out to be a great fit as well for how the team is trending, couldn't be happier. I know it's sacrilege to say but one has to wonder what a train wreck the messier situation could have been. The continuity and timing of our last 3 coaches has been great, I thought that Renney and Torts each took the team in a direction that was needed at the time given the circumstances and now we need AV to go further. Speaking of train wrecks So long to the Tonelli, Low days.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Really like AV. Good coach and seems like a good guy, comes off very pleasant.

Great job by Slats this off-season.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'll eat the crow on this one. I wasn't behind him when the choice was made, but I can't even begin to argue with what he's done here in a short time.

Before last nights game Hitch said:

“The Rangers know how to win. Going through what New York went through last year, especially the way Alain built it up, they had a tough start, tough schedule. He built it up real strong at the end of the year and they had great chemistry, they found a reason to compete and play for each other. That’s a tough nut. That core is back. I told our players today we’re in for a real challenge. They just don’t have speed and skill. They’ve got moxie to them. That’s what I think our players are looking forward to. We think we’ve got moxie and gamesmanship, and we know they do after watching them in the playoffs.â€

I think he hit the nail on the head. AV turned this team's play style around completely without huge roster turnover, and without alienating the guys who didn't fit the mold on the surface. I still think Torts did a lot in terms of teaching these guys to play for one another, and how to think and act as a team in the truest sense, but AV's ability to maintain that, and build on it, while also giving everyone more offensive responsibility and room to be creative, is really something to behold.

People get way, way too down on this team around here. I've always thought Hitch was a pretty smart guy if nothing else, and I think his comments here were right on. This team knows how to win and how to play for one another. AV is a huge, huge part of that.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'll eat the crow on this one. I wasn't behind him when the choice was made, but I can't even begin to argue with what he's done here in a short time.

Before last nights game Hitch said:

“The Rangers know how to win. Going through what New York went through last year, especially the way Alain built it up, they had a tough start, tough schedule. He built it up real strong at the end of the year and they had great chemistry, they found a reason to compete and play for each other. That’s a tough nut. That core is back. I told our players today we’re in for a real challenge. They just don’t have speed and skill. They’ve got moxie to them. That’s what I think our players are looking forward to. We think we’ve got moxie and gamesmanship, and we know they do after watching them in the playoffs.â€

I think he hit the nail on the head. AV turned this team's play style around completely without huge roster turnover, and without alienating the guys who didn't fit the mold on the surface. I still think Torts did a lot in terms of teaching these guys to play for one another, and how to think and act as a team in the truest sense, but AV's ability to maintain that, and build on it, while also giving everyone more offensive responsibility and room to be creative, is really something to behold.

People get way, way too down on this team around here. I've always thought Hitch was a pretty smart guy if nothing else, and I think his comments here were right on. This team knows how to win and how to play for one another. AV is a huge, huge part of that.

That's a great quote from Hitch. It also points to one of the reasons why I believe the people who predict that the Rangers are not going to make the playoffs have really missed the boat on them. Opening night was a carbon copy of many of the Ranger wins on the road last year. This core group has developed a mentality that allows them to play in tough spots on the road, and they know how to weather the storm when needed. In a supposedly wide open Eastern Conference, that gives them an edge over the majority of their rivals.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00