2014-15 Calder Poll: Ekblad impresses but Forsberg remains atop February ranking

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
aaron_ekblad_florida_030315.jpg
Photo: Florida Panthers rookie defenseman Aaron Ekblad has displayed the same maturity and talent level in his first NHL season that he was known for during his junior hockey days with the OHL’s Barrie Colts (courtesy of Eliot J. Schechter/NHLI via Getty Images)

Florida Panthers defenseman Aaron Ekblad has played a key role in his team’s surprising push for the final wild card playoff spot in the NHL’s Eastern Conference and as a result has all but closed the gap with Nashville Predators‘ left wing Filip Forsberg — the leading scorer among rookies — in the February Hockey’s Future Calder Trophy poll.… read more

The post 2014-15 Calder Poll: Ekblad impresses but Forsberg remains atop February ranking appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I know Hoffman is in the Calder discussion, but he's not even mentioned in this thread :laugh:

Rubbing it in Sens fans faces!

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm not going to lose sleep over it. In many other years, Hoffman would win the Calder (let's be honest, he is more flashy than stone). It's a strong year, I can live with these two not getting the recognition they deserve. Flying under the radar isn't always a bad thing.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
The fast starts always get recognized in the end, so Forsberg, Gaudreau, and Ekblad will likely be the finalists, but if things keep going the way they are, Stone or Klingberg could work their way in.

Mark Stone has been just as important to Ottawa as Ryan or Turris the last few months.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I'm not going to lose sleep over it. In many other years, Hoffman would win the Calder (let's be honest, he is more flashy than stone). It's a strong year, I can live with these two not getting the recognition they deserve. Flying under the radar isn't always a bad thing.

Many other years? I'd say it's closer to very few. He's had a very good year, but there's been many great rookie seasons, plus he's stretching the bounds of being a rookie to the max. If there's a close race, the preference would be to the younger player.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The fast starts always get recognized in the end, so Forsberg, Gaudreau, and Ekblad will likely be the finalists, but if things keep going the way they are, Stone or Klingberg could work their way in.

Mark Stone has been just as important to Ottawa as Ryan or Turris the last few months.

:handclap: finally the guy is getting recognition & deservedly so.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It'll be Ekblad. It's been a long time since an 18 year old d-man has been able to do what he has. It's a very deep rookie pool this year though.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It'll be Ekblad. It's been a long time since an 18 year old d-man has been able to do what he has. It's a very deep rookie pool this year though.

So many secondary assists while playing heavy minutes on a powerhouse line???

They're trying to win the Calder as a consolation cup...

Losers:shakehead

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Many other years? I'd say it's closer to very few. He's had a very good year, but there's been many great rookie seasons, plus he's stretching the bounds of being a rookie to the max. If there's a close race, the preference would be to the younger player.

I suppose you have a point. I was looking at the forwards' rookie seasons who won the trophy in the last 15 years and, whereas Hoff's goal totals are on par, his assists are way down (eg. MacKinnon had 39 assists his rookie year). The lack of PP time and production has hurt Hoffman's bottom line.

Which I suppose is good considering he's an RFA. Kid is pretty smart, though. It sounds like he has confidence that he can keep this pace up and not lock himself into a low paying long term contract a la Turris:

Mike Hoffman wants to be a part of the Senators' future -- he's just not sure if he's ready to sign a long term contract.

"Depends how long," the Senators winger, who is slated to become a restricted free agent after the season, said Saturday morning. "Three years, yeah, no problem. But five and six ... it would all depend on the numbers, right?"

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/02/07/senators-hioffman-unsure-of-long-term-deal

RedSeven*

Honestly who cares.

Id rather have both Stone and Hoffman then one of Ekblad and forsberg.

WIth Zbad and EK we don't need them.

It really is incredible how great these two guys look.

We have two legit top six players that are home grown.

This is how teams win cups.

We haven't had guys come up like this in a long time.

The names stone and hoffman will be seen in a different light soon.

Aka as in stud steals of the draft like the redwngs do for many years to come.

Well done Brian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad