Speculation: 2014-15 Central Division: how do Wild stack up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
It seems like we know enough about rosters to make a stab at where the Wild finish in the division this season.

Dallas and Colorado are the real wild-cards IMO; they could win the division or not make the playoffs.

I am cautiously optimistic that the Wild take a top 3 spot this season, but am not convinced Chicago and St. louis are the default 1 and 2.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
It seems like we know enough about rosters to make a stab at where the Wild finish in the division this season.

Dallas and Colorado are the real wild-cards IMO; they could win the division or not make the playoffs.

I am cautiously optimistic that the Wild take a top 3 spot this season, but am not convinced Chicago and St. louis are the default 1 and 2.

I think Colorado will come in sixth place. I think Nashville could challenge for a playoff spot, Same with Dallas and Minnesota.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I just don't think Spezza makes Dallas that much better. Top heavy team with mediocre defense.

St. Louis
Chicago
Minnesota
Colorado
Dallas
Nashville
Winnipeg

While I don't disagree with you, Colorado is in the exact same boat. And I think Dallas's forward corps as a whole is better. Deeper with a better bottom 6, so I would swap them in your projection.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I think the ceiling is second and floor fifth. I'm picking us to get third, with Colorado and Dallas very close.

Chicago
St. Louis
Minnesota
Colorado
Dallas
Nashville
Winnipeg

How much does it suck to be in this division?

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I think the ceiling is second and floor fifth. I'm picking us to get third, with Colorado and Dallas very close.

Chicago
St. Louis
Minnesota
Colorado
Dallas
Nashville
Winnipeg

How much does it suck to be in this division?

Silver lining is that the young kids face stellar competition night in and night out. Learn quickly and adapt or get to the back of the line.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
  1. St. Louis - Stastny will be a huge addition, and they will make the cup finals.
  2. Chicago - They're the new Detroit. Boo.
  3. Colorado - Varlamov will stand on his head again. McKinnon will go PPG.
  4. Minnesota - Predicting lots of injuries for us in 14-15. Suter goes down long-term. Goaltending is an issue.
  5. Dallas - Spezza will be okay, Lehtonen will get injured, they'll be fighting us for the wildcard
  6. Nashville - The team will struggle switching to an offensive mentality. Weber will lead the team in points. Neal will disappoint.
  7. Winnipeg - Kane will get traded for a goalie, and they'll pick top-5. Lots of management turnover.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
  1. St. Louis - Stastny will be a huge addition, and they will make the cup finals.
  4. Minnesota - Predicting lots of injuries for us in 14-15. Suter goes down long-term. Goaltending is an issue.
  5. Dallas - Spezza will be okay, Lehtonen will get injured, they'll be fighting us for the wildcard
  6. Nashville - The team will struggle switching to an offensive mentality. Weber will lead the team in points. Neal will disappoint.
  7. Winnipeg - Kane will get traded for a goalie, and they'll pick top-5. Lots of management turnover.

This. Minnesota could go from 2nd to 5th and I wouldn't be surprised. Could come down to the final few games.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
7. Nashville - Their impressive defense proves problematic for the rest of the division and causes the Big Three to work together to take them down like Tucker. And trolleys. And let's say... Crispy M&Ms.

6. Chicago - Chicago turns to high five St. Louis when the job is done but instead receives a crippling suckerpunch from its former ally. Kane effortlessly steps around the fray while weapons fall from the heavens and into his hands, but becomes distracted by his reflection in passing pieces of metal. Future visitors claim to be able to hear the sound of mad payment.

5. Dallas - Their shiny new offense tires before too long and pleas for a timeout are ignored. They regroup for a break but their undisciplined sentries are not up to the task, and many pass in their sleep.

4. Colorado - Repeated charges down the weakened center leave them quickly divided and both groups fail to coordinate an attack. By the time the command "Release The Patrick!!" is given and followed, there is no one left to benefit from Coach Roy's whirlwind of slaughter.

3./2. Minnesota/St. Louis - "They have a Coach Roy" says Boroumeestir. The Coach Roy crashes into the melee and steps on Paajarvi, grabs Finnish Baby Jesus by the skates and dashes him against the wall. He intercepts an incoming stick, skewers Leopold, and deep fries and drizzles chocolate over him before enjoying. Spurgeon narrowly dodges another swing as he runs through the Coach Roy's legs and hides behind a pillar while Falk and Ott are smashed together to form a longer name. Finally, Bees swarm around the Coach Roy's face and allow Oshie the upper hand in a shootout. As the Coach Roy topples, the remaining players begin hurling themselves over and around him at the others. As Stastny, Pietrangelo and Backes surround Suter, the last standing Wild player, they hear laughter from behind them. They were mistaken-- Vanek was not done, he had merely disappeared at the end. The final five all deliver their final blows to each other right as

1. Winnipeg walks into the room, gapes in horror, starts to back out and slips in blood, flops onto all fours and scrambles frantically like a deer on ice during a bloodstorm inside a bloodglobe floating in a bathtub of blood going over a bloodfall. Uh, in the... blood? Blood.
The doors close just in front of their retreat.

In memory of the NHL Central Division.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Only a matter of time before Hitchcock loses that team. I thought they had it last year with how great players like Steen, Oshie, Backes were playing. And they still have the cancer that is Steve Ott.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
1. Colorado - They'll come down to reality this year, but injuries aside that team is ready to go and very fast and deadly. If goaltending is what it was last year, and their youth can develop even more, they will win it again this season, but probably not by much.

2. Chicago - This is their final year of that dynasty before the entire team implodes yet again. I wouldn't put it past them to trade Sharp and Oduya though by the deadline to bottom feeders for good picks in the next draft.

3. Minnesota - Even with injuries, there is actual depth on this team unlike many of their divisional counterparts. But we all know they slump for at least a good month on games they should easily win.

4. St. Louis - I think Hitchcock loses the lockerroom this year. I've been harping this team will make it to the finals for the last 3 years and they've disappointed me every year. So I'm putting them where I think they'll finish when KH calls out the top players and they collapse onto one another again like the last half of the last years season

5. Dallas - Injury prone team but they have a lot of great talent that can still be very dangerous

6. Nashville - New Coaching Staff and a lot of change will be coming with how they play the game.

7. Winnipeg - I feel for the team. They'll not only trade Kane but I would imagine Wheeler and Buff will be on the block as well for either picks or another caliber player. Maybe even Patrick Sharp?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Only a matter of time before Hitchcock loses that team. I thought they had it last year with how great players like Steen, Oshie, Backes were playing. And they still have the cancer that is Steve Ott.

They have solid youth, though. Schwartz and Tarasenko are developing better than any of our prospects, and they still have Pietrangelo who's a top-10 defenseman at the ripe age of 24. Not to mention a solid goalie tandem.

7. Winnipeg - I feel for the team. They'll not only trade Kane but I would imagine Wheeler and Buff will be on the block as well for either picks or another caliber player. Maybe even Patrick Sharp?

Ugh, E. Kane for Sharp... I'd hate Chicago so much.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
who the hell knows?

gut feeling/hubris off the cuff prediction:

Chicago--elite talent F and D + enough really good supporting cast players to cover their weak point (goalie) AND score
Wild--with the addition of Vanek + more experience on the youngins we might have enough in us to score while protecting our goalie. hopefully.
St. Louis--long periods of robotic, juggernaut hockey spaced with long periods of head scratching losses
Dallas--finding their legs down the stretch, but not in time
CO--Varly can't be great two years in a row, and Stastny meant more to them (intangibles) than he will to the Blues.
Peg--some brilliant play from a couple guys keeps them out of last place
Nash--hot mess implosion.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
while our D doesnt scare anybody they seem to get the job done. our goaltending is our weak spot. if goaltending is sufficent i think we jump from 98 points to 104+. vaneks worth 2 , young guns 20% better worth 2 & hopefully stable goaltending 2. 3rd in the central sounds about right. ps i think the blues still lack that go 2 leader & some of the hawks are gettin old.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
while our D doesnt scare anybody they seem to get the job done. our goaltending is our weak spot. if goaltending is sufficent i think we jump from 98 points to 104+. vaneks worth 2 , young guns 20% better worth 2 & hopefully stable goaltending 2. 3rd in the west sounds about right.

I'd agree with your point prediction, but the Central is too stacked. Every team outside of Winnipeg landed a first line forward, and nobody lost a key player (outside of Colorado).

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i dont think we leap past hawks & blues until we have a goalie that stands on his head & a crease clearing D man. ps its our young guns improving & leadership that keeps us ahead of avs & stars imo.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
i dont think we leap past hawks & blues until we have a goalie that stands on his head & a crease clearing D man. ps its our young guns improving & leadership that keeps us ahead of avs & stars imo.

Because we give up so many shots a night? I think we have better defense then both the Avs and the Stars. Well if you can find a mobile crease clearing d men let me know I think most of them or already on teams.(who says folin can't be that guy).

dwanmaster*

I'm confident they can push for at least #3, really need the top 2 lines to click

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

I don't think we'll make the playoffs out of this division if that happens.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Barring no serious long term injuries to key players, I would expect us to compete for second in our division. If we want to show continued improvement I believe that is a reasonable goal.

With some luck and good improvement from our younger guys, we could compete for the top position, especially if at least one or two of our upcoming d show they don't suck this year and can hang. I would like it if Ballard is pushed out of the lineup.

With bad injury luck to key players, and/or we have a long slump or two (we do every year), and/or the other decent teams in our division (Nashville, Colorado, Dallas) bring it and gel more than we do, we could be looking at not even making it into the playoffs.

It's going to be an interesting year.

One factor will be Yeo's coaching development. He really seemed to figure it out last year in the playoffs, so hopefully some of that will stay with the team through the regular season. If that can happen, we might have a pretty exciting year.

Vanek, IMO, is a bit of a wild card, but if he produces anywhere close to what he's capable of, well, this just might be the best roster we've ever iced. Combine that with one d kid playing well, then we just might make a couple headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad