Speculation: 2014-15 Grand Rapids Griffin's

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
How's this team going to shape up?

I've seen a lot of speculation about it in various threads, thought it might be nice to have a single thread for this topic.

For reference: http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/

Janmark?
AA?
Mantha?
McNutly?
Backman?
Nasty?

Are these players up with GR, or back with their teams?

How's the goaltending going to look?

Players that won't be re-signed?

Current players promoted?

etc.

Have at it boys and gals.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nasty and McNulty (God I hope he makes this team for The Wire jokes alone) will both still be in juniors.

Pending graduations, Tvrdon should be back in the fold and not in Toledo I would assume.

I assume Janmark and Backman are coming over, hopefully they have better experience with it than Jarnkrok is rumored to have had. Sounds like Backman has some of those warning signs in terms of coming over that we remember with Jarnkrok, just little hints he might not be super jacked about it, speculative right now though.

Vet signings, I would expect a center to land, maybe they use both Grant and Evans spots on a center. Though that will leave them without a heavy if Nedomlel isn't up to the task or they cannot find a really big guy that can play close to top 6.

Athanasiou or Janmark would ease some of those concerns if our plan is center, both seem more suited for the wing, but could be a part of their long-range development so they have more dimensions to their game.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Nasty and McNulty (God I hope he makes this team for The Wire jokes alone) will both still be in juniors.

Pending graduations, Tvrdon should be back in the fold and not in Toledo I would assume.

I assume Janmark and Backman are coming over, hopefully they have better experience with it than Jarnkrok is rumored to have had. Sounds like Backman has some of those warning signs in terms of coming over that we remember with Jarnkrok, just little hints he might not be super jacked about it, speculative right now though.

Vet signings, I would expect a center to land, maybe they use both Grant and Evans spots on a center. Though that will leave them without a heavy if Nedomlel isn't up to the task or they cannot find a really big guy that can play close to top 6.

Athanasiou or Janmark would ease some of those concerns if our plan is center, both seem more suited for the wing, but could be a part of their long-range development so they have more dimensions to their game.

Thanks for the response. Nasty has been in the OHL 3 years, so they would be sending him back for an overage season. Might not be a bad idea, as he would likely be dealt to a contender.

McNutly, same thing.

I don't know what the Griffin's will do as far as vet's, but there is no doubt in my mind that Nedomlel can replace Evans.

I kinda hope the Wings try to push Janmark and AA to center, strictly because it's a position of need, and both have played it before.(IIRC AA wants to play center rather than wing)

EDIT: What's this about Backman?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thanks for the response. Nasty has been in the OHL 3 years, so they would be sending him back for an overage season. Might not be a bad idea, as he would likely be dealt to a contender.

McNutly, same thing.

I don't know what the Griffin's will do as far as vet's, but there is no doubt in my mind that Nedomlel can replace Evans.

I kinda hope the Wings try to push Janmark and AA to center, strictly because it's a position of need, and both have played it before.(IIRC AA wants to play center rather than wing)

EDIT: What's this about Backman?

They are not of age to go to the AHL next year, both are born on or after January 1st, 1995. Man that makes me feel old writing that date.:cry:

It just means they broke in their first possible year. Overage seasons don't really mean the seasons played it refers to a player over 20 and when they turn that.

Athanasiou was kind of a disaster at center this year in Barrie, have more hope that Janmark can be center if you have to pick between them. Plus a lot of Athanasiou's desire to play one on one is more suited to the wing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Järnkrok --> Nashville organization
Emmerton --> Europe?
Callahan --> promoted
Ferraro --> promoted

Tomas Jurco - Mattias Janmark - Teemu Pulkkinen
Anthony Mantha - Andreas Athanasiou - Martin Frk
Jeff Hoggan - Andrej Nestrasil? - Marek Tvrdon
Triston Grant - Louis-Marc Aubry - Trevor Parkes
13th veteran like McIntyre, 14th veteran

Athanasiou was kind of a disaster at center this year in Barrie, have more hope that Janmark can be center if you have to pick between them. Plus a lot of Athanasiou's desire to play one on one is more suited to the wing.

Still worth to try it. Put Kris Draper to teach him extra or whatever to make it work. :) If it won't work, then it's easy to go back and put AA to wing.

Maybe Nestrasil is next year's "Emmerton". He will lose his waiver eligility, can't see any organization would claim him, but he has looked decent during latest months at Griffins. Maybe it would be a good idea to look him longer. Same with Aubry and Parkes. Would be nice to look these guys longer. Don't know if they over those vet-game limits, though.

Waiver-free Jurco starts down like Nyquist this year, then at some point of the season he's called up and never comes back. Mantha jumps in the 1st line and Tvrdon to 2nd.

At defence:

Almquist promoted, Bäckman arrives. Fournier let walk. Physical Nedomlel replaces physical Evans. I remember Paetsch is already signed for 2-years but Evans only for current season. So Paetsch is the only vet at defence to keep enough spots open for kids.

Xavier Ouellet - Ryan Sproul
Mattias Bäckman - Alexei Marchenko
Richard Nedomlel - Nick Jensen

7th Nathan Paetsch - (Max Nicastro to Toledo)

Petr Mrazek
Jake Paterson
(Jared Coreau to ECHL)

If Gustavsson is re-signed, Mrazek still down. Paterson arrives, McCollum leaves.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Guys with expiring contracts in GR or Toledo

Guys we expect to have maybe some organizational future with the big club. I see Sheahan and Glendening above this group, Luke has the option of being sent down if numbers dictate that or that decision is made.

Landon Ferraro
Mitch Callahan
Adam Almqvist

Longshot but maybe still some interest and likely passing through waivers and staying in GR for a longer look

Tommy McCollum
Andrej Nestrasil (think he will get KHL interest)
Gleason Fournier (might also get strong European interest)
Max Nicastro (I leave this one purely on the notion Blashill leaves and Chelios is named coach)

I doubt they get another contract though

Really no chance

Trevor Parkes
Willie Coetzee

Vet contracts

Triston Grant
Brendan Evans
Drew McIntyre

Emmerton likely leaves for Europe or another organization with an NHL/AHL opportunity.

So a lot of chance for turnover with the current Grand Rapids group.

Tootoo will likely be seen as eating a veteran contract, leaving one planned spot, guessing they sign a guy like McIntyre that is underneath the veteran qualification but has some experience.

Not sure either Fournier or Nicastro has the games played to not fall in this category if they are interested and Backman doesn't come over.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Aubry is under Red Wings contractual control/obligation for an additional year, people often make the mistake of thinking he goes out with this group, he will be in GR next year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Forgot Glendening.

Maybe it goes more like this:

Anthony Mantha - Andrej Nestrasil? - Martin Frk
Andreas Athanasiou - Luke Glendening - Marek Tvrdon
Triston Grant - Louis-Marc Aubry - Jeff Hoggan

13th veteran like McIntyre, 14th veteran/or Parkes

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Unless you think Tootoo is getting claimed or the organization will bother with a regular buyout, he should appear on all of these lists, he is in GR next year. Just below the threshold in terms of money for just using our compliance buyout because we can, Toots is riding the bus next year for his 1.9 million.

He will also eat up the third of four veteran contracts, as Paetsch and Hoggan are still under contract next year.

Think we also sign a college free agent or CHL guy that is a center to an AHL only contract in terms of centers. Keep in mind Glendening started as an AHL contract.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
They are not of age to go to the AHL next year, both are born on or after January 1st, 1995. Man that makes me feel old writing that date.:cry:

It just means they broke in their first possible year. Overage seasons don't really mean the seasons played it refers to a player over 20 and when they turn that.

Ahhh, did not realize the age thing.

I also agree about Janmark and AA. I knew AA was tried at center, and played center at the prospects tourney.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ahhh, did not realize the age thing.

I also agree about Janmark and AA. I knew AA was tried at center, and played center at the prospects tourney.

Depending on what they do and their plan he very well could be tried there. I think Nasty will be broken in with some center looks as well. The Wings are big on this, we will see I don't like Athanasiou's hockey IQ for the middle of the ice both offensively and defensively. To me he is frightening out on the wing and it suits what he does real well. Probably does not hurt to teach him some of the center ice responsibilities but that isn't where I see him long-term at all, would be very happy if he surprised us and could handle it without sacrificing some of what he does extremely well though.

Ryan Martin is going to have a chance here to sculpt a team, has a lot of moving parts and can go out and get some vets and college or unsigned CHL guys to augment his lineup, will be interesting to see what he and our scouting team come up with down there. Will give us a taste of what he has learned to date, looking forward to seeing what he does.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Depending on what they do and their plan he very well could be tried there. I think Nasty will be broken in with some center looks as well. The Wings are big on this, we will see I don't like Athanasiou's hockey IQ for the middle of the ice both offensively and defensively. To me he is frightening out on the wing and it suits what he does real well. Probably does not hurt to teach him some of the center ice responsibilities but that isn't where I see him long-term at all, would be very happy if he surprised us and could handle it without sacrificing some of what he does extremely well though.

Ryan Martin is going to have a chance here to sculpt a team, has a lot of moving parts and can go out and get some vets and college or unsigned CHL guys to augment his lineup, will be interesting to see what he and our scouting team come up with down there. Will give us a taste of what he has learned to date, looking forward to seeing what he does.

Ditto, looking forward to how he shapes the team. Nasty...can't see him being a center with his footspeed, plus with how good he is along the walls. I think he has winger written all over him.

AA, I'm unsure about. With his speed and puck skills, he might do well at center. I don't think his hockey IQ is bad enough that he HAS to play wing, but more of a work in progress if they want to move him there. With his speed and puck skills, I have no doubt that he will be an NHL player, just where he fits kinda thing.

One thing I like about AA is he want to play center. That tells me he is committed to to both sides of the game...IF he wants it, he could become one. If not, him streaking down the side with that skill and speed...very nice.

So, how do you think the Wings will play the prospects/vets? An line ideas? Who do you see being a regular, and who's on the fence?

EDIT: It's me and Zetterberg era in this thread, don't tell me nobody else has an opinion. And Hennka. Thanks Hennka.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Järnkrok --> Nashville organization
Emmerton --> Europe?
Callahan --> promoted
Ferraro --> promoted

Anthony Mantha - Andreas Athanasiou - Martin Frk
Jeff Hoggan - Andrej Nestrasil? - Marek Tvrdon
Triston Grant - Louis-Marc Aubry - Trevor Parkes
13th veteran like McIntyre, 14th veteran

Still worth to try it. Put Kris Draper to teach him extra or whatever to make it work. :) If it won't work, then it's easy to go back and put AA to wing.

Maybe Nestrasil is next year's "Emmerton". He will lose his waiver eligility, can't see any organization would claim him, but he has looked decent during latest months at Griffins. Maybe it would be a good idea to look him longer. Same with Aubry and Parkes. Would be nice to look these guys longer. Don't know if they over those vet-game limits, though.

Waiver-free Jurco starts down like Nyquist this year, then at some point of the season he's called up and never comes back. Mantha jumps in the 1st line and Tvrdon to 2nd.

At defence:

Almquist promoted, Bäckman arrives. Fournier let walk. Physical Nedomlel replaces physical Evans. I remember Paetsch is already signed for 2-years but Evans only for current season. So Paetsch is the only vet at defence to keep enough spots open for kids.

Xavier Ouellet - Ryan Sproul
Mattias Bäckman - Alexei Marchenko
Richard Nedomlel - Nick Jensen

7th Nathan Paetsch - (Max Nicastro to Toledo)

Petr Mrazek
Jake Paterson
(Jared Coreau to ECHL)

If Gustavsson is re-signed, Mrazek still down. Paterson arrives, McCollum leaves.

Absolutely love that defense/pairings. If Mrazek is up, then I think they will sign a vet to play with Paterson. Coreau will not cut it.

Nestrasil and Parkes should be let go, along with Fournier. They don't project as viable NHL prospects.

Wouldn't mind GR taking on a 1st line AHL center to be honest, take some of the pressure off the new guys.

EDIT: Glendening will be the the Wings, Babcock loves him. No way he gets sent down. Jurco I could see because of waivers, a la Nyquist.

EDIT 2: Also, this could be our AHL #1 center, with a call up maybe...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=77110

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Tough to say right now, like I said I think those vet spots are maybe burned on centers. If Tootoo can be bought out maybe a center and a legit heavy tough guy which is important at that level. Given their recent success and depending on how the rest of this year goes and the lineup is weaker now, we could see Ownership with the Griffins or Wings green light a legitimate bigger veteran with top 6 center scoring pedigree and that would drastically alter the lineup. Really it is something I think they should do a Corey Locke type maybe who knows.

Also have to see if any of our guys clear waivers and wind up back on the team, you get a better picture of that in the summer and much closer to the season.

Plus if Blashill is the coach or not, something I honestly don't expect but if he is still around he does believe in the Wings philosophy of starting these guys down the lineup and making them earn ice time. So even placing Mantha on line one from day one might be a stretch, though like the previous talents he will work his way up.

Are Glendening or Jurco forced down?

Mantha - X - Pulkkinen
Hoggan - Janmark - Frk
Athanasiou - Aubry - Tvrdon
X - X - X

Ouellet - Marchenko
Paetsch - Jensen
Nedomlel- Sproul
X

If Backman is over he pushes people down. Nedomlel and Sproul have been paired together before. Tough to say until we get a total roster picture and confirmation on the Swedes coming to this side of the pond.

Mrazek might be the backup in Detroit or down for one more year
Paterson/Coreau

I don't know, I do think Athanasiou and Tvrdon are on a line together probably in the bottom six. We will see, I also expect a college guy maybe that they like out there or CHL guy on an AHL only contract.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Tough to say right now, like I said I think those vet spots are maybe burned on centers. If Tootoo can be bought out maybe a center and a legit heavy tough guy which is important at that level. Given their recent success and depending on how the rest of this year goes and the lineup is weaker now, we could see Ownership with the Griffins or Wings green light a legitimate bigger veteran with top 6 center scoring pedigree and that would drastically alter the lineup. Really it is something I think they should do a Corey Locke type maybe who knows.

Also have to see if any of our guys clear waivers and wind up back on the team, you get a better picture of that in the summer and much closer to the season.

Plus if Blashill is the coach or not, something I honestly don't expect but if he is still around he does believe in the Wings philosophy of starting these guys down the lineup and making them earn ice time. So even placing Mantha on line one from day one might be a stretch, though like the previous talents he will work his way up.

Are Glendening or Jurco forced down?

Mantha - X - Pulkkinen
Hoggan - Janmark - Frk
Athanasiou - Aubry - Tvrdon

I don't know, I do think Athanasiou and Tvrdon are on a line together probably in the bottom six.

Agree with the top, those lines I don't like. Aubry at this point is an ECHL player(and i liked him out of juniors), putting him in the middle of two talented players...meh. Maybe he covers for them I guess.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Agree with the top, those lines I don't like. Aubry at this point is an ECHL player(and i liked him out of juniors), putting him in the middle of two talented players...meh. Maybe he covers for them I guess.

Don't really like them either, but much like when Pare is down the lineup or Hoggan is, people need to understand this isn't just the Wings play thing. They might look like how we like them to be by the end of the year if everything goes right, but often around here the construction of our AHL team and lines discounts that they want to win and operate within the framework of what it takes to be successful in the league.

With a better picture of who is under contract and who is coming over (keep in mind we already had confirmation on both Jarnkrok:cry: and Pulkkinen coming over at this point last year) it is hard to say right now. I think spending in the 200K range especially given what the Griffins have done the last couple years for a legitimate #1 AHL center like Locke or Aucion someone like that might not be out of the question at least I hope it is considered by Martin.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
With the loss of Jarnkrok, I really really hope Janmark comes over and plays in GR next year. Blash can coach him up, and hopefully help mold him into the top 6 center we desperately need.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Don't really like them either, but much like when Pare is down the lineup or Hoggan is, people need to understand this isn't just the Wings play thing. They might look like how we like them to be by the end of the year if everything goes right, but often around here the construction of our AHL team and lines discounts that they want to win and operate within the framework of what it takes to be successful in the league.

With a better picture of who is under contract and who is coming over (keep in mind we already had confirmation on both Jarnkrok:cry: and Pulkkinen coming over at this point last year) it is hard to say right now. I think spending in the 200K range especially given what the Griffins have done the last couple years for a legitimate #1 AHL center like Locke or Aucion someone like that might not be out of the question at least I hope it is considered by Martin.

Completely agree. The AHL team needs a boost at center, whether that be an AHL signing thing, or bringing in prospects. I prefer bringing in prospects to fill those needs, but, if someone like Janmark stays in Sweden another year, a vet AHL center would be a great idea.

Personally. I'd keep Hoggan and Paestch. Both provide good leadership to a young group. The AHL vet that helps develop prospects is greatly underrated IMO.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Man, I can remember when we used to have some high hopes for Aubry :(

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
With the loss of Jarnkrok, I really really hope Janmark comes over and plays in GR next year. Blash can coach him up, and hopefully help mold him into the top 6 center we desperately need.

Nah, keep him over in Europe a couple more years. Bring him to NA. String him along for a couple more years then trade him :sarcasm:

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

I'm really hopeful that Fyodor Malykhin is signed by the Wings. Eliteprospects says he has a contract through next year, nothing listed about an "out" clause.

IMO, if the Wings had an idea that he would sign with them, that might explain Jarnkrok being traded.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm really hopeful that Fyodor Malykhin is signed by the Wings. Eliteprospects says he has a contract through next year, nothing listed about an "out" clause.

IMO, if the Wings had an idea that he would sign with them, that might explain Jarnkrok being traded.

Where's he going to play on a team with Datsyuk, Weiss, Sheahan, Helm, Andersson, and likely/hopefully Legwand under contract?

Seems like there is no room for him, and I highly doubt he wants to go to the AHL and work his way up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Completely agree. The AHL team needs a boost at center, whether that be an AHL signing thing, or bringing in prospects. I prefer bringing in prospects to fill those needs, but, if someone like Janmark stays in Sweden another year, a vet AHL center would be a great idea.

Personally. I'd keep Hoggan and Paestch. Both provide good leadership to a young group. The AHL vet that helps develop prospects is greatly underrated IMO.

Paetsch and Hoggan are under contract for next year, so they will be on the team. Both signed two year deals, Evans and Grant got one year contracts.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Where's he going to play on a team with Datsyuk, Weiss, Sheahan, Helm, Andersson, and likely/hopefully Legwand under contract?

Seems like there is no room for him, and I highly doubt he wants to go to the AHL and work his way up.

Yeah he won't come over for the AHL in my opinion and we are loaded at center with the big club. Understand people liking him, just think it is a pipe dream.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Paetsch and Hoggan are under contract for next year, so they will be on the team. Both signed two year deals, Evans and Grant got one year contracts.

Yeah he won't come over for the AHL in my opinion and we are loaded at center with the big club. Understand people liking him, just think it is a pipe dream.

Ok, so Evans and Grant are gone, Paestch and Hoggan are retained.

IMO he will come over, and will be fast tracked to the NHL. Give him one year in the AHL to show he can handle it(a call-up or two), then a spot on the roster if he fits the bill.

If that scenario doesn't work for the Wings, then IMO they are losing out on talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad