2014-15 Calder Poll: Forsberg, Gaudreau and Ekblad separate from the pack in January

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
johnny_gaudreau_calgary_011015.jpg
Photo: Calgary Flames rookie forward Johnny Gaudreau is currently third in scoring for the Flames with 15 goals and 39 points in 52 games (courtesy of Kathleen Hinkel/Icon Sportswire)

Nashville Predators left wing Filip Forsberg strengthened his hold on the top spot in the Hockey’s Future Calder Trophy poll in January while the*Calgary FlamesJohnny Gaudreau and 18-year-old Florida Panthers defenseman Aaron Ekblad appear to be his top challengers for the award.

Just below the top three are Winnipeg Jets goalie Michael Hutchinson and Ottawa Senators forward Mike Hoffman, who are tied for fourth, while Dallas Stars defenseman John Klingberg was one of the biggest movers in terms of numbers of votes, sliding into the sixth spot.… read more

The post 2014-15 Calder Poll: Forsberg, Gaudreau and Ekblad separate from the pack in January appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Would have loved Johnny to win this, but Forsberg is way ahead of everyone else imo.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I personally doubt Johnny wins, but oh well. No big deal. His impact goes far beyond what a trophy represents.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Personally, I think it should be Hutchinson over Forsberg, Ekblad or Gaudreau (no disrespect to ANY of those fantastic players). But we all know that's not gonna happen.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I personally think Ekblad has the upper hand over Forsberg. Not many 18-year-old defensemen come straight out of juniors to play 22+ minutes a game, not to mention he's putting some very impressive offensive numbers on a terrible offensive team. Forsberg plays on an offensive-minded team that benefits him for sure, but he also drives their offense so it goes both ways.

If Ekblad manages to put up more than 40 points while playing the minutes he does, I can't think of a better Calder winner to be honest. Myers managed to win the Calder when Tavares and Duchene had their +50 points rookie seasons. And the fact that Ekblad is 2-3 years younger than Forsberg and Gaudreau should be an advantage for him as well.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I personally think Ekblad has the upper hand over Forsberg. Not many 18-year-old defensemen come straight out of juniors to play 22+ minutes a game, not to mention he's putting some very impressive offensive numbers on a terrible offensive team. Forsberg plays on an offensive-minded team that benefits him for sure, but he also drives their offense so it goes both ways.

If Ekblad manages to put up more than 40 points while playing the minutes he does, I can't think of a better Calder winner to be honest. Myers managed to win the Calder when Tavares and Duchene had their +50 points rookie seasons. And the fact that Ekblad is 2-3 years younger than Forsberg and Gaudreau should be an advantage for him as well.

Calder voting (somewhat ironically) doesn't take in age as a consideration, it also doesn't take into account what team a player plays for. Its an award given solely on how an individual rookie produced and played.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Calder voting (somewhat ironically) doesn't take in age as a consideration, it also doesn't take into account what team a player plays for. Its an award given solely on how an individual rookie produced and played.

Technically you are correct but humans are voting and they know what Ekblad has done is much more impressive considering his age

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014

I'm not 100% sure if they absolutely eliminate age as a slight factor though. It is an indicator of how many minor-pro/developmental years the player took or did not take to perform in the NHL, which can also contribute to how good that player's rookie performance was, in relation to the others with different backgrounds. There is going to be ambiguity and different opinions on who the "best" rookie was.

Also, I'm not saying someone should win or not win because of the team he plays for, but I'm just saying that in terms of offensive production, Ekblad's contribution to his team's offense is more valuable and significant in relation to Forsberg's contribution to his team's offense, not to mention one is a defenseman. I know it really should be about a player's individual performance, but there is really no denying that the team can influence the player's individual performance.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
1. Forsberg
2. Ekblad
3. Gaudreau
4. Hutchinson/Klingberg
6. Hoffman/Drouin

Significant gap between 3 and 4. And still lots of time for things to change though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ya definitely should have worded that differently.

He is the front runner right now in my mind. Close race though, best I can remember in a while
Fair enough, I just can't help but think that a minor injury would knock any of the top 3 out of the running. Or a hot streak by Gaudreau would vault him to the front. Hell another hot streak by that Stars defenseman should put him in the top 3 too.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
FF is ahead of the pack right now; If he continues this way he could put up a 70 point season.

If Johnny could win, it would take Forsberg cooling off, and Johnny picking it up again. Both have equal chances of slowing down; since this will be the most hockey either of them has ever played in the last stretch here.

Awesome having a horse in this race though... it's been a long while since we've had this kind of a rookie showing (not to put down Monahan's season last year).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad