2013 Season Columbus Blue Jacket Team Appreciation Thread!!

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'll eat a lot of crow for this season. One of the things I was right on was Nash needed to go. Good/great player but the culture needed to change.
-I thought we would be slightly above 500 but not really close. Wrong.
-I thought our tending would be average at best. Bob proved me wrong. Also Mason has played well once he got out.
-I thought our Coaching was just a cheap-@ss way to get through the lockout. I appear to be wrong again.
-I loved the JD hiring but I thought we had such a mess that it would be next year until we were competive (and again I don't consider 500 competitive that's still below average) and 2014-15 until we were ready.

Lot of folks have talked about the turning point of the franchise. Was it trading Nash, acquiring Jack Johnson, getting Bob, hiring JD? I'm not sure. For this year it seemed liked the Bob trade was the biggest (on the ice), but I still think getting JD in charge was the biggest.

I've only been satisified with 3 seasons - 1st season, 4 years ago when we got the playoffs and this season. So congrats to the team, the way they finished was outstanding. 3 first round picks, should be plenty of opportunities to pick up some salary cap casulaties, and a 1st class front office. Future looks bright!

Paisano*

Love this team, what they did and where they are going. Extremely disappointed we are not in the playoffs! Hopefully we are never in the situation of where we have to depend on someone else to get in again! We need to control our own destiny! With the youth on this team and with the skill they have, the future is bright! Cam and Matty are like Marty St. Louis X 2! Very exciting to watch! Add Jenner to the mix and look out! All we need is a tweak to the offense, add a little more scoring punch via trade or free agent so we don't have to depend on Bob so much. It's going to be tough in the same division as the Pens, Rangers, Caps, etc, but it's going to be fun. I believe we can play with any of those teams and be successful!

Go Jackets!!

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Optimism is at an all time high for me. We finished the season the right way, winning, and pushing the teams ahead of us, making them earn their spot in the top 8. I hope the upgrades, and replacements that are made are minimal and substantial. Don't disrupt the chemistry in the locker room. Keep Richards on, he's earned it imo.

I may catch some **** for this, but I'm kind of glad we didn't make it. Sounds crazy but for the long term of this team, missing these playoffs will be a good thing. Nothing will teach and reinforce the urgency and importance of every game like missing these playoffs. Never again should this team allow itself a 5-12 start to a season, now that they know how impossibly hard it is to recover from that.

Last thing, I'll never forget this team going 5-1 on this last six game road trip. For me, that was the real turning point for this organization.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'll eat a lot of crow for this season. One of the things I was right on was Nash needed to go. Good/great player but the culture needed to change.
-I thought our tending would be average at best. Bob proved me wrong. Also Mason has played well once he got out.
-I thought our Coaching was just a cheap-@ss way to get through the lockout. I appear to be wrong again.
-I loved the JD hiring but I thought we had such a mess that it would be next year until we were competive (and again I don't consider 500 competitive that's still below average) and 2014-15 until we were ready.

Lot of folks have talked about the turning point of the franchise. Was it trading Nash, acquiring Jack Johnson, getting Bob, hiring JD? I'm not sure. For this year it seemed liked the Bob trade was the biggest (on the ice), but I still think getting JD in charge was the biggest.

I've only been satisified with 3 seasons - 1st season, 4 years ago when we got the playoffs and this season. So congrats to the team, the way they finished was outstanding. 3 first round picks, should be plenty of opportunities to pick up some salary cap casulaties, and a 1st class front office. Future looks bright!

Great post. The bolded rings very true to me. I made this same remark to some friends Sunday afternoon.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

good post :handclap:

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
It is amazing to see how far this organization has come. Think back to the end of the last season. Lost the draft lottery, Nash trade, the beginning of the lockout, the cancellation of the All-Star Game, losing half the season, starting 5-12-2. Those were all "don't pee on my head and tell it's raining" moments.

The lone rays of sunshine during all those incredibly downer moments were the hiring of JD, and the firing of "Mr. ROW" SH and the hiring of a capable GM in JK.

I'll be the first to admit that while I bought season tickets for the "All-Star" perk, I had absolutely no confidence that the on-ice product would be any good. It was "same old Jackets" in my book. Oh, how I was wrong and I'm very proud to say that.

This team has reconnected with the fans and the players love to play here. I wish it were possible to have two captains, because Brandon Dubinsky and Jack Johnson exude everything we fans should want from a Columbus Blue Jacket. They are confident, work their ***** off and lay it on the line for their club and more importantly their teammates. This is the first time we fans have ever seen this save the inaugural season.

Personally, I like what I see and am encouraged with what the future looks like. Locking up players like Calvert and Atkinson and likely Bobrovsky and Anisimov to go with high character players like Dubi and JJ is the way you build a winner. It is refreshing to see what legitimate Management can do for a franchise. JD set the course and JK is going to find the players that "fit the mold." I can't wait to be back in my seats next season, which I can say I didn't think I would hear myself say.

Eastward Ho Boys and keep up the intensity for all 82 games next season, and the players and fans won't have to reflect on the disappointment. You've finally arrived, but don't rest on your laurels.

CincyHatTrick

Jun 26, 2006
Cincy
I won't say much because others have already said enough already; however all I can say is:

It was nice to be able to enjoy watching a Blue Jackets game. Honestly, just to sit down and watch a game that was exciting despite the outcome. Watching players wearing a CBJ jersey on the 3 stars of the week, and overall, knocking at the door of the post season instead of the Top 3 picks of the draft. The fans needed something besides another off season of "Columbus has the Number #____pick in this years draft."

I am excited. Being in the East will bring with it new challenges, new rivalries, and I am anxious for next season.

NickyMaz

Dec 19, 2011
Omaha, NE
I'm an NYR fan but I have a serious soft spot for the Jackets. Living just down the road in Dayton as allowed me to go do three games this year and each time has been a great experience. This team has a ton of heart and it's a lot of fun watching. I was lucky to be there at the game on Saturday and it was an awesome experience. The atmosphere at Nationwide was unreal. I was really disappointed they didn't make the playoffs but next year looks extremely promising. The East will offer new challenges but CBJ will do well. Can't wait for more games, I'll be rooting for the Jackets (unless they're playing the Rangers of course!)

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

I'll go back to summer 2011, when Vinny Prospal was signed. He was never known as a vocal guy, so for him to publicly unload on Scott Arniel (who was still the coach at the time) and a couple of unnamed players two months into a season for basically being content to go through the motions was something that hadn't happened previously.

I'll take a shot in the dark and say that if not for the overwhelming public support for Prospal's sentiments, the powers-that-be never even consider the idea of signing off on trading Nash and Carter. Everything that resembles "gutting the country club" started on that day.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I'll go back to summer 2011, when Vinny Prospal was signed. He was never known as a vocal guy, so for him to publicly unload on Scott Arniel (who was still the coach at the time) and a couple of unnamed players two months into a season for basically being content to go through the motions was something that hadn't happened previously.

I'll take a shot in the dark and say that if not for the overwhelming public support for Prospal's sentiments, the powers-that-be never even consider the idea of signing off on trading Nash and Carter. Everything that resembles "gutting the country club" started on that day.

Fedorov spoke out without saying names at one time.. I think Peca made some public comments too but can't recall for sure...

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Fedorov spoke out without saying names at one time.. I think Peca made some public comments too but can't recall for sure...

As I recall, Feds did single out Nash and Zherdev as young players who needed to work harder in practice. Nash may have listened (or, at least, he went on to a number of productive seasons), but Nikki was said to have paid no attention to his fellow countryman, at all.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
As I recall, Feds did single out Nash and Zherdev as young players who needed to work harder in practice. Nash may have listened (or, at least, he went on to a number of productive seasons), but Nikki was said to have paid no attention to his fellow countryman, at all.

I didn't recall him mentioning names, guess he did..

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

It is folly to try and isolate one "turning point." What is being attempted here is a sea change, a paradigm shift. Those are complicated, multi-layered and broad.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
It is folly to try and isolate one "turning point." What is being attempted here is a sea change, a paradigm shift. Those are complicated, multi-layered and broad.

You could go back as far as last year when the players resolved to finish over .500 in the last 20 games and they went 11-9.

There have been a lot of turning points in the last year.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
My favorite team and season of the history of the franchise, even the playoff year!

Anyone seen any great highlight videos anywhere? I saw a great one 10TV played but it was on youtube from some persons cell phone, anyone know where I can get that? It was made to the opening music they used quite a bit and they used George's calls because Rimmer is a bore...Please post if anyone has that. Awesome season Jackets! Most fun I've had in years! Can't wait for next season!

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
If I remember correctly Federov called out Nash and Zherdev either mid period or after a game on FSN. It was when all three were playing on the same line, he called them out for being selfish with the puck, not using teammates, etc.. That was also the last time Federov ever spoke up thanks to Dougie.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
How is this thread only 72 comments deep? As soon as we lose a game there are 450 comments....jeez. I think the people of this board only like to complain and don't have much to say when we do well. I'm still pumped from Saturday's crowd, it was so much fun and can't wait for the draft!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
My favorite team and season of the history of the franchise, even the playoff year!

Anyone seen any great highlight videos anywhere? I saw a great one 10TV played but it was on youtube from some persons cell phone, anyone know where I can get that? It was made to the opening music they used quite a bit and they used George's calls because Rimmer is a bore...Please post if anyone has that. Awesome season Jackets! Most fun I've had in years! Can't wait for next season!

?

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

I think it was Rick Nash's trade demand - a splash of cold reality that re-engaged our ownership group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad