Speculation: 2014-15 Grand Rapids Griffin's

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah he won't come over for the AHL in my opinion and we are loaded at center with the big club. Understand people liking him, just think it is a pipe dream.

Yeah, pipe dream is an appropriate word. I think people are just throwing it out there to try and soften the blow of losing Jarnkrok.

I doubt that's in the Red Wings plans very much next year, with the amount of forwards, and specifically centers under contract next year.

Last edited:

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
My best guess to start the season -

Almquist, Callahan, and Ferraro are up with the wings or are in other organizations. The Grifs are losing many players without many coming back so I think Nestrasil and Parkes are re-signed. If the GFG do well in the playoffs, I think Grant and Evans are re-upped too. Those two with Paetsch and Hoggan have provided solid performance and great leadership for the younger players. Nicastro, Fornier, McIntyre, and Emmerton probably move on, but maybe Em stays as insurance. My guess is that we need to sign or trade for 3-4 forwards (preferably centers) as the Grifs usually start the season with 15 or more forwards. Maybe Hirschfeld or Novak but they're not true ctrs, I think AA is a winger. Janmark may start as a ctr. Nasty needs a 4th jr year as he will not be 20 yrs old by Dec 31st, 2014.

Tomas Jurco - Andrej Nestrasil - Teemu Pulkkinen
Anthony Mantha - ? - Martin Frk
Jeff Hoggan - Louis-Marc Aubry - Trevor Parkes
Triston Grant - ? - Andreas Athanasiou
- ? - Mattias Janmark - Marek Tvrdon

defense: GRG usually keep 8 D with 2 real Vets

Xavier Ouellet - Ryan Sproul
Mattias Bäckman - Alexei Marchenko
Richard Nedomlel - Nick Jensen
Nathan Paetsch - Evans

in goal:
Petr Mrazek
Jared Coreau

in Toledo Jake Paterson (so he can play games instead of sitting)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Where's he going to play on a team with Datsyuk, Weiss, Sheahan, Helm, Andersson, and likely/hopefully Legwand under contract?

Seems like there is no room for him, and I highly doubt he wants to go to the AHL and work his way up.

Give him 1-way 900k ELC (automatically waiver-free), and he is nothing but fine in AHL.

With 2-way 67k AHL-salary or something, he bolts for sure back in KHL if there's no NHL spot.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Anthony Mantha - ? - Martin Frk
Jeff Hoggan - Louis-Marc Aubry - Trevor Parkes
Triston Grant - ? - Andreas Athanasiou
- ? - Mattias Janmark - Marek Tvrdon

Hoggan can play center, no? I didn't think they would bring Janmark over earlier this season, but looking at the options now(Jarnkrok traded etc.) they might consider it. If his team is relegated it makes even more sense. The lack of natural centers in that group is interesting nonetheless, perhaps even a bit concerning. Definitely a position we need to restock.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Give him 1-way 900k ELC (automatically waiver-free), and he is nothing but fine in AHL.

With 2-way 67k AHL-salary or something, he bolts for sure back in KHL if there's no NHL spot.

Or just carry him on the NHL roster and shift someone to wing. Wouldn't surprise me if we just went into training camp next year with the same problem we had this year and just wait for injuries to sort it out.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Yes I would love to see Fyodor Malykhin as a Grif or DRW. It would be great if he started the year in GRG but I see why he may not.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

How many Russians leave the KHL to come over and play in the AHL?

I know Marchenko did, but he wasn't as established in the KHL as Malykhin is. And he's 2 years younger.

Would imagine he's making decent money over there, and would only come over for a guaranteed NHL spot.

Anyone know his salary?

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Hoggan can play center, no? I didn't think they would bring Janmark over earlier this season, but looking at the options now(Jarnkrok traded etc.) they might consider it. If his team is relegated it makes even more sense. The lack of natural centers in that group is interesting nonetheless, perhaps even a bit concerning. Definitely a position we need to restock.

I don't know but I seem to remember he has played there,,,maybe in a pinch

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Unless you think Tootoo is getting claimed or the organization will bother with a regular buyout, he should appear on all of these lists, he is in GR next year. Just below the threshold in terms of money for just using our compliance buyout because we can, Toots is riding the bus next year for his 1.9 million.

He will also eat up the third of four veteran contracts, as Paetsch and Hoggan are still under contract next year.

Think we also sign a college free agent or CHL guy that is a center to an AHL only contract in terms of centers. Keep in mind Glendening started as an AHL contract.

I'm almost certain that Tootoo will be traded or bought out this year. I don't think there's a compliance buyout minimum amount as some players that were making less than Tootoo were bought out.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I know Marchenko did, but he wasn't as established in the KHL as Malykhin is. And he's 2 years younger.

Would imagine he's making decent money over there, and would only come over for a guaranteed NHL spot.

Anyone know his salary?

Agreed. Kid is likely getting NHL offers. Maybe long-term if he stays in North America a trip to Grand Rapids would be a good idea but I just can't see it. Thinking about it, the last big European to come over and go to the AHL may be Ville Leino.

Fedor is likely in the NHL next season.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Playing/learning from the new professor Dats is what Fyodor wants...can't do that in GRG

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Agreed. Kid is likely getting NHL offers. Maybe long-term if he stays in North America a trip to Grand Rapids would be a good idea but I just can't see it. Thinking about it, the last big European to come over and go to the AHL may be Ville Leino.

Fedor is likely in the NHL next season.

I'd expect him to be in the NHL or not come over. On the terms of salary that Frk brought up, I don't think it matters. He's likely getting the same (max) offer any NHL team can offer him. He's either willing to play for it in the NHL, or he's not.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Mantha-Glendening-Pulkkinen
Jurco-Janmark-Tvrdon
Nestrasil-Athanasiou-Frk
Hoggan-Aubry-Parkes/Grant

Paetsch-Marchenko
Quellet-Sproul
Nicastro/Nedomlel-Jensen

Mrazek
Coreau

C=Hoggan
A=Paetsch
A=Glendening

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Anyone know his salary?

http://www.sports.ru/hockey/154502348.html

He is not on the TOP90 list and last guy in the list is Fedor Fedorov with 1.3M contract. There isn't also any Yekaterinburg player on the list.

Don't think it's a big money difference he could get in America with a 1-way deal. Yekaterinburg is one of poorest teams down there. Their payroll was ~10 million at last season and that brings average player salary to ~400k range with 25 guys. Malykhin could be the top paid guy there, though, in 1 million range.

But he could get that same, Brunner-style contract (925k max + bonuses) and that 900k is hell of a lot of money. Maybe if some big wealthy KHL club offers more lucrative money that could change things, but still, he has that NHL dream on his mind. And it sounded like it is a pretty strong dream.

This is what I always wonder, people on the message boards try to turn things different than players own will is.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
http://www.sports.ru/hockey/154502348.html

He is not on the TOP90 list and last guy in the list is Fedor Fedorov with 1.3M contract. There isn't also any Yekaterinburg player on the list.

Don't think it's a big money difference he could get in America with a 1-way deal. Yekaterinburg is one of poorest teams down there. Their payroll was ~10 million at last season and that brings average player salary to ~400k range with 25 guys. Malykhin could be the top paid guy there, though, in 1 million range.

But he could get that same, Brunner-style contract (925k max + bonuses) and that 900k is hell of a lot of money. Maybe if some big wealthy KHL club offers more lucrative money that could change things, but still, he has that NHL dream on his mind. And it sounded like it is a pretty strong dream.

This is what I always wonder, people on the message boards try to turn things different than players own will is.

To be honest I did not see that there was an article stating he had a goal of playing in the NHL until I just went looking for it. I thought that was speculation.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
added Glendening, Colin Campbell, and Fyodor Malykhin although I do not think 2 of them will be there - moved a couple people to different lines and it doesn't look like too bad of a team

Anthony Mantha - Fyodor Malykhin - Martin Frk
Jeff Hoggan - Louis-Marc Aubry - Andreas Athanasiou
Triston Grant - Glendening - Trevor Parkes
Colin Campbell - Mattias Janmark - Marek Tvrdon

Xavier Ouellet - Ryan Sproul
Mattias Bäckman - Alexei Marchenko
Richard Nedomlel - Nick Jensen
Nathan Paetsch - Evans

Petr Mrazek
Jared Coreau

Ad