Olympics: 2014 — Latvia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Arthur

Jun 8, 2012
I think goaltending is adequate (by Olympic standards Latvian team is a peace of junk, why point out goaltending?). And what makes you say the youngsters are "unstable"? Gudlevskis' WC performance really doesn't serve the hype in any way to me. It's just his performance this season, he's been great thus far. And, by the way, so was Merzlikins. Sure it's not like having Lundqvist in the net but those fringe KHLers Latvian roster is stacked with are not Crosbies and Zetterbergs either.

Also I fail to see how will Latvians have anything more to lose in the Olympics than in WC. Nobody's expecting anything anyway.

This is a basic principle- a young goaltender will not be as calm mature as someone more experienced.. Exclusions apply, sure. But that is the main trend. And by being unstable- you might get a shutout one night and pull out 4+ pucks in the next one, which has happened to Gudlevskis.. Putting all of that aside, i am happy with our goaltending prospects. It finally seems as if we might have more to choose from as opposed to previous years. One AHL-er,ECHL-er, who if luck strikes might get a chance in the NHL and two NLA goalies, who are actually getting playing time. So, essentially it doesn't look too shabby.

No, nobody is, but we are hoping.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Anyways, is anyone else quite anxious about our goaltenders? It definitely is the weakest point we have. Bunch of young, unstable goalies and an oldie, who is not consistent in his play either, and doesn't even have a club right now..

All this Gudlevskis hype.. Sure, he is a good talent, but in World Championships, he already came in when there was little to no pressure on him. If we are accepting the fact, that he will face the number one goalie duties, how do you reckon he will fare with that?

I couldn't disagree more. Gudlevskis came in when they were on the cusp of being relegated to Division 1 for the first time in 18 years. He came in with only a few periods of men's level pro experience to his credit and backstopped them to an improbable comeback from the brink. Sure Masalskis would have taken most of the blame had they fallen out, but to say there was no pressure on him is ridiculous. I'd say he's under less pressure here, as there is no relegation to worry about, and the worst that he can do is the same as Irbe, Naumovs and Masalskis have done before him, which is to finish dead last at the Olympics.

As for the goalie pool, sure they are young and relatively inexperienced, but I wouldn't call them unstable. Guddy has been as stable as they come this year, giving his teams a chance to win every night (even on the off nights when he allowed 4 or 5 goals, he held his own in the shootout), while both the Swiss kids are now essentially splitting starting duties with much more experienced goaltenders (Punnenovs' has better numbers than his teammate Aebischer), and have been solid and dependable in general as well. I would have to think that Merzlikins gets the nod over Punnenovs due to superior stats (13 games 1.92 GAA .932 SV - besting guys like Huet and Gerber), but both have been pleasant surprises. Quite frankly the only reason Masalskis will still have a spot on the Olympic team is because they owe him as much out of respect for past services rendered, and it's always good to have a veteran in the locker room. At least this time the club-less goalie on the team will be out of choice, not necessity, which I suppose is slightly less embarrassing and pathetic.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jun 8, 2012
I couldn't disagree more. Gudlevskis came in when they were on the cusp of being relegated to Division 1 for the first time in 18 years. He came in with only a few periods of men's level pro experience to his credit and backstopped them to an improbable comeback from the brink. Sure Masalskis would have taken most of the blame had they fallen out, but to say there was no pressure on him is ridiculous. I'd say he's under less pressure here, as there is no relegation to worry about, and the worst that he can do is the same as Irbe, Naumovs and Masalskis have done before him, which is to finish dead last at the Olympics.

As for the goalie pool, sure they are young and relatively inexperienced, but I wouldn't call them unstable. Guddy has been as stable as they come this year, giving his teams a chance to win every night (even on the off nights when he allowed 4 or 5 goals, he held his own in the shootout), while both the Swiss kids are now essentially splitting starting duties with much more experienced goaltenders (Punnenovs' has better numbers than his teammate Aebischer), and have been solid and dependable in general as well. I would have to think that Merzlikins gets the nod over Punnenovs due to superior stats (13 games 1.92 GAA .932 SV - besting guys like Huet and Gerber), but both have been pleasant surprises. Quite frankly the only reason Masalskis will still have a spot on the Olympic team is because they owe him as much out of respect for past services rendered, and it's always good to have a veteran in the locker room. At least this time the club-less goalie on the team will be out of choice, not necessity, which I suppose is slightly less embarrassing and pathetic.
But remember that Gudlevskis has Nhl in the back of his head now. He needs to and wants to impress Tampa Bay. Before World Championships that wasn't the situation. So now he won't be going out with a mental attitude of whatever happens, everyone will pat me on the back saying i did my best anyway, no. People, the fans, and anyone in the national team will be expecting some kind of decent performances from him, even if you can't get relegated. And if he doesn't produce it, well he's on the bench, let's make way for another talented keeper! It should be in everyone's best intentions to strive for and demand victories. I don't want the team to go there and get beaten without mercy.
Regardless, i still think he should be number one goalie, but the fact that he will play in an underdog team against all of the stars worries me. I guess it will be a truly good experience for him either way.

I really enjoy seeing Punnenovs and Merzlikins playing in what is such a strong Swiss league, however none have impressed in juniors..

Completely agree, Masalskis should be on the roster whatever happens. You could even say that he could be a good role model, a mentor to the young kids.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
But remember that Gudlevskis has Nhl in the back of his head now. He needs to and wants to impress Tampa Bay. Before World Championships that wasn't the situation.

I think you're overthinking things. In your case "anxiety" is truly a right word. Gudlevskis is not an UFA looking for a club, he's already in Tampa's system and has been doing plenty of impressing there, so I don't know what else could he show in the Olympics.

Arthur

Jun 8, 2012
I think you're overthinking things. In your case "anxiety" is truly a right word. Gudlevskis is not an UFA looking for a club, he's already in Tampa's system and has been doing plenty of impressing there, so I don't know what else could he show in the Olympics.
No anxiety here about anything, just discussing goaltending matters, because i feel way more confident about defenders and forwards, that is, if everyone is healthy.

By the way, last night, Gudlevskis let in 4 goals on 20 shots and with half the game got replaced. Good luck to him next game!

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No anxiety here about anything, just discussing goaltending matters, because i feel way more confident about defenders and forwards, that is, if everyone is healthy.

By the way, last night, Gudlevskis let in 4 goals on 20 shots and with half the game got replaced. Good luck to him next game!

Syracuse was completely dominated that game and gave him no help. The shot total for the game was 47-15 I believe. Two of the goals were on the PP.

The team we have in Syracuse is well below par so if he can play well there it should be like the Olympics with the Latvian team being overmatched and he might keep them in some games.

Arthur

Jun 8, 2012
Syracuse was completely dominated that game and gave him no help. The shot total for the game was 47-15 I believe. Two of the goals were on the PP.

The team we have in Syracuse is well below par so if he can play well there it should be like the Olympics with the Latvian team being overmatched and he might keep them in some games.
aha, i see. Syracuse have dropped 4 straight and are playing not so well. It just seems that no matter who is in the net, they can't keep the pucks out of the net..
The good thing though is that they are still hanging around the playoff spot.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Sure it's not like having Lundqvist in the net but those fringe KHLers Latvian roster is stacked with are not Crosbies and Zetterbergs either.

Also I fail to see how will Latvians have anything more to lose in the Olympics than in WC. Nobody's expecting anything anyway.
You're way off, buddy. I'm not sure that you know what the word 'fringe' means. Or maybe you just don't know that much about Latvian hockey or maybe you're just being provocative. :)

The Latvian national team doesn't have *a single* KHL fringe player on its roster. Virtually everyone is playing a major role on their respective teams (not only in KHL). Half of the team has been drafted by an NHL team/has an NHL contract or NHL experience.

I genuinely can't even think of any possible exceptions who could make the lineup. Maybe Koba Jass, but he probably won't make it. Furthermore, guys like him would be limited to a checking role with very limited ice time. And he's playing in Extraliga, not KHL. Who else could fit the bill of a "fringe KHLer"? Literally can't think of anyone else. Pavlovs? 0.35+PPG is not fringe by any means. Equivalent of a 30p season in the NHL and he would be limited to a checking role as well. DžeriņÅ¡ had 0.52PPG in the KHL last season and he's going to be the 3rd line C most likely. And I've run out of names.

I mean, sure, we are nowhere near as good as the Canadians and that's putting it mildly, but we've actually got a decent team. I don't expect any blowout losses this year and we definitely have a shot at getting points from the Swiss or the Czechs. I wouldn't be too surprised to see us in the top 8. Last time we only lost in the OT vs. Czechs.

We've got enough depth even with all the injuries and the competition is so huge that several KHL-tier players won't even make the lineup (or a guy like Jekimovs from SM-Liiga, guys from the Slovakian/Czech leagues, etc.). 12 years ago in Salt Lake City we had guys from Mestis and Oberliga in our lineup. :laugh:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
You're way off, buddy. I'm not sure that you know what the word 'fringe' means. Or maybe you just don't know that much about Latvian hockey or maybe you're just being provocative. :)

The Latvian national team doesn't have *a single* KHL fringe player on its roster. Virtually everyone is playing a major role on their respective teams (not only in KHL). Half of the team has been drafted by an NHL team/has an NHL contract or NHL experience.

I genuinely can't even think of any possible exceptions who could make the lineup. Maybe Koba Jass, but he probably won't make it. Furthermore, guys like him would be limited to a checking role with very limited ice time. And he's playing in Extraliga, not KHL. Who else could fit the bill of a "fringe KHLer"? Literally can't think of anyone else. Pavlovs? 0.35+PPG is not fringe by any means. Equivalent of a 30p season in the NHL and he would be limited to a checking role as well. DžeriņÅ¡ had 0.52PPG in the KHL last season and he's going to be the 3rd line C most likely. And I've run out of names.

I mean, sure, we are nowhere near as good as the Canadians and that's putting it mildly, but we've actually got a decent team. I don't expect any blowout losses this year and we definitely have a shot at getting points from the Swiss or the Czechs. I wouldn't be too surprised to see us in the top 8. Last time we only lost in the OT vs. Czechs.

We've got enough depth even with all the injuries and the competition is so huge that several KHL-tier players won't even make the lineup (or a guy like Jekimovs from SM-Liiga, guys from the Slovakian/Czech leagues, etc.). 12 years ago in Salt Lake City we had guys from Mestis and Oberliga in our lineup. :laugh:

Then you are in for a suprise,i for one have a feeling almost ALL our games will be blowouts,especially against Swiss,theres no way we take points from them.

Going into olympics from the hockey team i excpect only one thing- to work their ass off and not get blown so badly that even we have to be put in shame.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Until we have 6 or more NHL players who score regularly like Denmark,we aint winning anything.

How do you think Denmark will fare in Sochi with all their NHL-ers? :laugh:

But basically, Namejs is a notch too optimistic and BalticWarrior again shows how ironic is his nickname. :)

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
I'am pretty optimistic too. I'am trying to be. :D

Its not like Swiss will have much stronger team then ours, name wise. Yeah, they will have couple of NHL`ers, but nothing too big. The problem is, they always have team like that, many guys from NLA, with additions from NHL, and still they are playing wayyyy better then us last couple of years.

Czechs too. Of course they will have team full of NHL`ers, but not a team full of superstars (like Swredes will). Maybe for someone this could sound silly, but I dont think we are so out of reach vs them.

And Swedes, ok, nothing to add here. I hope we can play a decent game. A point would be a miracle. :D

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Then you are in for a suprise,i for one have a feeling almost ALL our games will be blowouts,especially against Swiss,theres no way we take points from them.

Going into olympics from the hockey team i excpect only one thing- to work their ass off and not get blown so badly that even we have to be put in shame.
That's just being irrational.

No one knows what will happen. A blowout against Sweden is probable, but I don't think it's going to happen. The rest of the group isn't at an another dimension. Just look at our record against the Swiss and the Czechs. How many blowout losses do you see there? Not that many. :) And we've played a lot.

The Swiss team is at the point where it's starting to get overrated after that great play-off run during the WCH, which is effectively a second tier tournament with the best teams sending their B, C, D lineups.

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
That's just being irrational.

No one knows what will happen. A blowout against Sweden is probable, but I don't think it's going to happen. The rest of the group isn't at an another dimension. Just look at our record against the Swiss and the Czechs. How many blowout losses do you see there? Not that many. :) And we've played a lot.

The Swiss team is at the point where it's starting to get overrated after that great play-off run during the WCH, which is effectively a second tier tournament with the best teams sending their B, C, D lineups.

I was lurking this thread because of Merzlikins, but I have to say this: the silver-medal switzerland of this year had a C-lineup, not even B. Anyway I think we are mentally to fragile to win games while not being the underdog, also when people start respecting us, so I do think we are going to make a mediocre tournament, unless the guys pull out a huge, hidden winning mentality.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA

When have the Swiss last blown anyone out? They don't blow teams out, they just win.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I was lurking this thread because of Merzlikins, but I have to say this: the silver-medal switzerland of this year had a C-lineup, not even B. Anyway I think we are mentally to fragile to win games while not being the underdog, also when people start respecting us, so I do think we are going to make a mediocre tournament, unless the guys pull out a huge, hidden winning mentality.
Switzerland is a dark horse for sure. It can pull off a surprise and go on another play-off run and it can, well, lose to Latvia and end up playing against Sweden in the '1/8 final'.

We always tend to root for the underdog, so I'm sure most Latvian fans will be supporting you guys apart from that 1 game. :) It's just great to see a team that was more or less at the same level as us some 15-20 years ago and is now making such huge strides at developing their hockey programme.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Sorry for the doublepost, just a fun fact: in the last 10 years we've played 7 official games against the Swiss.

The record is 3-1-3 with the GD being 14-15 in favor of the Swiss. Is that close or what? :D

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Hint: Your best forward just got fired from a mid-tier KHL team. Another one: Dinamo's captain last year got fired awhile ago and seems to be unable to find a new team. Mikelis Redlihs picked up a tenth point for Loko not that long ago.. in his second season with a team. How many Latvian players would there be in the KHL if there was no Dinamo and a foreigner limit would apply to them? 3?

Talking about Dinamo, they're led by the Canadian and Slovak offensively, Indrasis is the only legit top-6 Latvian forward of the team. Dzerins has ~0.5 PPG average but still can't win a face-off to save his life. I mean wake up and smell a coffee, mediocre NCAA player is a legitimate option to be a second line center for you guys.

Half of the team was drafted? So what? Half of the Swiss team actually plays in the NHL, there's kind of big difference. And what has that Czech team you went to OT last year to do with an actual Olympic Czech team which is 4 lines deep and will the beat the living crap out of Latvians?

You are dreaming man.. Seriously, wake the hell up.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Chill guys, everyone knows that we are hot favorites for Korea18 after we spanked Slovenia at U20's yesterday. Sochi arrived too soon for us. :)

Arthur

Jun 8, 2012
Whatever happens in the Olympics, remember guys, that names,clubs and leagues are not on the ice- it's real people and everyone is bound to make errors, mistakes or just get unlucky.
Either way, we will be underdogs in every single game, but so what? This is more of a celebration than anything else. The road to this tournament was a rocky one and at this point i am just happy that we made it here. Crossing my fingers and hope for a good showing and a point here and there is all i am thinking about right now :)

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I mean wake up and smell a coffee, mediocre NCAA player is a legitimate option to be a second line center for you guys.
Oh, OK then, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. ::laugh:

A potential NHL rookie of the year is a legitimate option to be a second/third line center for us. Bļugers (the only Latvian NCAA center, so you probably meant him) didn't make the extended list of 50 players.

Open your eyes and back up what you said earlier with some hard facts please or I'll have to say you're full of ****.

Hint: Your best forward just got fired from a mid-tier KHL team. Another one: Dinamo's captain last year got fired awhile ago and seems to be unable to find a new team. Mikelis Redlihs picked up a tenth point for Loko not that long ago.. in his second season with a team. How many Latvian players would there be in the KHL if there was no Dinamo and a foreigner limit would apply to them? 3?
M. Rēdlihs, Dārziņš have had the equivalent of a 50-70 point season in the KHL. :) The Russian teams had no idea what they were doing when they signed them (the only exception here is Moscow Dynamo, which is coached by Znaroks, who actually knows Karsums). Just buying a good goal scoarer and throwing him somewhere in the lineup isn't how it's supposed to work.

Dārziņš isn't our best forward, he's probably our best floater on the team. Sure, he's skilled, but when he's limited to a 3rd/4th line role (like in AK Bars), there's not much use of him.

Also, he wasn't fired because he was playing bad, he was sent to VHL because of his injury problems, which is exactly what the coach of his team said. He was the leader of his team in KHL, playing on the 1st line. And apparently they were forcing him to play without fully healing his injury, so there's that.

Galviņš probably won't make the lineup. No idea why you're mentioning Dinamo or the number of KHLers on our team. Only about 4 or 5 players will probably make the lineup from the Latvian KHL team (Kr. Rēdlihs, who's a top4 defender with a good size and a good wrist shot and this isn't his 1st KHL club, Indrašis who's got speed, great hands and who's been one of the Dinamo offensive leaders this season and who's been in a couple of NHL training camps because of his skill + probably won't last very long in Riga with the number of offers he'll have, Ozoliņš/Pujacs who both might or might not make the lineup, but the both of them have been leading defenders in other KHL teams + I already mentioned Pavlovs/Džeriņš, who are either having a break-out season in the KHL or had it last year respectively). So that's more or less similar to the number of SKA players on the Russian lineup.

So this is the list of potential KHL players who might make the lineup:

D
Kr. Rēdlihs (has played in another KHL team, 0.5 PPG)
Ozoliņš (has played in another KHL team, 7 time NHL All-Star player, 0.5 PPG)
Pujacs (has played in 5/6 different Russian Superleague/KHL teams, a reliable defender with a good slapshot)
Bārtulis (is playing on another KHL team, NHL experience, has played in Stanley Cup finals)
Kulda (is playing on another KHL team, has NHL experience, one of the defensive leaders of a top-tier KHL team)
Sotnieks (a stable, reliable stay-at-home defender for the Dinamo Riga)

F
Indrašis (will play on another KHL team, top 6 winger for Dinamo Riga, 0.75PPG)
Džeriņš (break-out season last year; is a 0.5PPG guy a fringe player?)
Pavlovs (break-out season this year, 0.35-0.4PPG with size and grit, will play on the 4th line)
Sprukts (plays on another KHL team, has NHL experience, 0.7 PPG a couple of seasons ago)
Dārziņš (plays on another KHL team, a PPG guy a couple of seasons ago)
M. Rēdlihs (plays on another KHL team, 0.8 PPG a couple of seasons ago)
Cipulis (has played on another KHL team, 0.4PPG, potential back up/3rd line energy player in case of injuries)

So that's 5 players who are already playing in other KHL clubs and another 5-7 who could get a contract with a KHL side. Only a couple of them would have to sign elsewhere in top European leagues, if Dinamo Riga was disbanded (probably Pavlovs, Sotnieks, Džeriņš).

UPDATE: forgot about Karsums who's blowing up the league in the Gagarin Cup-winning Moscow Dynamo this season. So that makes it 6/5-7 for a total of about 11 to 13 KHL-tier, full time players. 3 other players with NHL contracts, 3 guys in the NLA either with NHL experience or about to get drafted by an NHL team, 3 or 4 KHL fillers/full-time players from Dinamo Riga and a couple of guys from SM-Liiga, Extraliga and other top European leagues who might or might not make the lineup as bottom 4/bottom 6 Ds/Fs.

So, once again, you're way off, buddy. You're officially completely incompetent in Latvian hockey.

Half of the team was drafted? So what? Half of the Swiss team actually plays in the NHL, there's kind of big difference. And what has that Czech team you went to OT last year to do with an actual Olympic Czech team which is 4 lines deep and will the beat the living crap out of Latvians?
As for Czech Republic, I was actually talking about Vancouver OG. :) Refresh your memory here:
As for the Swiss team, they only have about 6 or 7 outfield NHL players, half of whom are fringe players/currently playing in AHL.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Man, you live in a fantasy world.. From calling Girgensons a potential rookie of the year to mentioning good Pujacs' slapshot which was really funny, by the way :laugh: And 3rd line Darzins played on in Ak Bars featured Tereshchenko and Kiril Petrov..

Well it doesn't matter, obviously you just want to see things your way and that's your right.

I still can't understand though how you are so quick to call others "incompetent" while you yourself just write this PPG this PPG that stuff and can acknowledge obvious shortcomings of those players.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad