Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XV) (Released, Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2009
Hockey Canada really suprises me with its stupidity on big iced events. It's as if they don't understand that you have to be a good skater, you will not be effective if your not. This team will be eliminated before the semis. What a shame.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Plus with MSL he's been told all of his life that he's too small. Been passed over by so many teams and the when he gets a chance all he does is win the Cup and Hart trophies. You just have to pull for a guy like that.

Plus, and I may be the only one, I thought he (MSL) played well in Turin.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
This team is what I expected other than Jeff Carter over Claude Giroux. I think taking Nash and Carter over Giroux and St. Louis is a mistake. I also think if Couture was healthy he would be there over Duchene but I am happy Duchene made it. I would not take Hamhuis over Dan Boyle either.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Why the **** are people surprised about Bouwmeester or Hamhuis? They both had a high chance for looooong time now.

The only two questionable moves are Kunitz and Nash for Giroux and St. Louis.

ovechkinfan30

Jan 7, 2014
Guessing Babcock dresses 12 forwards and 8 dmen

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Hamhuis-Weber
Keith-Doughty
Vlasic-Subban

Hamhuis has a lot of experience playing with Weber

I would have

Keith-Doughty
Vlasic-Weber
Bouwmeester-Subban
7th Hamhuis
scratch Pietrangelo

Darth Handsome*

I'd have Clarke centre Ellis & Henderson (and no matter what happens, make sure Savard is in the line-up).

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Since the beginning of the 2012 season only seven players have averaged a point a game.

Crosby: 1.53 (514 career games)
Stamkos: 1.20 (390 career games)
Giroux: 1.07 (375 career games)
Neal: 1.05 (378 career games)
St. Louis: 1.03 (1,021 career games)
Tavares: 1.01 (334 career games)
Hall: 1.00 (209 career games)

Given that Stamkos may be injured and thus may not play, we will have brought 2 of our top 7 scorers.

Alan

Jan 5, 2014
It pisses me off to no end that St. Louis didn't make it. How in the world can you justify it? He is 4th in scoring since the beginning of the 05/06 season - after only Ovechkin, Thornton and Crosby - and is still one of the best offensive players in the league. His speed and shiftiness would be a huge asset on the big international ice.

Seriously, what gives?

I've got a lot of love for MSL, but I think he got caught in the "too many of one kind of player" trap. He plays a great two way game, has speed and offensive creativity. As does Duchene. As does Sharp. As does Marleau. As does Crosby. As does Toews. As does Getzlaf (well, minus the speed I guess)...

Also, the greatest asset he would bring to Team Canada would be his chemistry with Stammer, but with Stamkos slotted to play right wing, they would not even be playing together...

Josssh

Nov 18, 2009
I think it'll be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Stamkos
Duchene-Tavares-Carter
Sharp-Toews-Nash
Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry

13th - Bergeron
Out- Benn

If Kunitz, Carter, Nash or Marleau look out of place you toss Benn in to fill that spot.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
This team is what I expected other than Jeff Carter over Claude Giroux. I think taking Nash and Carter over Giroux and St. Louis is a mistake. I also think if Couture was healthy he would be there over Duchene but I am happy Duchene made it. I would not take Hamhuis over Dan Boyle either.

Trust me, you do not want Boyle on this team.

Snipsnap12

Nov 16, 2010
Since the beginning of the 2012 season only seven players have averaged a point a game.

Crosby: 1.53 (514 career games)
Stamkos: 1.20 (390 career games)
Giroux: 1.07 (375 career games)
Neal: 1.05 (378 career games)
St. Louis: 1.03 (1,021 career games)
Tavares: 1.01 (334 career games)
Hall: 1.00 (209 career games)

Given that Stamkos may be injured and thus may not play, we will have brought 2 of our top 7 scorers.

For crumble under pressure Marleau, what have you done for me lately Rick Nash, and riding coat tails Kunitz

nwaZ*

Hockey Canada really suprises me with its stupidity on big iced events. It's as if they don't understand that you have to be a good skater, you will not be effective if your not. This team will be eliminated before the semis. What a shame.

Who are the players that bother you skating-wise?

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
ps. I will be the poster formerly known as vanwest if Canada wins gold. :)

c23b6a5f33675b62b923a03d4a1c92ee26b92e0c694cbc472fbea9d7fdeca39f.jpg

habitue*

I've got a lot of love for MSL, but I think he got caught in the "too many of one kind of player" trap. He plays a great two way game, has speed and offensive creativity. As does Duchene. As does Sharp. As does Marleau. As does Crosby. As does Toews. As does Getzlaf (well, minus the speed I guess)...

Also, the greatest asset he would bring to Team Canada would be his chemistry with Stammer, but with Stamkos slotted to play right wing, they would not even be playing together...

They would had with Crosby centering them, and Kunitz out of the line up.

ovechkinfan30

Jan 7, 2014
I think MSL didnt make it since the players who played poorly in Turin (except for Nash who was only 21 then) were essentialy blacklisted for future teams for Canada. There is no other plausible explanation to how he missed not only here, but the Vancouver team too, but this time even more.

Philoveritas

Dec 7, 2013
So Yzerman waited to announce Tavares in the last 3 players along with Stamkos and Toews, and then he's not even going to play? Right.

Umm...It was alphabetical by position...it went Stamkos, Tavares, Toews. Benn, Bergeron, Carter first named...cant read anything into how they were named.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think MSL didnt make it since the players who played poorly in Turin (except for Nash who was only 21 then) were essentialy blacklisted for future teams for Canada. There is no other plausible explanation to how he missed not only here, but the Vancouver team too, but this time even more.

Maybe he would have made it this time if Stamkos would have been 100% playing?
If Stamkos is out they may not want MSL by himself. As well, the team is pretty set for centers. He was in tough for that position.

Snipsnap12

Nov 16, 2010
Would of also been nice to see what Giroux could do on a line with all star players, no offence to hart ell and voracek, but hes not exactly toews playing with sharp, getzlaf with perry.. Etc

Not too mention playing with those guys he is only behind malkin in points scored over last 3 years.... Such a shame to leave him off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad