OT: 2013 Playoff Prediction and Discussion

Aug 3, 2010
Once again, the Flames and their fans are on the outside looking in (although looking in from a distance further than ever before) but I'm assuming most of us will still be following the playoffs.

So, who are you cheering for? Which series are you following the most? Which players are you cheering on? Which team do you think will meet up in the Conference or Stanley Cup Finals, or win it all?

I'm mostly following the Blackhawks right now - their overall skill level is pretty impressive and Quenneville has done a great job coaching a system that fits perfectly with their players. Even though they eked out the 2-1 OT win in their first game against the Blues, it was mostly offensive zone dominance over the course of the second period onward.
This series also lets me follow Bouwmeester, and I want to see how he perseveres under the pressure and physicality of the playoff atmosphere.

I'm also intereted to se a few Penguins games (mostly to see how Iginla has integrated into their system and how he's doing overall) but I'm not really that interested in their team. Would like to see the Islanders do well, and I'd probably end up following the Montreal/Ottawa series if I do watch an Eastern team; however I tend not to be able to catch their game times due to work, and I know the Western Conference players/teams better so there's a familiarity.

Teams to win the opening round:

Blackhawks over Wild in 5
Blues over Kings in 6
Ducks over Red Wings in 4
Sharks over Canucks in 6

Penguins over Islanders in 7
Bruins over Maple Leafs in 6
Senators over Canadiens in 5
Capitals over Rangers in 7

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Penguins will pump the Islanders. And it will take more than 4 games to defeat the wings in my mind. Can't see the Canadiens going down that easily either

FlamesFreak4

Oct 10, 2012
Calgary
Kings over Blues in 6
Ducks over Red Wings in 6
Sharks over Canucks in 7

Penguins over Islanders in 4
Senators over Canadiens in 6
Rangers over Capitals in 7

bigchief12

Feb 22, 2010
Calgary
Once again, the Flames and their fans are on the outside looking in (although looking in from a distance further than ever before) but I'm assuming most of us will still be following the playoffs.

So, who are you cheering for? Which series are you following the most? Which players are you cheering on? Which team do you think will meet up in the Conference or Stanley Cup Finals, or win it all?

I'm mostly following the Blackhawks right now - their overall skill level is pretty impressive and Quenneville has done a great job coaching a system that fits perfectly with their players. Even though they eked out the 2-1 OT win in their first game against the Blues, it was mostly offensive zone dominance over the course of the second period onward.
This series also lets me follow Bouwmeester, and I want to see how he perseveres under the pressure and physicality of the playoff atmosphere.

I'm also intereted to se a few Penguins games (mostly to see how Iginla has integrated into their system and how he's doing overall) but I'm not really that interested in their team. Would like to see the Islanders do well, and I'd probably end up following the Montreal/Ottawa series if I do watch an Eastern team; however I tend not to be able to catch their game times due to work, and I know the Western Conference players/teams better so there's a familiarity.

Teams to win the opening round:

Blues over Kings in 6
Ducks over Red Wings in 4
Sharks over Canucks in 6

Penguins over Islanders in 7
Senators over Canadiens in 5
Capitals over Rangers in 7

:laugh: oopsies....

I would love to see NYI push the pens in that series but not so likely. That's why they play the games though.

Aug 3, 2010
:laugh: oopsies....

I would love to see NYI push the pens in that series but not so likely. That's why they play the games though.
My bad, haha. Should have read Wild. :p Perhaps I am foreseeing the second round already... :naughty:

In all seriousness though, I've never cared for the Wild. I'm following the Blackhawks because IMO they have a tremendous team game with a lot of fast paced skill. The Wild should not be in the playoffs. Should have been Columbus IMO, and it would have been a fun series. Just because I'm watching Chicago doesn't mean I think their first round match-up is any good to watch... I heard the Blues/Kings game was much more entertaining and dynamic. I'm hoping the Sharks - Canucks games will be entertaining as well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As evidenced by my avatar I a squarely on the Islanders bandwagon. They have always been my #2 team.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Kings over Blues in 6
Ducks over Red Wings in 6
Canucks over Sharks in 6

Penguins over Islanders in 6
Senators over Canadiens in 7
Capitals over Rangers in 6

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
What a game last night, LA @ STL. I give it a /10. Huge hits, lots of action, and an amazing OT goal!

Aug 3, 2010
What a game last night, LA @ STL. I give it a /10. Huge hits, lots of action, and an amazing OT goal!

I wasn't watching that game but I did see the highlights. Could you or anyone here tell me where L.A.'s defence were? Because Quick literally had to deal with the St. Louis player one on one, fumbled, and lost. Where was the defensive zone support?

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I wasn't watching that game but I did see the highlights. Could you or anyone here tell me where L.A.'s defence were? Because Quick literally had to deal with the St. Louis player one on one, fumbled, and lost. Where was the defensive zone support?

True, Carter and Doughty were slow to come back, but Quick had all day to put that puck in a safe location. 5 times last night I cringed at some of his puck handling / management.. Trying to be to fancy.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

Quick had a ton of time left, so he took his time. He was just a little too "comfortable" with his surroundings. :laugh: Also, if this means anything, the Kings were on a 4min PP.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
True, Carter and Doughty were slow to come back, but Quick had all day to put that puck in a safe location. 5 times last night I cringed at some of his puck handling / management.. Trying to be to fancy.

Peca discussed this on the TSN panel yesterday. Quick has issues with handling the puck and the rest of the Kings know this. Doughty and Carter's lack of urgency in coming back and helping their goaltender out was in Peca's mind just as much responsible for the goal as Quick was.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I predict the Pengiuns to win the East because they are the deepest team. The West on the other hand is tough because its anyone's to win, but I'll say St. Louis.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Penguins destroying the Islanders 5-0 late in the second.

Bruins manhandling the Leafs going into the third period.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It is probably going to be a Penguins/Blackhawks final.

I hate it, but it will probably be what happens.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I know I am late to the party but I was moving without internet (just about killed me :laugh:)

Hawks in 4
Blues in 7
Ducks in 6
Sharks in 7

Pens in 5
Bruins in 5
Sens in 6
Caps in 7

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I'm only predicting 1 upset NYR over WSH
hell if I were to guess all rounds I think I only have 3
BOS over MON and PIT over CHI :amazed: wimpy picking this year.

Pens (4)___Hawks (5)
Rags (7)___Nucks (6)
Habs (7)___Ducks (6)
Bruins (6)__Blues (6)

Had to find my prediction from before the first game :laugh:
That Canucks one is looking good after watch the sharks dominate the majority of that game

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
With the way the Maple Leafs/Bruins game ended, I expect a totally different game on Saturday.

Gary83*

Looks like Sharks are still the only team Vancouver hasn't beat from the West this year.

TylerSVT*

I don't care as long as the Canucks get steamrolled early.

Aug 3, 2010
I don't care as long as the Canucks get steamrolled early.
Steamrolled or not, I never want the Canucks to win the Cup, or at least not until Calgary has a few more under their belt. Thankfully, their current window is closing fast and their team doesn't have enough heart to make up for declining skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad