2013 Prospect Camp

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
According to Rich Chere of the Newark Star Ledger:

Devils prospects camp opened today with goalie Anthony Brodeur and defenseman Steven Santini among those skating in the AmeriHealth Pavilion.

Former Devils forward Sergei Brylin was one of the coaches on the ice.

Brodeur, the son of Devils goalie Martin Brodeur, was a seventh round draft pick on June 30. He wore No, 50 and was among four goalies in camp, including Scott Wedgewood (60), Brandon Hope (65) and Jake Hildebrand (70).

The defensemen: Seth Helgeson (33), Eric Gelinas (37), Brandon Burlon (38), Santini )39), Curtis Gedig (42), Reece Scarlett (44), Matt Killian (51), Damon Severson (54), Zach Tolkinen (56), Oleg Yevenko (61)and Jon Merrill (34).

Forwards: Stefan Matteau (52), Derek Rodwell (36), Riley Boychuk 41), Artur Gavrus (43), Myles Bell (45), David Wohlberg (46), Alexander Kerfoot (47), Graham Black (48), Blake Pietila (49), Ryan Kujawinski (53), Miles Wood (55), Ben Thomson (57), Frank DiChiara (58), Reid Boucher (59), Cody Wydo (62), Ben Johnson (63), Blake Coleman (64), Ryan Misiak (66), Michael Ambrosia (67), Conor Sheary (68), Kyle Gibbons (71), Dmitry Antipin (72) and Nick Saracino (73).

Along with Brylin, the coaches were Pete DeBoer, Scott Stevens, Dave Barr and Chris Terreri.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
The defensemen: Seth Helgeson (33), Eric Gelinas (37), Brandon Burlon (38), Santini )39), Curtis Gedig (42), Reece Scarlett (44), Matt Killian (51), Damon Severson (54), Zach Tolkinen (56), Oleg Yevenko (61)and Jon Merrill (34).

There's a lot to like in that assemblage of D-men. Hopefully a few of them pan out in a moderately big way. The forwards, not so much, although hopefully I'd be happily proven wrong.

And we invited a Tolkinen? This guy has meme potential...

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Some names that stood out.

Ben Johnson apparently is still in the plans and Gavrus is at camp even though he is headed back to Europe next season-I think the KHL.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Will be tough to keep the ice in good shape this week with temps supposed to get up to the mid 90s til the weekend.

How cool would it be if the Devils actually let fans go see this camp?
It would enhance their connection to the team/organization.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
BPN0HFjCcAAX9M1.jpg

This makes me feel weird. And old.
Mostly old, though.

Rella17

May 21, 2010
Bergen
Will be tough to keep the ice in good shape this week with temps supposed to get up to the mid 90s til the weekend.

keep dreaming

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey

No it won't, that's why the take down the "main" ice, all the cooling systems get focused on the practice facility, and considering the much smaller size of the room to keep cold/dehumidify, the system works great.

------

Why do people have a fascination with seeing these guys practice? Only real die-hards would go, considering it all is during business hours during the week, so the amount of 'connections' it enhances is pretty low, IMHO. Maybe ~200 people show up during a weekday for this, tops.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
No it won't, that's why the take down the "main" ice, all the cooling systems get focused on the practice facility, and considering the much smaller size of the room to keep cold/dehumidify, the system works great.

------

Why do people have a fascination with seeing these guys practice? Only real die-hards would go, considering it all is during business hours during the week, so the amount of 'connections' it enhances is pretty low, IMHO. Maybe ~200 people show up during a weekday for this, tops.

They should let us diehards in one day of the week, to see a practice and scrimmage.
Diehard hockey fans enjoy seeing a glimpse of the future prospects.

The last time they opened it up to fans (about 4 years ago) it was a great time, fans enjoyed themselves.
The bleachers were filled.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Even if it's 200 people, what's the worst thing that can happen to the team if 200 heads are just looking at the future of our team practice for a couple of hours?

I'm not working this week and I can tell you right now that I would've drove all the way down to the practice facility with one of my buddy's just to catch a glimpse of Merrill, Severson, Matteau, etc.

It doesn't hurt the organisation but what it does is "piss off" like you say, the real "die hard" fans for no apparent reason. If the reason being that Lou want's our prospect to not be distracted by having a couple hundred people in the stands, then Lou should be more worried about the "mental toughness" of the players he drafted then anything else.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
When the Devils used to have training camp at SMA in WO, it was open to the public.

It was awesome for the diehard Devils fan.

I had many conversations with players who were not in that session, one of the best ones was with Jason Arnott. Great guy.

I also once sat near the Devils scouting brass and got to over-hear their conversations and evaluations of the younger players trying to make the club.

I even asked a scout a few questions, and he gave me his honest opinions of Petr Sykora before he made it to the NHL.
I think it was Marcel Pronovost.

There is no real good reason why they can't let 300-500 Devils fans into the practice rink for one session this week.

"security issues" is a bogus excuse.
They could easily hire a few security people for a few hours.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
They should let us diehards in one day of the week, to see a practice and scrimmage.
Diehard hockey fans enjoy seeing a glimpse of the future prospects.

The last time they opened it up to fans (about 4 years ago) it was a great time, fans enjoyed themselves.
The bleachers were filled.

But it does nothing to 'enhance' the connection to the team, to help sell tickets, etc. There's little for them to gain, so they won't.

Even if it's 200 people, what's the worst thing that can happen to the team if 200 heads are just looking at the future of our team practice for a couple of hours?

I'm not working this week and I can tell you right now that I would've drove all the way down to the practice facility with one of my buddy's just to catch a glimpse of Merrill, Severson, Matteau, etc.

It doesn't hurt the organisation but what it does is "piss off" like you say, the real "die hard" fans for no apparent reason. If the reason being that Lou want's our prospect to not be distracted by having a couple hundred people in the stands, then Lou should be more worried about the "mental toughness" of the players he drafted then anything else.

You're missing the entire point what I'm saying and the reasons why it's closed, again.

I thought it was security issues @ AmeriHealth that made them keep camps closed to the public?

That is a major, major part.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
hopefully they upload a video. that happened last year right? or maybe it was the actual camp they did that. o well

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
"security issues" is a bogus excuse.
They could easily hire a few security people for a few hours.

No, it is not. I've detailed it at length before.

If they hire security people, it becomes an event. They have to pay taxes and other fees to the city and state, even if it's free. They have to co-ordinate the police outside the building, a large expense, they have to arrange for parking/facilities use, they have to bring people in to organize it, they have to put up barriers at certain places inside, among many other things that have to take place.

It's not the expenses because there is no return, besides the "good will" of a few hundred already die hard fans.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
No, it is not. I've detailed it at length before.

If they hire security people, it becomes an event. They have to pay taxes and other fees to the city and state, even if it's free. They have to co-ordinate the police outside the building, a large expense, they have to arrange for parking/facilities use, they have to bring people in to organize it, they have to put up barriers at certain places inside, among many other things that have to take place.

It's not the expenses because there is no return, besides the "good will" of a few hundred already die hard fans.

I've attended a few of the skating events they have for kids and none of what you mentioned (that I bolded) was done.

Only a security guard or two was at the door.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
But it does nothing to 'enhance' the connection to the team, to help sell tickets, etc. There's little for them to gain, so they won't.

You're missing the entire point what I'm saying and the reasons why it's closed, again.

Out of 30 teams in the league, most of them allow fans in from what I can gather.
If it was not important, none of them would do so.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

So the way this organisation is runned is only if the "team" has something to gain, they'll organised some type of event? And what point were you trying to make exactly outside of "there's only 200 people that will attend on a week day"?

Fans in Montreal can attend every practice/scrimmage of the prospect camp and people actually do show up. I just don't see what the downfall would be for the Devils to do what everyone else is doing... for the fans.

If you can clarify your point, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $250.00