2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 3

Racer14

Always Watching
May 16, 2011
Was Noah Jordan supposed to go a little earlier than he did?

Anyone mind giving a quick recap of Windsor's draft?

Found Werenski to London pretty funny. They would take him... clever, sneaky, and smart those Hunter brothers.

Was nice seeing Vande Sompel taken where he was. Bit of a gamble by Oshawa considering he didn't play very much this year. Good for him.

Mayo at 42 to Erie is interesting. That could pan out nicely.

Thanks to the regular contributors once again. This has to be the best source of "free" info on the age group every year. Hope it continues.

2nd round talk was there up until the draft...big time drop

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Was Noah Jordan supposed to go a little earlier than he did?

Anyone mind giving a quick recap of Windsor's draft?

Found Werenski to London pretty funny. They would take him... clever, sneaky, and smart those Hunter brothers.

Was nice seeing Vande Sompel taken where he was. Bit of a gamble by Oshawa considering he didn't play very much this year. Good for him.

Mayo at 42 to Erie is interesting. That could pan out nicely.

Thanks to the regular contributors once again. This has to be the best source of "free" info on the age group every year. Hope it continues.

Vande Sompel has the feet to keep up with any elite forward. It was not much of a risk to me. Some players mentioned him being a royal pain to play against, tough to beat that kid wide.

Noah Jordan could be a steal at that pick. Needs to get stronger and tougher. He doesnt use his size to his advantage. He plays small. Skates well for a bigger guy.

Mayo is not bad for that spot I think. If I was controlling the reins in Erie, I would have taken Riley Bruce. I cant believe how smooth and how well Bruce can skate for his 6-6 height. Erie should have selected Zach Wilkie in the second round. Increible top speed Wilkie has, Viscious hitter, big slap shot. It was awesome watching Wilkie dump and chase on the rush as a Dman.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
For all you Marner fans out there.

He has been playing for the St. Michael's Buzzers , during their playoff run, and has seen limited role in first 3 rounds. This Final round against Newmarket, he has been playing on the 2nd line with a veteran and another rookie, and he has been shining.

Yesterday, he was clearly the best player on the ice between the 2 teams, and was playing against 20year olds, in the final. He was first star of the game, and could have had 3 goals.

London will definitely be happy with their future star. He is presently 5'9.5" and needs to fill out.

I am sure my buddies Mapleleaf and Tigers were interested in reading an update on my sleeper pick. :handclap:

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
For all you Marner fans out there.

He has been playing for the St. Michael's Buzzers , during their playoff run, and has seen limited role in first 3 rounds. This Final round against Newmarket, he has been playing on the 2nd line with a veteran and another rookie, and he has been shining.

Yesterday, he was clearly the best player on the ice between the 2 teams, and was playing against 20year olds, in the final. He was first star of the game, and could have had 3 goals.

London will definitely be happy with their future star. He is presently 5'9.5" and needs to fill out.

I am sure my buddies Mapleleaf and Tigers were interested in reading an update on my sleeper pick. :handclap:

lol, Yes Im very interested. ;) Ive been out to watch that series and your right he has been good, he has been pretty good all year as an AP for the Buzzers. I saw him also earlier on before Christmas I think for the Buzzers. Games are foggy, I watched about 250 minor midget games and other leagues.

I heard rumblings during the Marlboro classic tourney he would probably be a London pick. The head scout of the Knights, Lindsay Hofford is very familar with him, trains or coaches him I believe. Im not sure Marner was willing to go anywhere. Thats what I have heard. Good on him for being selected #19, I never doubted his skill, just a size and strength issue and how that can be exposed on the ice in certain situations. He is a pretty slippery player and can stick handle in a phone booth. More important than height for him, is just hitting the gym and gaining weight. His playmaking skills are evident.

U predicted #15 for Mitch "Grand" Marner (kudos to Garyboy for the nickname) early in the year, good job to place him there chewer.

Thanks for helping keep this thread alive pre- Christmas, it seemed like it was just yourself and I.

See u here, same time, same place, next year for the 98 group. Thanks to all the posters in this thread this year, u know who u are. ;)

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
I agree, the thread should continue to have a heartbeat, but given that the 98's are on the radar, we will just have to monitor the 97's going forward.

With Marner, he does have to put some weight and strength on, but in due time. He is still growing, and London can have him gradually introduced into the team late next year or maybe 2nd year.

I predicted that McCool and Capobianco would find their names in the top 10, but I didnt believe it would be 6 and 7. WOW. Got to hand it to the agent, as he did his job, as most people didnt see neither of them as 10 picks. Tigers is probably losing sleep because of the power of the agent. LOL

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Got to hand it to the agent, as he did his job, as most people didnt see neither of them as 10 picks. Tigers is probably losing sleep because of the power of the agent. LOL

Be careful about that, some had Capo as a mid to late first, but a significant amount of people had him in the top 10. McCool was a bit less of a guarantee, but with the lack of difference making forwards, he was gaurninteed to be a top 10 pick.

With regards to agents, I just know your wrong. Having sat in the room and been part of the decision making, 'who is the agent' was about 8th on the list. Some agents have relationships with teams that will move a player a few spots ahead, but no one takes a top 10 pick as a favor.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Be careful about that, some had Capo as a mid to late first, but a significant amount of people had him in the top 10. McCool was a bit less of a guarantee, but with the lack of difference making forwards, he was gaurninteed to be a top 10 pick.

With regards to agents, I just know your wrong. Having sat in the room and been part of the decision making, 'who is the agent' was about 8th on the list. Some agents have relationships with teams that will move a player a few spots ahead, but no one takes a top 10 pick as a favor.

Before teams pick a player, especially in the first round, the teams will have to do their diligence and contact the player/agent and confirm that they will report. If the player/agent refuse to report, then the team has to think Plan B. Some Agents wont deal with certain teams, and certain teams will not deal with certain agents.

For example alot of players/agents wont report to certain teams, and for this reason some kids get drafted higher than expected, because they and their agent are willing to report to that team. It happens alot with the northern teams, and some US teams. I dont need to name them, as we all know who they are.

When you say "I am wrong", and if you are right, then HoSang should have been drafted 2nd last year, and Mccool and Capobianco should have been drafted out of the top 10, and Marcuantuoni would have not dropped to 17, and so on.... :sarcasm:

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
When you say "I am wrong", and if you are right, then HoSang should have been drafted 2nd last year, and Mccool and Capobianco should have been drafted out of the top 10, and Marcuantuoni would have not dropped to 17, and so on.... :sarcasm:

Well, Marcantuoni committed to Michigan. He played the NCAA game to get to a certain spot. And I completely disagree, but HoSang was rated 7th by OHL Central last year, so 5th isn't that big of a stretch. He would have gone 1st had McDavid not gotten ES, but after that the other option may have been 4th. the Fronts and Petes were not going to draft him, for different reasons.

Can agents make a different on one or two spots, sure. But to suggest that players who are no where near top 10 selections become them just because an agent makes a phone call, come on...only one person could do that, and its not an agent.

GM's don't put their jobs on the line to make an agent happy. Some agents play games, sure, but at the end of the day the effect is minimal. 2-3 spot shuffles aren't really a massive difference.

Last edited:

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
HoSang should have been drafted 2nd last year

Interesting point, but I dont think so. Mckeown was a better selection at #2. Best Dman in the draft with a long distance runners endurance. He competed so hard, he never wanted to come off the ice. He fit a team need as well in Kingston. U knew what u were getting from Mckeown game to game, with Hosang u werent sure if he was going to showboat all game or try and play hockey. It was an extreme with him.

Hosang's value declined over the course of his minor midget year, starting before Christmas. At the same time, Hosang has #2 skill level behind Mcdavid but does not always know how to use it the right way and that fact alone continues to hurt his potential in my eyes. A focused Hosang could contend for the OHL scoring title in upcoming years but he seems too interested in self promotion, dangling, toe drags and turning pucks over.

The Capobianco selection in my eyes was too early. I think he was a late first round pick. If Im an opposing team, I dump it into his corner in the OHL and wear him down in the corner, he will be over-matched. He has excellent puck moving skills but he is a very wirey kid, weighing around 150 pounds. Dman take longer to develop, I think Capo struggles in Year 1 more than say Troy Henley.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Interesting point, but I dont think so. Mckeown was a better selection at #2. Best Dman in the draft with a long distance runners endurance. He competed so hard, he never wanted to come off the ice. He fit a team need as well in Kingston. U knew what u were getting from Mckeown game to game, with Hosang u werent sure if he was going to showboat all game or try and play hockey. It was an extreme with him.

Hosang's value declined over the course of his minor midget year, starting before Christmas. At the same time, Hosang has #2 skill level behind Mcdavid but does not always know how to use it the right way and that fact alone continues to hurt his potential in my eyes. A focused Hosang could contend for the OHL scoring title in upcoming years but he seems too interested in self promotion, dangling, toe drags and turning pucks over.

The Capobianco selection in my eyes was too early. I think he was a late first round pick. If Im an opposing team, I dump it into his corner in the OHL and wear him down in the corner, he will be over-matched. He has excellent puck moving skills but he is a very wirey kid, weighing around 150 pounds. Dman take longer to develop, I think Capo struggles in Year 1 more than say Troy Henley.

We agreed that Mckeown should have gone #2, because Fronts could have secured a solid forward at #9, as they did with Bennett. However, most of the bloggers on the site felt that HoSang was the cream of the draft, behind McDavid.

I still think there is a situation brewing with Capobianco and the team, and agent/player, and he may be packaged and moved to a team that he really wants to go to. I cant see the Wolved slotting him into the lineup with 8 dmen already signed and with DeHaan progressing. For the Wolves to pick #7 overall and not slot him into the lineup would be a total failure.

Time will tell.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Last year when I said that Crouse would be top 5 pick, Marner would go in first round, and Capobianco and McCool would go in top 10, everybody said I was insane and crazy.

Well ladies and gents, I just opened my new office at the CAMH (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health). :help::yo:

You can come and visit me, but I dont have any windows in my office, but my floors and walls are very soft. LOL

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
We agreed that Mckeown should have gone #2, because Fronts could have secured a solid forward at #9, as they did with Bennett. However, most of the bloggers on the site felt that HoSang was the cream of the draft, behind McDavid.

Ya at least that was the Fronts plan to select Bennett at #9. Bennett was in a Kingston hotel and Kingston management were praying that Owen Sound would not select Bennett at #8. It would have been pretty messy to have him selected by Owen Sound and have Bennett in Kingston waiting. If the draft was held today Sam Bennett would be selected ahead of Hosang and inside the Top 5, maybe as high as #2. Bennett will be a first round NHL pick.

Last edited:

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Ya at least that was the Fronts plan to select Bennett at #9. Bennett was in a Kingston hotel and Kingston management were praying that Owen Sound would not select Bennett at #8. It would have been pretty messy to have him selected by Owen Sound and have Bennett in Kingston waiting. If the draft was held today Sam Bennett would be selected ahead of Hosang and inside the Top 5, maybe as high as #2. Bennett will be a first round NHL pick.

Agree 100%.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
St. Michael Buzzers won the OJHL championships yesterday at the Barn, 3-1 in Game 7. It was a great game, and only 1 penalty called for each team. Both goalies played well.

Buzzers came out flying in 3rd period with 2 goals and Newmarket couldnt recover.

FIRST STAR AGAIN, WITH 2 GOALS WAS MARNER. 15 YEAR OLD PLAYING WITH 19 AND 20 YEAR OLDS, AND CLEARLY THE MOST DYNAMIC AND SKILLED PLAYER ON THE ICE. KID IS OVER 5'9" AND STILL GROWING AND FILLING IN. LONDON KNIGHTS STOLE THE DRAFT BY PICKING HIM AT #19.

Alot of other high end players were playing and faired very well, like Evans, Conacher, Neville, but Marner was the cream of the crop. Conacher was voted Playoff MVP, but it could have easily gone to the goalie -Ignani.

Now they move on to North Bay to play in the Dudley Hewitt Championship. Go Buzzers Go.

Northofusa

Oct 10, 2012
Im sorry to be a little off topic but I have a question I cant find an answer too . Can a drafted player be traded to another team . Even though this prospect will not make a roster spot for the team he was drafted too can another team request him in a trade.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Im sorry to be a little off topic but I have a question I cant find an answer too . Can a drafted player be traded to another team . Even though this prospect will not make a roster spot for the team he was drafted too can another team request him in a trade.

Yes,but only 1st rders,if a player does not want to report,said team can trade him for picks only and will get compensatory 1st rd pick the next draft,these players are called defected players and must be dealt prior to start of season,other 1st rders can be dealt on trade deadline day in Jan,otherwise any 16 year old drafted after the 1st rd cannot be dealt until Aug after the 1st season
Any player drafted 17 years old or older can be traded anytime within league regulations and timetables

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad