Olympics: 2014 — Russia Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I love Nichushkin, but he's not even close to being ready for the Olympics. He's doing great for an 18-year old in Dallas, but far from Olympic stature. I am really indifferent to the prospects of Anisimov, and Orlov, while extremely talented, has been stuck in the minors until recently, and offers no real basis to be selected for Sochi.
It is a matter of opinion but I think Nichushkin is the best Russian prospect since Malkin and the way he has played in the NHL he deserves a chance to play in the Olympics. It is not like Russia has an abundance of wingers to replace him.

Russia also lacks good centers and Anisimov is currently the third best Russian center behind Malkin and Datsyuk. He was good in the KHL during the lockout and is having a solid NHL season. He is big and can play two-way game. I see him as the best option for third line center.

Orlov might be a controversial choice, but like centers Russia is not exactly rich in good defensemen either. Gonchar is too old. Nikulin and Medvedev have been terrible in the Russian national team this season. Who else really are there? I don't see anyone. Orlov finally seems to be solidifying his place in the Capitals line up. Orlov, along with Voynov and Kulikov, is the most promising young Russian dman right now.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Forget Orlov. Not happening.

I think Nichushkin will be there. His age doesn't matter. He's good.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Artem Anisimov is on pace for ~25 goals this season, which easily surpasses his previous performances. He also had an excellent season in 2012-13, but it was a shortened season. I think he will be a great asset to this team so there is no reason to be "indifferent" about him.

Over the last few weeks Anisimov has been absolutely fantastic.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
From Kravchuk's twitter:

"In New-York this morning,rain,warm,sunny breaks!Going in the game CBJ vs NYR,GM and head coach to DAL vs NYI"

So, I guess Bill decided to take a look at Nichushkin and/or Gonchar.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
Tarasenko has been a bull this year. Is he a lock yet for Russia?

Nope.

The only locks I can think of are :

F: Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Radulov
D: Voynov, Markov, Emelin
G: Varlamov

And my final roster wish :

OVECHKIN - MALKIN - SEMIN (scoring line 1)
RADULOV - DATSYUK - KOVALCHUK (scoring line 2)
TARASENKO - ANISIMOV - KULEMIN (checking line)
TIKHONOV - TERESHENKO - NICHUSHKIN (8 minutes a game line)
POPOV, PEREZHOGIN

MARKOV - EMELIN
VOYNOV - BELOV
TYUTIN - NIKITIN
NIKULIN - MEDVEDEV

VARLAMOV
BOBROVSKY
NABOKOV (who cares who's 3rd?)

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Tarasenko has been a bull this year. Is he a lock yet for Russia?

Well, considering our trainers aren't gonna scout the Blues, I think Bill has already made his opinion on Tarasenko. Whether it good or bad, it's another question. But I think he will make the team. He's very good on the big ice, play solid two way game, and Bilyaletdinov once praised Vlad for how good he had looked on the Blues.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
im surprised kulemin is on so many rosters, he has been dreadful this year and quite frankly he hasn't done much since 2010-2011. i guess he can be useful as a checking/ defensive forward but i just don't want to see him any where in the top 9.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
im surprised kulemin is on so many rosters, he has been dreadful this year and quite frankly he hasn't done much since 2010-2011. i guess he can be useful as a checking/ defensive forward but i just don't want to see him any where in the top 9.

Kulemin is ok, it's Toronto that sucks. Look at Grabovsky and MacArthur. I won't be surprised if Kulemin scores 60 points playing with Geno next season.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Semin
Kovalchuk-Anisimov-Radulov
Tarasenko-Malkin-Nichushkin
Perezhogin-Tereshenko-Kulemin
Burmistrov, Kuznetsov

Voynov-Tyutin
Markov-Yemelin
Nikulin-Ryasensky
Kulikov, Gonchar

Varlamov
Bobrovsky
Barulin

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Don't agree Kulemin has been dreadful. He's not producing offensively, but otherwise I watch him and he plays well. Good with the body.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

The problem is that we don't have a lot of wingers who can bring some quality defensive skills, and Kulemin is probably the only Russian NHL winger that is playing notable role on his teams PK.

Kulemin is ok, it's Toronto that sucks. Look at Grabovsky and MacArthur. I won't be surprised if Kulemin scores 60 points playing with Geno next season.

No offense to Toronto fans, but this. :) Not sure about 60 points, but looks like at Toronto nobody gives a **** about his offensive ability, so his offensive production can't be worse than it is now. Besides of mentioning Malkin, I'm sure that he still can be a Top 6 winger on a good team, for example, I could easily imagine him playing important role on 2-nd line of the team like Carolina.

Last edited:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

Kulemin has never had a dreadful season here. He's not the 30 goal man we thought he would be but he's been our best defensive winger and 2nd best defensive forward for many seasons now. Always gets the hard assignments and on the ice when we're holding the lead.

The only reason he might make Team Russia is because of his defensive abilities (and he seems to be in Team Russia's good books as he was part of that weird music video a while back). Oh and his BFF Malkin would probably vouch for him.

aloonda*

russia coach to watch islanders and stars tonight

let's go nuke!

TheMachiavelli*

Nope.

The only locks I can think of are :

F: Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Radulov
D: Voynov, Markov, Emelin
G: Varlamov

And my final roster wish :

OVECHKIN - MALKIN - SEMIN (scoring line 1)
RADULOV - DATSYUK - KOVALCHUK (scoring line 2)
TARASENKO - ANISIMOV - KULEMIN (checking line)
TIKHONOV - TERESHENKO - NICHUSHKIN (8 minutes a game line)
POPOV, PEREZHOGIN

MARKOV - EMELIN
VOYNOV - BELOV
TYUTIN - NIKITIN
NIKULIN - MEDVEDEV

VARLAMOV
BOBROVSKY
NABOKOV (who cares who's 3rd?)

Replace Nikitin with Chudinov, Nabokov with Eremenko and Popov/Perezhogin with Kokarev and this becomes a solid team.

TheMachiavelli*

What are your guy's thoughts on Kolstov? And Zaripov as an extra?

TheMachiavelli*

Final roster prediction before the announcement tomorrow.

Forwards:
Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Semin
Kovalchuk-Anisimov-Radulov
Kulemin-Malkin-Tarasenko
Kokarev-Tereshenko-Soin
Extra:Tikhonov; Prohorkin

Defense:
Markov-Emelin
Voynov-Tyutin
Medvedev-Nikulin
Chudinov-Ryasensky

Goalies:
Bob; Varlamov; Eremenko

Battle Hymns

Sep 6, 2013
would Frolov not be a better option for the checking line over a guy like Kulemin ? His puck possession down low would compliment Anisimov/Tara very well. He can kill penalties as well. thoughts ?

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
would Frolov not be a better option for the checking line over a guy like Kulemin ? His puck possession down low would compliment Anisimov/Tara very well. He can kill penalties as well. thoughts ?
His chances of making the team are 0%

I was a fan of his in the NHL, right now he is no better than 3rd liners in the KHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad