Review: 2013 Warrior Covert DT4 LT OPS

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I needed to pick up a new stick for my kid and ended up grabbing the Warrior Covert DT4 LT for myself to try the W28 Yakupov curve.

I put the Warrior W28 up against the Easton E28 and it's pretty much identical all around. It's a true to curve, similar to the P92, but instead of curving in the middle, it curves near the toe. The rocker is also different, as we discussed in the big E28/P14 thread.

I got the 75 flex senior stick, which is a bit stiffer than normal as I usually go for 65-70 flex intermediates. The stick is a hair whippier than rated, but it's still stiffer than I like when cut down. It should be okay though.

The weight is on the heavier side compared to a top end stick, but it's lighter than most price points I've felt, listed at 485 grams or so. I have a Nexus 600 which is listed at 515 grams and the difference is very noticeable. The balance is a lot better. Not top end good, but for $99 it's fantastic.

Once I cut it down and taped it up, I tried shooting some pucks in my basement. The curve is very intuitive for me. Cup the puck, aim, and fire. I have struggled to find a curve that matches my shooting style.

First impression is that it works really well for the quick snap shot that I like to take, which is cupping the puck and a quick release toward the target. Because of the curve near the toe, you can cup and fire off the toe without fluttering as you would have on a P92 or Drury curve, and the little rocker near the toe seems very natural as you draw the puck across the body, allowing the bottom of the blade to be flat on the ice (unlike the P14 which is toe exaggerated).

Anyways, shots went to the upper corners easily and could still be kept down. I will likely still have my misses high and wide, but I think it might be more predictable than the Drury and a little easier to control.

After shooting, I tried some stick handling with a wooden ball and a golf ball. Most price point sticks have terrible puck feel. This one so far might be good. The blade seems a little thicker with a 12k wrap and I'm guessing (hoping?) some decent foams inside. Compared to my Covert DT2, it actually seemed to deaden the feel slightly, which is much better than the bouncy ceramic feel of most cheap sticks. Hard to tell until I get on the ice, but it may have more of a wood like feel which is fantastic at this price. I'll update after I test it tomorrow.

The only downside seems to be the weight of the stick, which is great for the price point but not so much when you're spoiled by good sticks. Too much weight means I won't use it in games, but hopefully this is light enough to look past it. I felt while stickhandling a bit more fatigue set in and a little more sluggish movement compared to the high end sticks.

What else...it feels like a standard Warrior stick with straight walls and rounded corners. It has a gloss grip with no texture. The finish is similar to the old Coverts and this particular one is black with white accents. Nice look to it.

Tomorrow I skate in the morning and night so I'll have some good impressions after then. Here are some photos comparing to a Warrior W03 (P92 type):

W03 left W28 right:

Same thing from a little higher angle:

Profile of W28 top and W03 bottom:

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Feeback from my two skates:

First thing you notice is the weight, and for me it's noticeably heavier than high end sticks. It's not unusable, but it's a nagging thing. Heavier sticks seem to give me a hitch in my shot, almost like a slight delay in shooting. The balance is decent. Granted I'm comparing it to high end sticks, so in the price point it's still the best I've seen.

Second thing was the flex. It is definitely on the stiff side for me, to the point I don't feel it flex much while using it. Of course I don't take slappers so that's part of it. It will be a nagging bother as well.

Third, the puck feel. This is surprising for this price point. Most sticks in this range have very crappy blades that has jumpy puck feel. That is to say, hard passes tend to bounce off and the blade feels so lively that it's hard to control the puck. This one actually has a good blade. It reminds me a bit of the One95 OPS blade, which was thick and felt kind of dead like wood. That tech has been surpassed by by newer blades that are thinner which "grab" pucks yet still feel lively, but I'll take a wood-like blade feel over the cheap ceramic feel of crappy sticks any day.

In the game, that meant that intercepting passes with one hand was no problem, or tipping pucks into the zone, or catching hot passes, etc. Stickhandling was fine, added weight aside. Excellent and for me something I've never seen in this price range.

Fourth, the curve. Oh man, this is fun. You can see from the pics that's it's a real, honest toe curve. I haven't used a true composite toe curve before, only wood blades I had curved myself, and most of them ended up being bananas that were hard to use.

This curve is great. You can shoot off the mid-heel and the puck stays close to the ice, or you can shoot off the toe and it rises up quickly. The generally flatter blade means to me that the puck stays more on target, especially with the flatter lie on the bottom of the blade. I didn't have problems whiffing on pucks as I sometimes do with the P14.

I really only got a couple good shots on goal last night. The first I cut between the defense and took a hard snap shot from the top of the circles middle of the ice. Goalie had a lot of trouble, making the first save, then the puck going up in the air and a scrum for it until covered. Second shot was a 3-on-1 that I was able to cut around the defenseman and go in by myself, and that I tried to shoot 5-hole from up close so any rebound would come out to my linemates, but somehow goalie saved and steered the rebound to the corner super quickly. No good shots from out further, so will have to wait and see on that.

The other big thing with the curve is stickhandling and toe drags...and it's money. Best I've ever used. Toe drags are so easy with the toe curve as expected. Sometimes with the P92 the puck doesn't get trapped clean and it slides off the blade, or you have to exaggerate the wrist roll to cup the puck. Very easy with the W28 curve. Traps the puck nicely so you can dangle it out for the opposition and then bring it along and get behind them. I was able to do that a few times and hopefully more in the future to get some goals. Also, it's easy to do the move where you drag the puck in and flip it up in the air with this curve, FWIW.

No skates again until next weekend, unless I somehow get some outdoor ice time. I'll keep shooting in my basement to try and get used to the weight/flex.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I like that Warrior is offering this on lower end sticks. I have a feeling that this pattern will have more staying power compared to the Gionta since most pro toe curves I've seen are basically the W28.

SacredPetra

Dec 24, 2012
Colorado
Now I want to try that W28! I really liked the W03, but wanted to try something with a slightly more open face and to my eye ( which admittedly knows almost nothing) it looks like this might fit the bill.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
If they can put this W28 curve on their intermediates sticks as well as introduce it to the other lines (like DT3, DT2, etc), I don't know if I would use any other company.

Well...unless Bauer makes a really awesome price point Vapor stick with the same curve.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Got four skates in this weekend including one game.

After working with this stick through the week, I found that you don't want to shoot right from the toe, but either the mid or mid-toe region. There's some wobble off the toe unless you really try to roll the puck off the toe (by pulling the stick in as you shoot).

In warmups, I was shooting very well, once again hitting corners while grazing the posts. Beat the goalie clean a few times in warmups, which I haven't been doing since last year.

Had what I would say my best shooting game all year. I took 9 or 10 shots with only one missing the net (just wide as I curled to the middle of the ice and took a low shot) and one getting blocked. Most of the shots were around the edges of the net, again a big improvement over shots that were into the pads or chest before.

Scored two goals, both of which I would say the changed curve played a role. First goal was a puck that I believe was cleared from the slot right up the middle of the ice. I was going to that area, saw it coming and just kind of snapped at it, where it went in high blocker. Second goal was on the rush where I was coming in on the left side, the defender was coming in to meet me from the right side, so I took a quick wrist shot that kissed the post and went in. Again, this is the shot that typically goes wide or hits the goalie for me lately.

The other big thing was two strong slap shots that I took, which is rare. My slappers, especially using 55-65 flex sticks, are not all that strong and tend to stay low and miss the net. I took one slapper as a loose puck was cleared to me on the left side as I entered the zone, mostly to get the puck on net as a defenseman was about to intercept me. The goalie made a strong glove save, otherwise it might have snuck in high glove. The other shot was from the left point, where everyone was kind of standing still and I wanted to get the puck on net so we could change. The goalie for whatever reason tried to glove it as it was going low, struggled with the save and lost the puck in his pads. I mention that again because my slappers suck normally but I (and others) thought those were good shots.

I also caught a lot more passes in warmups and throughout the game and can definitely attest to the blade doing a good job of dampening the pucks so they don't bounce off. I can't stress enough that I have never seen that in a price point stick (and even in my old Vapor X:60).

Conclusions after second week:

- Curve allows for accurate wrist shots that get up a little quicker than a P92 but are still controlled compared to P91

- Slapshots taken from the middle of the blade stay nice and low

- Lower lie and slightly longer stick are helping to take shots off the toe and get around defenders a little easier

- Flex still feels true to rating which for me is a bit stiff

- Puck feel is much like wood, deadening passes

- Weight is still a bit heavy and annoying, but definitely usable

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
So what you are saying is that the lower end of the Warrior Covert DT line is legit?

I have nice sticks but I've been noticing lately that weight (anything around/below 500 grams) is much less of an issue than the balance once I cut it (I don't like sticks that are too blade heavy).

Would you and/or other guys say that warrior is currently one of the best value stick makers for the ~$100 (retail) sticks?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
So what you are saying is that the lower end of the Warrior Covert DT line is legit?

I have nice sticks but I've been noticing lately that weight (anything around/below 500 grams) is much less of an issue than the balance once I cut it (I don't like sticks that are too blade heavy).

Would you and/or other guys say that warrior is currently one of the best value stick makers for the ~$100 (retail) sticks?

Yes, I would say so. I haven't used a ton of price points, but I can compare it to the Nexus 600. Total Hockey listed the Nexus 600 around 515 grams and the DT4LT around 489 grams. You can definitely feel the difference not just in overall weight but balance.

IMO, the sweet spot for a balanced stick is around 450 grams give or take 15-20. For me, anything 500 grams or over just feels like an anchor. The Nexus 600 is definitely unusable, but the DT4LT is okay.

TH also measures the DT3LT at 480 grams and the DT1LT at 472 grams, but I think the DT1LT (and DT2LT if they make it) are 3" longer than normal. The DT4LT certainly didn't seem that long when new and I remember the 2012 DT2 was insanely long for an intermediate.

It's unfortunate that Warrior doesn't offer the W28 curve in the DT3LT, as that would be (I assume) an excellent stick at the $149 range. A little lighter and a better blade. Maybe if it takes off, they will incorporate the W28 curve for more sticks this fall, and hopefully on intermediates as well.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Used the stick again last night.

In warmups, literally all my shots were going bar down for a stretch. It was absurd. Point and shoot, pipe and in, maybe 10 in a row.

I also found that if I grip the stick with my bottom hand lower, like 3/4 of the way down the stick or close to it, that you can really feel the dagger tapper area flex on slappers and they were much better. But then I had a bit of trouble catching the slappers too close to the toe and they were wobbling.

In game I again was able to get away quick slappers on the rush, which is a fun new thing for me. Good shots but I need to work on accuracy.

My wrist shots were very good as well, mostly going high and for the corners, but I faced the rare stand-up goalie and he was making some silly armpit saves.

I did have some trouble hanging on to the puck. It started in warmups, where I would cup the puck and take a tight turn on the forehand, the puck would roll off the blade, even though I'm cupping over on it. And that happened to me three times during the game, when we won the puck off the draw back to me at RW on the boards, then I grab the puck and curl to the middle to get the shot off, puck rolled off on me.

Still happy with the curve overall and the puck feel, still wish the stick was a little lighter, and getting used to the stiffer flex.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i am loving this stick which i bought off the recommendation of this thread. I am having trouble keeping snap/slap shots down, like mentioned earlier all bar down. i would be upset if not for the fact i effortless pick corners when i shoot (or miss the net a little high lol). i would love this curve in a lighter stick. I hope warrior comes through with that.

what would be the CCM or Easton equivalent of this curve?

gosinger

Nov 25, 2012
The Warrior W28 is a clone of the Easton E28, which is one of the "Kreps" variety of curves, which is a toe curve. Afaik CCM does not yet offer an equivalent curve.

Has anyone who tested DT3LT/DT1LT compared it with the DT4LT and has an opinion on the bang-per-buck factor?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The Warrior W28 is a clone of the Easton E28, which is one of the "Kreps" variety of curves, which is a toe curve. Afaik CCM does not yet offer an equivalent curve.

Has anyone who tested DT3LT/DT1LT compared it with the DT4LT and has an opinion on the bang-per-buck factor?

CCM has the Landeskog toe curve, which is somewhat similar to the E28 varieties.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'll be honest that the last two games I played, I used my Miken with the P14 curve. The weight of the stick started bugging me as I was flubbing the puck while stickhandling and the curve was throwing me off a bit when making sharp turns with the puck on my forehand.

I'll try and use the Warrior again this weekend as I do like how the curve shoots.

Also, I ordered a BASE with a little lighter flex and the same curve, so this will likely become the backup.

Still think it's an excellent value for a $99 stick, but most of us will still reach for a top end stick if we have the opportunity.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
i am loving this stick which i bought off the recommendation of this thread. I am having trouble keeping snap/slap shots down, like mentioned earlier all bar down. i would be upset if not for the fact i effortless pick corners when i shoot (or miss the net a little high lol). i would love this curve in a lighter stick. I hope warrior comes through with that.

Yes! Picking corners is so easy with this stick. Every shot seems like it tucks right under the bar (when you want it to).

Two of my three goals with this stick were right around the bars and in while two of my goals with the P14 curve were more middle of the net with the goalie out of position.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Reviving this thread. I got the DT4LT on clearance for $90, taxes included, with the W28 Yakupov (E28/Kreps curve clone). It's an absolute steal. The curve is amazing for stickhandling and pulling toe drags, it's rather light and balanced. The puck feel is similar to the Total One NXG's. It feels like a $150 stick. My previous stick was the APX, and the only difference I can feel so far is the weight. Can't wait to see how it kicks and how the curve behaves with the shots off the toe.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Agreed, the only thing holding this stick back is the weight, which is not bad for the price range. Solid puck feel and plenty of kick on it. Warrior knows their stuff.

I saw a 75 flex DT1LT with the W28 curve for only $170 at my LHS. I couldn't afford it, but I played around with it a little bit. It has the same puck feel as the DT4LT, but it's much lighter and has some nice texture on the shaft. It would be the perfect stick for me.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
this stick is awesome my local store had them on clearance so i bought all 5 of them lol

Hockey4Me

Jul 12, 2013
Florida, USA
Would you say that to someone that is an intermediate or beginner player they would not notice that much difference between the W28 and W03 (P92) curve? Because I have a W03 Kopitar curve, but I really want to try something with Toe curve, is there a big difference?

Got four skates in this weekend including one game.

After working with this stick through the week, I found that you don't want to shoot right from the toe, but either the mid or mid-toe region. There's some wobble off the toe unless you really try to roll the puck off the toe (by pulling the stick in as you shoot).

In warmups, I was shooting very well, once again hitting corners while grazing the posts. Beat the goalie clean a few times in warmups, which I haven't been doing since last year.

Had what I would say my best shooting game all year. I took 9 or 10 shots with only one missing the net (just wide as I curled to the middle of the ice and took a low shot) and one getting blocked. Most of the shots were around the edges of the net, again a big improvement over shots that were into the pads or chest before.

Scored two goals, both of which I would say the changed curve played a role. First goal was a puck that I believe was cleared from the slot right up the middle of the ice. I was going to that area, saw it coming and just kind of snapped at it, where it went in high blocker. Second goal was on the rush where I was coming in on the left side, the defender was coming in to meet me from the right side, so I took a quick wrist shot that kissed the post and went in. Again, this is the shot that typically goes wide or hits the goalie for me lately.

The other big thing was two strong slap shots that I took, which is rare. My slappers, especially using 55-65 flex sticks, are not all that strong and tend to stay low and miss the net. I took one slapper as a loose puck was cleared to me on the left side as I entered the zone, mostly to get the puck on net as a defenseman was about to intercept me. The goalie made a strong glove save, otherwise it might have snuck in high glove. The other shot was from the left point, where everyone was kind of standing still and I wanted to get the puck on net so we could change. The goalie for whatever reason tried to glove it as it was going low, struggled with the save and lost the puck in his pads. I mention that again because my slappers suck normally but I (and others) thought those were good shots.

I also caught a lot more passes in warmups and throughout the game and can definitely attest to the blade doing a good job of dampening the pucks so they don't bounce off. I can't stress enough that I have never seen that in a price point stick (and even in my old Vapor X:60).

Conclusions after second week:

- Curve allows for accurate wrist shots that get up a little quicker than a P92 but are still controlled compared to P91

- Slapshots taken from the middle of the blade stay nice and low

- Lower lie and slightly longer stick are helping to take shots off the toe and get around defenders a little easier

- Flex still feels true to rating which for me is a bit stiff

- Puck feel is much like wood, deadening passes

- Weight is still a bit heavy and annoying, but definitely usable

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Would you say that to someone that is an intermediate or beginner player they would not notice that much difference between the W28 and W03 (P92) curve?

A beginner might not notice the difference, but an intermediate player would.

All in my opinion, but the beginner should start with a neutral blade. The W28 is, also IMO, much more usable than the P92 because the middle of the blade (where you pass from) is more closed, and passes/shots are more controllable. Yet the open toe allows for rising shots, when desired.

It really is the best curve all-around that I've used so far and I would recommend it, but probably not for beginners.

Hockey4Me

Jul 12, 2013
Florida, USA
Thanks for the quick response, I think I will give the W28 a try. You are right about P92, sometimes my passes arent all that accurate. I currently use a CCM Tavares curve the most, but I noticed that I like to shoot off the toe, so I think this W28 will work well.

A beginner might not notice the difference, but an intermediate player would.

All in my opinion, but the beginner should start with a neutral blade. The W28 is, also IMO, much more usable than the P92 because the middle of the blade (where you pass from) is more closed, and passes/shots are more controllable. Yet the open toe allows for rising shots, when desired.

It really is the best curve all-around that I've used so far and I would recommend it, but probably not for beginners.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
i bought 3 more of these when i saw them at another store. best stick i have used since the mission blue one in like 2004

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad