2014-15 Calder Poll: Hockey's Future taps Flames' Gaudreau as the top NHL rookie

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
johnny_gaudreau_calgary_042615.jpg
Photo: Calgary Flames rookie Johnny Gaudreau followed up his selection as the Hobey Baker winner in 2014 by turning in a performance in his NHL rookie season that is likely to earn him the NHL’s Calder Trophy in 2015 (courtesy of Gerry Thomas/NHLI via Getty Images)

</p>The late-season playoff push in places like Calgary, Ottawa, Winnipeg, and Florida — all teams that were not expected to be in the playoff hunt — pushed several rookies into the spotlight. While all but the Florida Panthers made the playoffs, the fact that all had key contributions from first-year players made for an interesting Calder Trophy selection the 2014-15 season.… read more

The post 2014-15 Calder Poll: Hockey’s Future taps Flames’ Gaudreau as the top NHL rookie appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I wish the folks at this "Hockey Future" website had some kind of message board I could use to voice my extreme displeasure concerning the obvious shenanigans displayed in their Calder trophy voting in specific, and carpetbaggery/ tomfoolery in general.

Oh well. Maybe some day.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Your article lost all credibility when you ranked Stone 4th. I thought this was about the Calder rankings.

Forsberg wasn't even ****ing nominated for the Calder. So he should be out of the top 3 and Stone should be in.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
"...but if there were an award for the most valuable rookie in the final two weeks of the season, Mark Stone would win that going away."

Hmmm I thought Stone was in the top 5 in NHL scoring from January 1st onwards. I think you forgot about 3 months worth of hockey there HF!?!

And no mention that he LED the league in takeaways lol. For shame. Makes me wonder what you actually discussed while compiling this list? I guess it's an irrelevant stat...didn't know. Kinda like +/-, which he actually led for all rookies as well. But I guess that doesn't matter either.

Delete.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
"...but if there were an award for the most valuable rookie in the final two weeks of the season, Mark Stone would win that going away."

Hmmm I thought Stone was in the top 5 in NHL scoring from January 1st onwards. I think you forgot about 3 months worth of hockey there HF!?!

And no mention that he LEAD the league in takeaways lol. For shame. Makes me wonder what you actually discussed while compiling this list? I guess it's an irrelevant stat...didn't know. Kinda like +/-, which he actually lead for all rookies as well. But I guess that doesn't matter either.

Delete.

I wish i can delete this article from my brain. Never reading an article by hockeyfuture again.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

And no mention that he LEAD the league in takeaways lol. For shame. Makes me wonder what you actually discussed while compiling this list? I guess it's an irrelevant stat...didn't know. Kinda like +/-, which he actually lead for all rookies as well. But I guess that doesn't matter either.

Delete.

This is something people dont realize. All three of Stone, Forsberg and Gaudreau hadd three lack luster months compared to what they did the other parts of the year. Stone is the only one who produced consistently once he was in a top 6 role.

People look like idiots when they say stone just finished hot

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
People look like idiots when they say stone just finished hot

It's an admission that they weren't paying attention to Stone for the majority of the year, and only "tuned in" for the last couple of weeks of the season because we were getting national media attention during the last leg of our playoff push...

... and honestly, if you are admitting that you only saw 2-3 weeks of a player's season, you are also admitting that you have no right in voting for these sorts of things.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
It's an admission that they weren't paying attention to Stone for the majority of the year, and only "tuned in" for the last couple of weeks of the season because we were getting national media attention during the last leg of our playoff push...

... and honestly, if you are admitting that you only saw 2-3 weeks of a player's season, you are also admitting that you have no right in voting for these sorts of things.

And I thank you.

You're a hockey publication, take some pride in your work! It's not like Stone is some unknown that surprised everyone. He has some pedigree, despite where he was drafted. It's a very tight race with many worthy candidates and an argument can be made for all of them, but do your job during the evaluation process. And if you can't, preface it by saying you had minimal viewings of each player and the article, as a result, is pretty much fluff.

Tee Lo

May 1, 2015
Offensively, Stone and Gaudreau are basically on equal ground (64 points each). However, Stone averages 2.75 P/60 5v5, while Gaudreau averages 2.03 P/60 5v5... Thus, Gaudreau benefits from more PP time than Stone. Stone also has 2 more goals, and 2 less assists. People will often think higher of Gaudreau since he's "more skilled" and "flashier" than Stone too, but that's irrelevant.

But Stone really starts to separate himself from Gaudreau since he is such a dominant two-way player as well. He's tied for most takeaways in the league, and has the best +/- out of the rookies (yes that stat can be misleading, but still).

All of this while Gaudreau also starts significantly more shifts in the Offensive zone.

Stone has certainly had a more impressive year than Gaudreau, no doubt.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I hear people say Mark Stone shouldnt win the Calder because he only finished hot...he was inconsistent.

Stone was top 5 in scoring since Jan 1 in the entire NHL. Coincidentally he started getting top 6 minutes around mid December when Dave Cameron took over. He was equally as consistent as Gaudreau and Forsberg and if you want you can say he was more consistent because he never had a bad month well in a top 6 role.

If we look at Stone's monthly totals.

Oct 4 points 13:47 ice time
Nov 6 points 14:18 ice time
Dec 7 points 17:02 ice time
Cameron first game dec 11 stone ice time is 19:07 followed by a 20 min game. His ice time consistently remained top 6 for the rest of the year. Under Maclean he had 2 games over 17 mins 6 over 16
Jan 11 points 16:27 ice time
Feb 11 points 19:01 ice time
Mar 15 points 18:25 ice time
APR 10 points 20:58 ice time

Looks to me that he wasnt inconsistent at all. He produced well when given limited minutes and produced well when given lots of minutes

Forsberg

Oct 8 points 16:28 ice time
Nov 15 points 17:50 ice time
Dec 12 points 17:53 ice time
Jan 7 points 16:28 ice time
Feb 10 points 16:41 ice time
Mar 7 points 18:01 ice time
Apr 4 points 18:20 ice time

Gaudreau

Oct 6 points 14:29 ice time
Nov 11 points 17:04 ice time
Dec 13 points 17:56 ice time
Jan 7 points 18:32 ice time
Feb 7 points 17:23 ice time

Mar 16 points 19:13 ice time
Apr 4 points 20:59 ice time

Note stone played 6 games in Apr well Gaudreau and Forsberg played 4

Looking at this Stone was no less consistent then the other players yet i hear this brought up regularly. Its seems theres a great deal of hockey writers who make this argument too....That stone is was inconsistent

Ive even heard some Sens fans say Gaudreau deserves the Calder over Stone because Stone was inconsistent. What a joke

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Says PWHA has to explain how Forsberg finished 4th.

Doesn't give explanations for its own picks.

photo.jpg

Stone is so fun to watch. Opposing players now know they will lose the puck if they are in the vicinity of Stone.

Last edited:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Stone missed the bus on the cool nickname and not hiring a hype man, because of this blunder he will not win the calder...half in jest

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

And no mention that he LED the league in takeaways lol. For shame. Makes me wonder what you actually discussed while compiling this list? I guess it's an irrelevant stat...didn't know. Kinda like +/-, which he actually led for all rookies as well. But I guess that doesn't matter either.

Delete.

Good thing I read through the thread first, otherwise I would have posted this too.

Hilariously terrible.

I still expect "Johnny Hockey" :facepalm: to win though. That all-star breakaway challenge schtick really put him over the top for Calder votes!!

#hype

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad