Pre-Game Talk: 2014-15 Avalanche Pre-Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That's not good. You know Yeo will try to take advantage of that third pairing as much as possible in the first game. Hejda has looked very slow and bad and getting paired with Guenin won't help.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just listened to LeBrun talk about the Avs defense and say, "Barrie is clearly the #1 guy there". EJ might be the most overlooked and under-appreciated #1 defenseman in the league.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
And we wonder why people think EJ might break out this season.

The perception on EJ is just so badly tainted I don't think it will ever recover. That's one reason why I don't think he's going to expect an outrageous contract.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
For the most part Pierre is the only national media guy I hear talking up EJ. He did it often on TSN radio last season.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Just listened to LeBrun talk about the Avs defense and say, "Barrie is clearly the #1 guy there". EJ might be the most overlooked and under-appreciated #1 defenseman in the league.

Even after Roy has said EJ is the Avs best defenceman, Sakic said he has developed into the defenceman they hoped he would become when they traded for him, and Foote said his play was at the level of a top-10 defenceman for periods of time. How could a guy who plays 5 minutes less a game be a "clear #1?"

Lebrun was also the one who said the Avs had no top-4 defencemen last summer didn't he?

Hejda-Guenin is going to be worse than Hejda-O'Byrne.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Surprised. I think Redmond would get in against speedier opponents as opposed to Guenin. And Vice versa Guenin gets the nod against PP teams/bigger teams

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Have high hopes for Redmond but after watching Frozen Fury he needs to continue to improve decision making. Saw a few blind passes to Kings in the Avs zone when pressured. He can overcome them and has more to offer than the other 5-6s but not a good way to endear yourself to a starting role.

member 116861

Guenin starting over Redmond is so dumb. A Hejda and Guenin pairing is so dumb. A Holden and Barrie pairing isn't the worst thing but Hejda-Barrie and Holden-Guenin is much better.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Have high hopes for Redmond but after watching Frozen Fury he needs to continue to improve decision making. Saw a few blind passes to Kings in the Avs zone when pressured. He can overcome them and has more to offer than the other 5-6s but not a good way to endear yourself to a starting role.

It's still obviously clear he belongs over Guenin.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
A few weeks of practice and Redmond will get the chance. It's like Roy with Barrie. Sometimes it takes a bit of time for a coach to get it. Coaches like to reward hard workers so players like Guenin/Cliche are too high on the coaches power rankings.

It took Holden a month to get to play last year and at the end of the year he was playing big minutes.

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
In the pre-season games I saw, Redmond was too casual with the puck. He's going to be an impact player this year, but I don't mind him having to work his way into the line-up.

Guenin is a fine choice to start the season in what will likely be a physical home and home.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
In the pre-season games I saw, Redmond was too casual with the puck. He's going to be an impact player this year, but I don't mind him having to work his way into the line-up.

Guenin is a fine choice to start the season in what will likely be a physical home and home.

He did have a bit of riverboat to his game at times, but it didn't quite seem as dangerous as when guys like Cumiskey or Elliott would do it. He seemed to make decent decisions to keep him from getting in too much trouble, but he was fairly aggressive at times when I didn't expect it.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
So I was watching the NHL Network preview for our team, some really insightful stuff actually.

Duchy told them that the team actually avoids pointless shot attempts (a clue to Landeskog laughing?). They don't like giving the puck away via a smothered puck or low percentage play. They want to hold onto it and make a play rather than waste their zone time on shots.

NHL Network showed some stats to back that up, pointing to the fact we had the 5th highest ES offensive zone puck possession, 4th lowest turnovers in the offensive zone and the highest shooting percentage. They said it is part of Roy's system to take higher percentage opportunities rather than just throwing it on net and hoping for the best (like many teams do against us) and called it an innovative new style.

Meanwhile Duchy and MacKinnon were apparently #3 and #2 in the league in percentage carries over the blue line at 76 and 77% (not exactly sure what that's a percentage of, but it sounds good).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So I was watching the NHL Network preview for our team, some really insightful stuff actually.

Duchy told them that the team actually avoids pointless shot attempts (a clue to Landeskog laughing?). They don't like giving the puck away via a smothered puck or low percentage play. They want to hold onto it and make a play rather than waste their zone time on shots.

NHL Network showed some stats to back that up, pointing to the fact we had the 5th highest ES offensive zone puck possession, 4th lowest turnovers in the offensive zone and the highest shooting percentage. They said it is part of Roy's system to take higher percentage opportunities rather than just throwing it on net and hoping for the best (like many teams do against us) and called it an innovative new style.

Meanwhile Duchy and MacKinnon were apparently #3 and #2 in the league in percentage carries over the blue line at 76 and 77% (not exactly sure what that's a percentage of, but it sounds good).

I was wondering if their preview would be good or not. Last night watching some of the Eastern conference ones they did had me scratching my head.

It seemed like every team was pure positive, and they were predicting some pretty outlandish things for players, and teams.

At least it sounds like they went in a different direction than most media has gone with ours. Even if it almost seems like they were mandated to find a way to be positive about every team.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The thing that bothers me about that strategy is the fact that they do it on the PP.

I mean, how many times do they just ineffectively skate around with the puck before losing it, or overpass it before it gets intercepted? Wasting those precious seconds on the clock. It's always at the end of the PP when it's 5 on 5 that they set up and it looks like they're on the PP except they're not.

Watching them on the PP draws only these three reactions: "SHOOT. THE. PUCK" or "Our PP is terrible, can't even get set up/enter the zone :facepalm:" or sometimes "Oh wow, they actually scored, awesome!"

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

It's how often you carry the puck over the blue line out of total zone entries (carried attempts + dumping the puck in). Most players/teams dump the puck over 50% of the time.

Successfully carried attempts results in scoring chances much more often than dump-ins.

It's based on data collected by an impressively dedicated guy that manually tracked zone exits and zone entries for all teams last season. It's very interesting stuff and Avs being very good at controlled zone entries, high offensive zone possession time and relatively few but high quality shot attempts may explain Avs being poor at corsi but successful anyway.

Avs defenders take fewer shots than the defenders on other teams. Those usually are very low percentage shots. Some of the teams with high corsi take a lot of shots from the points. This results in more missed and blocked shots and since those count as much as a shot on goal when it comes to corsi, they are good corsi teams.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
For the most part Pierre is the only national media guy I hear talking up EJ. He did it often on TSN radio last season.

Pierre gushed about EJ a lot. Then again, it's Pierre and he loves everyone.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

Yeah, posted the video in the Advanced stats thread. Tempted to post it on the main board but I'm sure it would lead to just more fighting and complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad