2014-15 NHL Rule Changes

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
Don't understand the trapezoid thing. If you're going to expand it that much, just get rid of it.

Like the overtime changes. The long change will surely lead to more scoring opportunities and games that actually end in OT instead of going to a shootout.

Do not like the changes to the tripping rules at all. One of the most thrilling things in hockey is the one on one battle between a shooter and a defender barreling towards the net and seeing the defender make a beautiful desperation diving play to knock the puck away. If he gets puck first, there should not be a penalty. Same thing as if two guys are racing to a loose puck. If you hit the guy instead of getting the loose puck, it's a penalty. Puck first it's fine. This change is asinine.

I think the diving supplementary discipline is going to open a huge can of worms. I'm not sure the league realizes what they're getting into with this. But I could be wrong.

I was hoping the NHL wasn't going to follow suit to the NFL and screw the game up with more penalties that favor offensive players and put defenders at a disadvantage. Reason why I'm mad about this tripping thing. More penalties makes the game WORSE.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Changes I like:
- No spinorama in the shootout....it's cheesy and the puck does stop forward progress. Shoulda been done a while ago
- bigger trapezoid...though IMO the whole trapezoid thing was dumb from the start. If your goalie can't play the puck that well...well sucks to be you. Get your goalie coach to work on it with him
- Long change in OT. I guess it's fair. Home team already gets 40 minutes of short change, an extra 5 to the visitors isn't horrible

Thinks I don't like:
- Change to the tripping penalty. Gonna be a lot more tripping calls now I guess and all those great desperation plays by the D will now be penalized. Lame

The one thing I found odd was the mention of interference in the game misconducts part. Has anyone ever seen a major or a game misconduct for interference?

Alaska

40 Below
Jul 25, 2012
Fairbanks, AK
"The rule relating to "Tripping" will be revised to specifically provide that a two minute minor penalty will be assessed when a defending player "dives" and trips an attacking player with his body/arm/shoulder, regardless of whether the defending player is able to make initial contact with the puck.

But, in situations where a penalty shot might otherwise be appropriate, if the defending player "dives" and touches the puck first (before the trip), no penalty shot will be awarded. (In such cases, the resulting penalty will be limited to a two-minute minor penalty for tripping.)"

BS rule..... Touch the puck, legit play.... Player first, 2 min minor...

Here is another beef I have.... If they call dive/embelishment...was there a 2 min minor penalty committed to cause the diver to embellish in the first place?

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
Rule 76 – Face-offs

To curb delay tactics on face-offs after icing infractions, in situations where the defending team is guilty of a face-off violation, following an icing, the defending player who is initially lined up for the face-off will be given a warning, but will be required to remain in the circle to take the face-off. A second face-off violation by the defending team in such situation will result in a two minute minor bench penalty.

I found this to be the most interesting. Every team in the league did this. No more will teams be able to give their guys a little bit more of a breather by purposely delaying the faceoff.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
haha spinorama....I am pretty sure that was Brodeur. He HATED that move.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Changes I like:
- No spinorama in the shootout....it's cheesy and the puck does stop forward progress. Shoulda been done a while ago
- bigger trapezoid...though IMO the whole trapezoid thing was dumb from the start. If your goalie can't play the puck that well...well sucks to be you. Get your goalie coach to work on it with him
- Long change in OT. I guess it's fair. Home team already gets 40 minutes of short change, an extra 5 to the visitors isn't horrible

Thinks I don't like:
- Change to the tripping penalty. Gonna be a lot more tripping calls now I guess and all those great desperation plays by the D will now be penalized. Lame

The one thing I found odd was the mention of interference in the game misconducts part. Has anyone ever seen a major or a game misconduct for interference?

Why make my own post, when I can just piggy back on yours?

I agree with you, and I think the OT should also be a 10 minute period.

I also don't like teams being rewarded for missing the net. Pretty well any puck that goes out of play in the offensive zone will have the ensuing face-off in the offensive zone. That is extremely weak.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
haha spinorama....I am pretty sure that was Brodeur. He HATED that move.

In the last game of the season, Bailey did this to Brodeur in the shootout. He was pretty pissed, complained to the ref, and then threw the puck at Bailey's general direction. Then Strome came out and did the exact same move, haha.

I'm glad they got rid of it though. It kinda was BS.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
In the last game of the season, Bailey did this to Brodeur in the shootout. He was pretty pissed, complained to the ref, and then threw the puck at Bailey's general direction. Then Strome came out and did the exact same move, haha.

I think he was OK with Strome scoring on him like that, but when Bailey scores on any goalie in any fashion. it's a personal insult. ;)

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA

You're right. It was Bailey Strome. And it was kinda hilarious:laugh:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
LOL, Brodeur....

Sleeping with your sister in law, totally ok.

Getting scored on with the spin O rama.... an unpardonable sin.

But I don't mind it going away. It is a cheap theatric.

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
Rule 24 – Penalty Shot

The 'Spin-O-Rama' move, as described in Section 24.2 of the 2013-14 NHL Rule Book, will no longer be permitted either in Penalty Shot situations or in the Shootout.

Thank the Heavens for this rule change. It was a ridiculously cool move back in the days of Denis Savard, and can occasionally be executed well in the course of a regular game situation. I remember someone on here posting a clip of Patrick Kane pulling this off in fine fashion recently.
When it came to using it in the SO, it was complete junk. The game late in the year (that was meaningless to us) against TB Lightning, we got hosed out of 2 points because of Stamkos' move--full stop but having puck still in motion. I hated that move then and I hated it more when WE utilized it in a disgraceful fashion at the end of the season in SO against Marty Brodeur and the NJDs. I understand it's an intense rivalry and appreciate that aspect, but when all of our guys selected for the SO executed that cheap move it was a disgrace not just to a HOFer like Brodeur will be, but to the game. I was pretty pissed.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
I know it's the max allowed per the CBA but a max $5g fine for the diving isn't going to change a thing.

its-something.jpg

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I know it's the max allowed per the CBA but a max $5g fine for the diving isn't going to change a thing.

They won't get rid of diving until they get rid of the entire "matching penalty" part. Too many times I have seen players fall over nothing yet the refs call the dive, and the phantom penalty. I figured it was the refs doing it in protest for the rule change we all know needs to be made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad