Olympics: 2014 — Switzerland Roster (Released, post #1)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Stop me if I'm wrong, but unless something crazy happens in group A, Switzerland will be 6th and face the 11th ranked team, which, if Norway - Austria doesn't go to OT, will likely be Slovakia. Then the winner faces the worst group winner, likely the US if Canada - Finland doesn't go to OT.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Stop me if I'm wrong, but unless something crazy happens in group A, Switzerland will be 6th and face the 11th ranked team, which, if Norway - Austria doesn't go to OT, will likely be Slovakia. Then the winner faces the worst group winner, likely the US if Canada - Finland doesn't go to OT.

Sounds right to me.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Actually I thought the loser of Norway-Austria would be last for sure because of the goal difference, but Slovakia is in the running too if Russia gives them a beating. And if Norway-Austria goes to OT, Latvia will be 11th.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Our D has been amazing !

Streit ... doesn't receive the credit he deserves ... never mentioned ... only Josi, but he is a real insurance.
Diaz .. also very good
Vauclair ... decent ... very decent.

props to them.

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
To the swiss fellows: do you think our deficit in the offensive play could be somewhat related to Patrick Fischer not being on the coaching staff anymore? I know in Stockholm he was responsible for pp and forwards, and seeing the absolute incredible job he has done in lugano as head coach I think his absence cannot be dismissed. We swiss are maybe lacking high end talent, but we are very good in buy into a system, hence the quality of the coaching staff is more relevant for us than for other countries.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
To the swiss fellows: do you think our deficit in the offensive play could be somewhat related to Patrick Fischer not being on the coaching staff anymore? I know in Stockholm he was responsible for pp and forwards, and seeing the absolute incredible job he has done in lugano as head coach I think his absence cannot be dismissed. We swiss are maybe lacking high end talent, but we are very good in buy into a system, hence the quality of the coaching staff is more relevant for us than for other countries.

Without in depth knowledge i buy your point.

While we cumulate shots on goals ... we have a low (real scoring chances/shots on goals) ratio in my view. Not to speak about the shot/goal ratio. which is close to 1% having 90 and some shots for 1 goal.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
So, Latvia it will be... I would have prefered to face a new team, but on the other hand Latvia is not a worse opponent than Slovakia or Norway. I was hoping for Austria or Slovenia, but after seeing them I'm not sure they would have been any easier.

Any opinion?

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
It's ok. (It just feels a bit strange ... why did we beat Latvia, Czech republic, loose our energy agains Sweden to play again ... Latvia again !?)(And the Latvians must think : no big drama after all ... we lost everything ... now we beat Switzerland ... and their we go on an optimistic note !)

I was deadly fearing Slovenia, Slovakia ... small preference for Austria ... but at the end ***k.

I remember when Switzerland became JWC in Soccer some years ago. They just beat the tenors. Italy, England, Brasil ... name them ... they were their.
When we silvered ... we had to play (almost) all big nations as well.

So ... We will not become OC (Olympic Champion) by only beating Austria, Norway with feverish MZA and depressed Thoressen, Latvia in low shape and Sweden without Z and 1/2 of Sedin's pair and divorced Lundquist !! We have to beat them all. And in full shape.

(hope Lundqvist doesn't divorce and MZA stays healthy ... of course !:laugh:)

Ventana*

I honestly think we can beat Canada. Just need to get 1 or 2 past that defense and I think if we do we can win. Gotta get by Latvia tho who always works hard

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
An early goal would be the key.

8 years ago Swe lost one game so they could play Switzerland in the quarters which was an easy win. These days are gone.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
I actually rather play Latvia than Norway or Slovakia. Not that they're an easy opponent, but it's a team that we know if we play well, we can beat them. Slovakia still has quality on their team and I get the impression we always have trouble playing Norway.

It's unlucky that we got Canada if we make it to the 1/4 finals. We play well and - if we make it - lose all but 1 game, and even that is a close 0-1 loss, and as a reward you get the best team in the world? Russia, Finland or even Sweden again seem more likely to beat... but anyway, we'd need a superb game against anyone to advance.

I also think it's a bit exaggerrated to complain about Switzerlands 1-0 games if you have a look at the games of the top nations. Many of these games were close with few goals, and not only the Swiss forwards weren't able to score. It seems that there just aren't many goals when top defenses are involved, no matter what forward group you have.

Last edited:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Isn't it a mistake to start playing our game immediately ?
As if we had a statement to make : we don't play the trap anymore ??

The result in all 3 games so far : lots of shots in the first 10 minutes ... the opposing team plays the turtle ... we don't score ... demotivated offense ... and they come with full breath after 10 minutes. (1st tier for the Latvians) and we are border line with our physical condition. If by unluck we take penalties ... we get gazed (the Swedish game) and with the Czechs we were falling like butter. (swiss cheese ?)

++

Let's change our game plan:
We trap the first 10 minutes. Let them open, then we start our speedy game. (that is a high fuel consuming game)
And we start tier 2 and 3 with 4 minutes of trap (turtle) just to mix the cards.

++

who takes contact with mr Simpson ? Der Schweizer Volk will ....:laugh: the Swiss people wants ... !
We are a democratic country !

Whoever reads this and has contact with him ... repeat it :laugh: in the name of the Swiss people (paying taxes ... hence his salary :laugh:)

Last edited:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I don't know about you, but most people in Latvia are quite pleased we're facing you in the qualis. :)

A rematch feels like exactly the thing we needed after that ridiculously lucky goal in the first game.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
I don't know about you, but most people in Latvia are quite pleased we're facing you in the qualis. :)

A rematch feels like exactly the thing we needed after that ridiculously lucky goal in the first game.

My brain is pleased. My guts don't like it, though.

Well, you guys better hope that your goaltender gets his op play back. Otherwise we won't need a ridiculously lucky goal again. :laugh:

Excited for the game, though.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

Inside me ... i am happy we face you.

39 shots to 21 ... we need to score.

If we don't score against you, we will never score !

let's face it.

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
I like Latvia's chances. If they can score the first goal of the game, we are in big trouble.

I think it will be a close game, just like the game before. That's too bad, because an exhausted team will face Team Canada just 24h later. :help:

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
there is no rational, statistical way that we end up with a THIRD shutout in 4 games .
And since we don't score.....this will go 1-1 to the shoot-out. Then everything is possible.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
there is no rational, statistical way that we end up with a THIRD shutout in 4 games .
And since we don't score.....this will go 1-1 to the shoot-out. Then everything is possible.

If the opponent weren't Latvia I would agree with you. It's unlikely yes, but more likely than against Slovakia or Russia. You could as well say there's no probability that our forwards don't get their shooting percentage up. :)

It will be a tough and close game once again, but come on, Switzerland HAS to be the favourite in this game. I, for one, will be disappointed if we don't win this game after all the seeming progress our team and players have made in recent years...

Reznor

Feb 20, 2013
Fribourg

I expect the puck to go in a little bit better than in the first three games (especially the one against Latvia). 1.1% shooting percentage is another stat that is quite unsustainable ;)

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
I expect the puck to go in a little bit better than in the first three games (especially the one against Latvia). 1.1% shooting percentage is another stat that is quite unsustainable ;)

Yeah tha's my only consolation. But Latvia did get dangerous around us (crossbar/post). So I don't know, it will be nerve-wrecking for sure. For both us and latvian fans, that have the right to hope for an upset.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Well, the consternation in Switzerland is certainly big. And then some clueless fans from the big hockey countries tell you that "hockey is a 6 country sport". Switzerland and Latvia were going at it with as much passion as Canada and the US would.

Many players being bashed in Swiss media right now. On one hand rightfully so, on the other hand I believe there was also a lot of bad luck involved. But it's still mind-boggling how few quality scoring chances we were able to create, not to speak of converting.

A nice example that the number of NHL players on a roster does not decide it's quality, for those who didn't already know that. I don't like that "anti-NHL" mentality, but it's also clear that the difference between players from good European leagues and NHL players (3rd/4th liners) is pretty small unless they're star players.

Now it's again 4 very long years until the next highest-level hockey competition, and it's not sure yet if that will even take place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad